Author Topic: Tweaking your NEF/H&R for better accuracy.  (Read 1587 times)

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
Tweaking your NEF/H&R for better accuracy.
« on: August 12, 2004, 11:49:44 AM »
Since I did so many different things to my 25-06 I thought of sharing my procedures with everybody on my web site. This not to say you need to do all of it. But if you feel ambitious, please have go at it. At any rate it may save you some powder and bullets,ha. :grin:

If anybody has some good tweaks I'm glad to add them to my page.

Click on the "WWW" below then to item 24 to page two.  Fred M.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
Tweaking your NEF/H&R for better accura
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2004, 07:02:33 AM »
I have since added some handloading info and revised some of my writings. I have to confess that I am not a literary expert and my editor is is a long ways away. Also so many have looked at my article I have not as yet seen a single comment, which I find rather disenchanting. Fred M
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2004, 07:32:07 AM »
Good info, Fred! Thanks! I've decided not to do anything to mine til I get some more range time. I was going to bed the forend but after reading too many threads on rifle mods, the one thing that everyone agrees on is if it ain't broke, don't fix it, so I'll wait to see if it's broke, first. :wink: .....Any results with the rem 100gr psp? I bought a couple boxes from bimart, they had em on sale for $11 a box. Haven't been to the range yet, though. I've read a couple threads on other boards praising the .25-06 handi for it's accuracy, thinkin maybe you got one of the few lemons out there as did Longcruise with his .223. Thanks again, Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline borg1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 09:36:48 AM »
What is the url to your web site?

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 10:38:42 AM »
borg1
Go to my post and click on the  "WWW" That is the URL go to 24 for page two and you will find it. Sorry I did not spell it out. Thought everybody knew it. Fred M.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline jeff223

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2004, 12:05:16 PM »
you lost me somewhere Fred.i would like to read your post but cant fugure out what you are talking about.the WWW thing??

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2004, 12:18:49 PM »
It's down with the PM, Profile, Friend and Ignore buttons at the bottom of each post. Fred is special, he's got a WWW button, too! :grin:

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Flingarrows

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2004, 12:25:47 PM »
good info, i especially like the manual extractor groove!

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2004, 03:30:37 PM »
Jeff 223.
Did you find the button WWW on each of my posts,it's down with the PM, Profile, Friend, Ignore buttons. and WWW at the bottom of each my posts.

WWW means world wide web indicating a web page and it only shows up on your post if you declared your web site at registration.

Since my web space is free I have to put up with all those adds. I get nothing from these adds. But I am creating my own web page which I get from my e-mail provider. It is more difficult to set up but I am working on it when ever I have some spare time, away from hand loading, gun tinkering benchrest shooting, fishing. teaching sailing, hunting and reading. Life is hard when you are retired.

On the other hand my web site is so well known and liked  I hate to change it over and quit Angelfire. The exchange of knowledge from friends all over the world is also very nice. Many youth groups and reloading classes have used my material to learn from.  Fred M.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline Longcruise

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.mikeswillowlake.com
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2004, 04:33:03 PM »
Fred, nice site and lotsa good stuff.

I host my personal site at directnic for free and don't have to put up with those dang pop-ups.  You can pay $15 bucks per year for bannerless hosting too and the ads are 100% gone.

So, I pay 15 bucks per year for my site url from directnic and ge free hosting.  www.directnic.com and no, I'm not a stock holder :)

Offline jeff223

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2004, 06:12:19 AM »
i found it and you have some good info there.thanks Fred

what kind of groups are you getting out of your rifle?

Offline Deadeye47

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2004, 07:15:02 AM »
WoW! I like your site Fred!  :shock: Good reading..... I liked your comments on accurizing 98 mausers and bedding....I just bought a J C Higgins Model 50  30-06 with a FN Mauser action I'm anxious to tinker with it.......I'm envious of where you live also.....just disgusting! :)
" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2004, 02:02:21 PM »
Fred
I didn't go over your site completely, but do you sell anything on it?  If so did you have to pay Graybeards?  If not I assume it is a free service he offers, correct?  He had mentioned to me we can post web links in our signature.  Guess I need to clarify that one with him.

Longcruise,
Thanks for the link.  I went to directnic and set up a bannerless site too.  Hope to get it up and running in a few days.  This will be a good way for us to post info that is large in nature and not have to clog up graybeards site over and over with the same old stuff.

Plus we can post pics of our Handirifle adventures! :grin:

My www button will be there when I get mine up and running.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2004, 07:55:40 PM »
handirifle.
No,I do not sell anything, nor do I charge anything for my advise. Since my advise is free I am not liable for any misuse of my information.

Since I have received so much enjoyment from Hunting, guns and reloading I feel compelled to share some of my knowledge about the subject in return.

During all those years I have come across so many people involved in firearms that had very little "know how" about guns and their use. So I tried to help and educate as much as I could on subjects of firearms and related subjects.

My web site came about when my friend Jeff in ND advised  that we need to wring out the 243AI and attract as many 243AI shooters as we can. Jeff started the 243AI site and I worked on handloading, reamer design,case forming, accuracy details and a few related other wild cats, like the 243FM. So the two sites are on a complimentry basis.

The 243AI page is perhape the most comprehansive wild cat page on the 243AI cartridge. It has hundreds of loads including my own.

Not to long ago the Swiss came out with a 6x47SM match design and thought they had reinvented the wheel. My design is almost identical and used long before the Swiss came up with their so called revolutionary target round.

It takes a lot of time to anser all the thousand of e-mail I get. So when an intereststing subject comes up mostly because of questions, I wtrite about it and put it on my web site. I like writing.

If Graybeard refuses to have my website posted here, it would not bother me very much, there be no loss on my part. I had seriously considered not to publisize my website here, because I thought it did not fit the "Handi" environment. Fred M.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline Longcruise

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.mikeswillowlake.com
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2004, 04:54:03 AM »
Handi, glad you got yourself a site! :grin:

Directnic is very usefull for guys like us that just want to put a few ideas and experiences up on the web.  My site is not nearly as comprehensive or as informative as Fred's, but OTOH i don't have the expertise to offer either.

The only things I sell on my site are my own personal items.  I build some laminated bows and occasionaly have more on hand than the budget allows and they go up on the for sale page.  On the Predatormaster's forum I was told that my web address had been removed from my signature because I had things for sale on it.  I never thought of myself as much of a threat to the paying advertisors over there :grin:  but it's their site and their rules and I'm happy to do things their way.

I publish my business site at another site that has more features than directnic but that costs me about $10 bucks a month.  that's a lot of dough for a cheapskate like me :-D

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2004, 10:13:11 AM »
fred, Thanks.  Yours is a nice site.  I don't think Graybeard would have a problem with any of us sharing info.  They do want their cut if we're advertising.  I guess since they pay for their site it's only fair.

longcruise,
Thanks.  Yea, I've been down that road before including dealing with major credit card companies, the whole works.  A real pain in the butt.

If I sell anything it'll be through PayPal or similar, just because it's a lot easier for me.

I used to make bows too, just sold all the goodies on ebay about 6mo back.  Too much time involved and it never seemd anywhere near as easy as the video made it look.  (Does it ever)

I'll build bows again someday, but they'll be all wood then.  I like those a lot better.  More fun to make and shoot.

I do plan on selling a few items, on occasion, but mostly it'll be to pay for the site.  Not trying to make money.  Most of my site will be dedicated to stories about hunting and guns from people like you, me Fred and any others on this site I feel have some good advice or experiences to share.

Or maybe just good stories.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!