Author Topic: Burris FF2  (Read 456 times)

Offline crackshot

• Trade Count: (0)
Burris FF2
« on: August 10, 2004, 04:18:37 PM »
Read on another forum that they had a Burris FF2 and was not happy with the light gathering capabilities.  Anyone have similiar or different opinions as I was really thinking of buying on in the 3.5-10x50 or the 4.5-14x42?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Burris FF2
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 05:52:16 PM »
Optical instuments (scopes included) DO NOT gather light. They transmit it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline crackshot

• Trade Count: (0)
scope
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 06:07:27 PM »
GB,  :D  I know that scopes transmit light, I was just writing what I read on the other forums and was trying to get another opinion.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Burris FF2
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 06:51:06 PM »
IT is just such a common misconception that scopes and binoculars actually do "gather" light that I have to respond to it when I see it. I wish I had an opinion for you on those scopes but have never used or owned a Burris Full Field or FF2 either. I did own a Signature 2-8 but didn't care for it and sold it off cheap and replaced it with a Bushnell Elite 3200 2-7. I'm much happier now.

I will say what I've often said here and in other places. You just plain don't need a scope with an objective of over 40mm or with a power over 9X at the upper end for any legal big game hunting in the US. Hogs in TX or predators at night where legal maybe but even then I honestly don't think so. In both situations you can and normally will either hunt on well moon lit nights or use artifical light for the shot. Given that a quality scope with multi coated optics and a 40MM or so objective and a magnification range of 2-7, 2.5-8 or 3-9 is all that is needed for ethical shooting during legal shooting hours.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!