Author Topic: DOORS LOCKED AT SHOOTER'S LOUNGE!  (Read 2891 times)

Offline marlinman93

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
DOORS LOCKED AT SHOOTER'S LOUNGE!
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2004, 12:19:55 PM »
I guess I'm in the minority on this one. I rarely looked at "Shooter's Lounge" and didn't realise it was a forum where "regulars" hung out. As a matter of fact, the reason I stayed away from it, was the lack of any interesting gun information.
 To look at a forum made up of bickering, name calling, and political posts, is just not my cup of tea. I can go to almost any open forum and get that. When I go to a gun forum, it's with the idea I'll get to read gun related posts. Seems like nowadays, most folks would rather talk anything but guns at a gun forum.
 As for the lack of moderation, I always figured adults wouldn't need someone telling them what is polite, or what is not nice. The fact that it had to be closed tells me I must be in the minority on that thinking also.
Ballard, the great American Rifles!

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2004, 12:23:22 PM »
Quote from: marlinman93
As for the lack of moderation, I always figured adults wouldn't need someone telling them what is polite, or what is not nice.
Dali Llama say that some so-called adults apparently do need someone to remind them not to engage in inappropriate name calling. :(  :(  :(
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline RIFLERANGER

• Avid Poster
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2004, 02:13:03 PM »
Quote from: Dali Llama
Quote from: jh45gun
The Shooter's Lounge Forum at MarlinOwners has been shut down and locked up by its administrator. No new posts or editing of existing posts are presently allowed at the forum.

The following quite pointed commentary was offered by Larry, "Head Cook and Bottle Washer" at MarlinOwners:
"When I started this I stated no political posts, no personal attacks but it seems that was ignored. I'm not one to set here and nit-pick threads. I opened this forum with reservations and now it ends. The privilage[sic] was abused. Don't let me see this crap showing up in other forums. I am pissed and I will not tolerate it."

In spite of the above, numerous other theories and rumors abound as to the reason for the shutdown of the forum, but none can be substantiated at this point. The final post on the forum, at 5:36 a.m. this morning, was made my a poster named "Leftoverdj" and was in a discussion thread entitled "Same-sex couples are excellent parents." Accordingly, sources who wish to remain anonymous have attributed the closure of Shooter's Lounge to the recent proliferation of similar provocative posts dealing with subject matter oftentimes considered controversial in current American society. A relatively new forum member from Texas has frequently been linked to recent disputes among members, so some blame him for the forum shutdown. A long-term forum member from California has angrily attacked and disparaged those with opinions that differ from his own, and has indicated a desire for censorship on the forum. It is also noteworthy that another long-term forum member stated just last night that he was leaving the forum due to recent controversies among his fellow forum members, but was seen lingering in the neighborhood this morning. It is readily apparent that controversy and conflict were pervasive at Shooter's Lounge in recent weeks.

No firm dates have been provided regarding the permanence of the shutdown at Shooter's Lounge. Several forum members have expressed glimmers of hope for reinstatement of what they have described as their personal "entitlement" to make posts at Shooter's Lounge. We will keep you apprised as further developments transpire.

See all you folks that say Dali only cuts and paste? Not so he writes a pretty good news clipping.  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:
Dali Llama say he sometimes able string together a word or two when it be appropriate. :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

I always knew you could......

Ranger
"HAVE YOU HUGGED YOUR RIFLES TODAY ?!"

Offline tubbythetuba

• Avid Poster
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2004, 02:36:40 PM »
RIP for the second time this year.  It's too bad.....  What amazes me is that the ones that were offended by a un-moderated format had every other type of easy going format right there at the same place. Every one of those fourms had an off/on switch. I guess some just chose to be offended. I also wonder what the real reason was.....very un-Larry-like.  I'll lurk and post in the others, but the Lounge was the heart and soul of MO...........I hope it lasts. I know I won't contribute again unless the freedom is restored to the lounge.
That Sound You Hear In The Woods While Hunting  Is Deer Laughing

Offline VTDW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.geocities.com/vtdw336/great_outdoors.html
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2004, 02:45:21 PM »
Tubby,

You can always stay here and post in the Dolly forum.

