Author Topic: Scope VS Reddot  (Read 539 times)

Offline jh45gun

• Trade Count: (0)
Scope VS Reddot
« on: August 11, 2004, 03:59:49 AM »
This has nothing to really do with guns but more so about optics. While I have a red dot on my shotgun and love it on that I have not really been satisfied with them on any rifle or pistol. I had one on my encore 308 and took it off as the scope was much more precise and the encore is so accurate it would be a shame not to get all the accuracy it can deliver. I still have one I suppose I could put on a plinker. I did not even like it on my Muzzle loader. Well last year when I bought a Entry level Barnett Crossbow it came with a cheap red dot. Crossbows do not need anything real sturdy as some may think a cheap air gun /22 scope or red dot will take any thing a crossbow will deliver. Well the red dot was good enough to allow me to shoot 2 deer with it last year but I was not that happy with the accuracy. SO this year I looked for a  used cheap scope at the gun shops and rummage sales none were to be found. SO finally I called Wally world and asked about a cheap 22/airgun scope  (3/4 inch) as My crossbow model came with either a red dot or a scope  like that when I bought mine the only one they had left came with the red dot.  Well wally world had a cheap and I mean Cheap BSA for under 8 bucks  :)  :)  :)  I put it on and went to try it out yesterday. Well I got rained out yesterday sighting it in but did shoot 6 bolts will go back and fine tune it today to center the target. In the 6 bolts I shot the last 3 were in a tight cluster some thing I never got with the red dot which you would think at bow ranges would work just as good. Well it does not the scope is better by far. Darned if this scope even though it is cheap it does work well for this application. Also this Barnett bow is a lightweight model I might put a compact scope on in the future if I found on but the 22 scope fits in looks and weight Looking forward to getting it centered on target today.  :) While a expensive crossbow scope with the built in crosshairs for different ranges would be nice this scope will do just fine as when I bow hunted I only used one pin and used Kentucky windage when shooting at different distances I can and will do the same with the scope.   8)
Got her sighted in today and its perfect! @ 10 yards aim a couple inches low at 20 right on at 30 aim a couple inches high to put them right in there. Lots better than the red dot for sure!
 Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.