Author Topic: Have you used the NRA 50/50 in revolvers?  (Read 508 times)

Offline flintman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Have you used the NRA 50/50 in revolvers?
« on: August 13, 2004, 03:57:23 AM »
Has it worked okay for you?Thanks,Jeff. :grin:
John 3:16

Offline FAsmus

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Have you used the NRA 50/50 in revolvers?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004, 04:56:43 AM »
Jeff,

J: Has it (50/50 bullet lube) worked okay for you?

F: Yes, for thousands and thousands of rounds.

All calibers from mid-range 38 special to top velocity loads in 44 magnum and 45 LC.

I happen to think that a fellow could use bacon grease for most revolver loads except for the mess. The wheel guns are really easy to feed once a man understands the way they work. Most any lube will work fine and 50/50 is easily used, cheaper than most anything else and readily available.

I'm not going to get into that deeply since it has been talked to death far too many times already. Just keep in mind that revolvers require relatively soft bullets sized slightly larger than the biggest cylinder in your gun.

Good morning,
Forrest

Offline Leftoverdj

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2004, 11:46:04 AM »
What Forrest said except for the "cheap" part. It's still a neglible part of the costs of reloading, but the going rate $3-$4 a stick outrages me
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline sgtt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2004, 07:14:43 PM »
Better give GAR a call.  I think I paid $1.25 last winter.
"Freedom, for some, is problematic.  It does not grant emancipation from responsibility."

Offline Leftoverdj

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2004, 07:51:48 PM »
Did better than that, Sgtt. Made my own at a cost of under 50 cents a stick and have a supply that will do me for years.

Offline sgtt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2004, 06:08:25 PM »
Good to go leftoverdj....what recipe are you using?  I have been using the "Darr" lube with great success on my "match" bullets.  The Felix lube sounds like dandy stuff but a pain in the butt to make.  I do like the 50/50 in rifles.  (It smells so good) I mentioned GAR because they are decent folks who sell ALL their products at excellent costs.
"Freedom, for some, is problematic.  It does not grant emancipation from responsibility."

Offline Doctor Sam

• Avid Poster
NRA 50/50 LUBE
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2004, 03:58:40 PM »
When the testing appeared in the American Rifleman years ago, a friend and I split a gallon of Alox 2138F.  I had a source for beeswax and we stunk up the apartment for an evening melting and mixing this stuff.  This was back in the late 60s.  I have not exhausted my supply and probably never will even though we were shooting 2700 pistol matches then.  I have never used anything else for rifle and pistol loads of all kinds.  It works very well and I see no reason to change.  And besides that, I'm cheap.  Compared to today's prices it is nothing.  Melt some down and pour it into the sizer.  Wait a short while and go again.
The liquid Alox sold by Lee Precision is a formula dating back to WWII.  It was used for long term storage by the Navy.  It is a soap so all that was required was washing to remove it.
Doctor Sam
Dr. Sam

Offline Leftoverdj

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2004, 06:05:48 PM »
Sgtt, I made up a batch of Felix using two pounds of beeswax and everything else scaled up. I also made up a batch of one pound beeswax, one pound lithium based water pump grease, and a quarter pound of paraffin. The Felix takes just under an hour to make up and the other can be made in 15 minutes or so.

The easy recipe works just fine in pistols and pistol caliber carbines. Never tried it in hot rifle loads. I've been shooting the Felix up past 2300 fps with great results.