Dave :)
www.marlinowners.com
How did I get over the hill without getting to the top?

http://photobucket.com/albums/v354/vtdw1/

Offline tubbythetuba

• Avid Poster
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2004, 03:30:09 PM »
Quote from: VTDW
Tubby,

That would be good company, as well! Out of respect for Mr GB's rules, I was better off over there at the time; what we thought was an un-moderated format was not, it seems. I hope he was just having a little male menopause :wink:

Offline Major

• A Real Regular
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2004, 03:34:37 PM »
Tubby,

Yes, Dali do seem to think this be his other home...  :P    :lol:    :lol:
Deactivated as trouble maker

Offline BamBams

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2004, 03:39:05 PM »
Tubby, my experience here at Greybeard's has been that I can post anything I like.  The rules are extremely easy to follow as well.  I look at it this way:  Greybeard provides a service I don't often really think about. He gets rid of the kooks so we don't have to deal with them ourselves! *smiles*
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline tubbythetuba

• Avid Poster
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2004, 03:43:49 PM »
Quote from: BamBams
Tubby, my experience here at Greybeard's has been that I can post anything I like.  The rules are extremely easy to follow as well.  I look at it this way:  Greybeard provides a service I don't often really think about. He gets rid of the kooks so we don't have to deal with them ourselves! *smiles*

It's so much more satisfactory stomping one's own snakes :-)  Heck, even Dali and I reached an accord of sorts :-)  There's hope in the world yet!!!

Offline BamBams

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2004, 03:51:43 PM »
Oh I totally agree!  Have you ever known me to back down from an attacking moron?  The problem is that what is often required to "stomp those snakes" is the very thing that people with virgin ears and softer hearts cannot handle reading!  Ummmm......I'd say it's what you and I call TRUTH!  *smiles*  I'm kinda in the same boat with Jim though - wondering which post snapped the camel's back?  I'm thinking it was my "anti-gay" post.  Is Larry gay by any chance?  I never asked him. *laughing*
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2004, 04:12:55 PM »
Tubby,

Dali Llama say that if VTDW be referring to DALI[/color] and VTDW be having spelling difficulties, this forum not belong to Dali and such remark be inappropriate.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2004, 04:18:49 PM »
I'm kinda in the same boat with Jim though - wondering which post snapped the camel's back?  I'm thinking it was my "anti-gay" post.  Is Larry gay by any chance?
:eek:  :eek: Dali Llama say perhaps it do be noteworthy that last post be by Leftoverdj on thread about children being raised by same-sex "partners"....  :cry:  :cry:

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2004, 04:23:14 PM »
Quote from: tubbythetuba
Heck, even Dali and I reached an accord of sorts

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2004, 04:26:13 PM »
what we thought was an un-moderated format was not, it seems.

Ain't that the truth, reply Dali Llama!

Offline tubbythetuba

• Avid Poster
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2004, 04:26:48 PM »
*snip*.  Is Larry gay by any chance?  I never asked him. *laughing*

:-D This might not be the best day to ask :-D  :-D

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2004, 04:29:34 PM »
*snip*.  Is Larry gay by any chance?  I never asked him. *laughing*

:-D This might not be the best day to ask :-D  :-D

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2004, 05:30:50 PM »
Tubby,

Dave this is not the dolly forum and I take offense to that. I do not cause trouble at your site here at GB's please do not do the same here. If your idea of a joke fine I guess I did not see the humor in it.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline BamBams

« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2004, 05:39:08 PM »
yea!  your "eye" "....and your little dog Toto too!"  Sorry, I just couldn't resist seeing a little humor here.  *smiles*
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline tubbythetuba

• Avid Poster
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2004, 05:39:23 PM »
Tubby,

yea and you can keep your eye and your smart mouth comments to your area if you are going to come here and cause trouble!  :x

Yep, spoken just like the same person I've been used to.  I've never understood why on MO you were just as freewheeling and vocal as anyone else, but here, you have this little Hitler complex. You show me any rule I've broken........I didn't think so. If you keep this up, I will take it to Mr GB personally........he does not allow moderaters to abuse members in good standing. The ball is in your court, sir.

Offline BamBams

« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2004, 05:47:09 PM »
Jim, here's the issue as I see it.  Dali will often flood the forum with like....ummmmm....I dunno.....maybe 20 new articles at a time?  When people come to the forum, all they see is a long string of Dali posts and little to nothing else.  If there were any posts they were interested in participating with, they are gonna be someplace way down at the bottom also.

Now this isn't necessarily a "problem" but I can understand the point of view that it can be annoying to some.  I've never had any kind of serious problem with Dali, or with what he posts.  Sometimes, I get a real kick out of him actually, and I definitely love playing "3rd person tag" with him on occassion as well.

Having said all this.  Maybe it's time to seek a little cooperation from Dali in terms of his being a little more sensitive to what other's would like around here?  Just a suggestion.  If we ALL continue to work together and be respectful of one another, there is no reason that this place cannot always be a pleasant and comfortable place to post.

Just my 5 cents worth.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2004, 05:52:48 PM »
Tubby,

yea and you can keep your eye and your smart mouth comments to your area if you are going to come here and cause trouble!  :x

Yep, spoken just like the same person I've been used to.  I've never understood why on MO you were just as freewheeling and vocal as anyone else, but here, you have this little Hitler complex. You show me any rule I've broken........I didn't think so. If you keep this up, I will take it to Mr GB personally........he does not allow moderaters to abuse members in good standing. The ball is in your court, sir.

No Hitler complex at all First of all I said already I was as vocal at Larrys site as any one when in Rome ect! BUT I really am tired of every one saying this is Dali's site when it is not so the hell with it I quit and GB can get some one else to moderate this forum it is not worh argueing with a bunch of aholes who at one moment say you are a good guy and the next min say you are a jerk. Not worth my time! Have a blast!

Offline BamBams

« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2004, 05:52:53 PM »
I don't see Jim as having a "Hitler" complex at all, and he hasn't abused anyone.  I see him as someone being responsible in trying to thwart any trouble before it occurs - and that's precisely what Graybeard would expect from him as a moderator.  VTDW's poke at Tubby was uncalled for and unneccessary.  So why say it at all?  He got warned that he was heading down the wrong path.  If Dave has a problem with Dali being here, he certainly didn't need to take it out on Tubby by trying to discourage Tubby's participation here with snide remarks.  Jim was simply trying to keep the peace in my opinion, and there is NOTHING wrong with that?

Now instead of dealing with VTDW's poke at Tubby, Tubby calls Jim a "Hitler."  Can't you guys see the problem, and why it drags everything down?  It's as plain as day to me!  I'm beginning to think some of you (TUBBY) folks have serious problems with any kind of authority.  In order to lead well my good friends, you've gotta learn to follow well first!
It's fact of life that everyone has to answer to somebody for what they do, so get over it will ya?

If anyone goes, it certainly shouldn't be Jim!  Get your butt back over here where you belong Jim!

PS:  Tubby, we've known eachother for years now, and I've always been straight up with you.  If you think you're going to start any crap here between Graybeard, yourself, and Jim, you are in for a rude awakening my friend.  Maybe it's time to look "within" for solutions on this one.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline tubbythetuba

• Avid Poster
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2004, 06:16:44 PM »
BamBams, I didn't take Dave's comment as a snide remark.  Jim has already deleted his remark to me, but you can see it quoted in a couple of places........can you?  Here it is:  

"yea and you can keep your eye and your smart mouth comments to your area if you are going to come here and cause trouble! :x"

Bams, clearly he has taken an issue from "over there" and brought it over here............also clearly, you cannot possibly see where I deserved any of that HERE at this place.........clearly, I've followed the rules here and only responded after being attacked.  This is the way it was months ago when the MT people started coming over here, Jim raising heck before anything actually happened.  I always have and always will follow the house rules........did before and did today. Jim clearly can not control his emotions from forum to forum.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2004, 06:24:27 PM »
Sorry Bambams I have had enough I will still post here and moderate the rimfire site if GB still wants me to but I have had enough of Tubby and friends let them find a new whipping boy. How I enforce the rules here and how I act at a other forum is completely irrelevent. This place has rules Larrys place was free wheeling until today when it came crashing down. This site has been dead for along time until Larrys place crashed then Tubby comes back and makes trouble until then he could not be bothered to post at this (Hitler run site) Nope I have had enough. I will hopefully still be around and will post so see you then.

Offline BamBams

« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2004, 06:26:07 PM »
Tubby,

You didn't take it that way, but other people did.  I sure did.  In fact, I was suprised that Dave would come at you and Dali that way.  Now, maybe we HAVE misunderstood Dave here, and if so, hey, that happens also.  What about it Dave?

Jim isn't any tyrant.  I've been around here long enough now to know better.  You're exaggerating his use of authority in my opinion.

I just don't want to see the EXACT SAME CRAP happen here that happened on MT and MO.  I promise you, this is a hill I am willing to die on.  Graybeard actually DOES invest his best efforts on this BBS -- which ought to be obvious to everyone, and I support those efforts with my participation here. I'm not going to sit back and stand for people taking jibes at one another and dragging everyone down.  Fun is fun, but people need to learn a little self-control and respect.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2004, 06:28:31 PM »
Yea I did change my post I let my temper get the best of me so I changed it. Considering none of you critics have been here for months then come here after larry shut down I find it ironic that now you can complain when this place had cobwebs before if it was because of my moderating well so be it you will not have to suffer through it again.

Offline BamBams

« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2004, 06:38:35 PM »
I can understand being sick of crap Jim, but I cannot understand taking things to heart when they are wrong.  You've been a moderator here for a long time now, and you are human like anyone else, I respect your wishes, and if you go, I'll go also just to stand with you -- BECAUSE YOU ARE RIGHT in what you did.  So since Jim is going --- Graybeard, please cancel my moderator status immediately on your BBS also.  Unlike you Jim, I won't be posting.

Cheers people!  It's been an interesting ride.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline tubbythetuba

• Avid Poster
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2004, 06:39:29 PM »
Yea I did change my post I let my temper get the best of me so I changed it. Considering none of you critics have been here for months then come here after larry shut down I find it ironic that now you can complain when this place had cobwebs before if it was because of my moderating well so be it you will not have to suffer through it again.

Jim, you are wrong. I lurk here all the time and I knew there would be information about the Lounge so I dropped in. I usually don't post because of the rules here.....that would show respect, don't it??  You have brought an issue from another board here.......you started it, not me.  Don't be so paranoid and please leave me alone if I am not breaking the rules. You're the Boss here, but Boss's have to follow the rules, too. Like you said, over there is over there.......here is here........I know the difference, do YOU? Wanna bury the hatchet? that's good.....if not.....well, that's too bad :-)  Your choice. Blaine

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2004, 06:54:41 PM »
I can understand being sick of crap Jim, but I cannot understand taking things to heart when they are wrong.  You've been a moderator here for a long time now, and you are human like anyone else, I respect your wishes, and if you go, I'll go also just to stand with you -- BECAUSE YOU ARE RIGHT in what you did.  So since Jim is going --- Graybeard, please cancel my moderator status immediately on your BBS also.  Unlike you Jim, I won't be posting.

Cheers people!  It's been an interesting ride.

BamBams do not quit your moderator status just because I quit this site. I still am going to Moderate  at the Rimfire rifles site and GB needs  good moderators which I feel you are. Not fair to Bill to lose 2 folks on the same nite for the actions of a  few. I have my reasons and While I really appreciate your support do not quit I will see you at your site and post there so stay around for my sake and Bills. Please!    :oops: Jim

Offline BamBams

« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2004, 06:59:35 PM »
Oh one last thing before I disappear into oblivion here.......

Tubby,

What you quoted as Jim's remark to you, was not a remark made to you.  It was directly made to Dave.  You may have made a mistake there.

Cheers again fellows, and remember one thing, life is too short!
NRA Handgun Instructor