Author Topic: the new 28 gauge & dog training  (Read 562 times)

Offline ScatterGunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
the new 28 gauge & dog training
« on: August 13, 2004, 01:35:07 PM »
i spent most of today helping to train a bunch of short hairs at my friends farm/sporting clay place.

he had 4 dogs to work and we used a bunch of egg eaters and fighters in traps for training. the best part of the whole day is that i get to keep all the birds for all my "Hard Work" :-D , although i do have my friend over for a pheasant dinner as a thank you. a nice pheasant that hangs for a few days is a-ok on the dinner plate.

i started out with the 28 gauge SB-1, the gun patterns well and i was using 3/4oz of #8 shot. the first 2 birds had a lot of damage, so it was head shots only. the 28 is a bit much close in, two times with 2 different dogs, they retrieved heads which they must have encountered first.

after 2 dogs i grabbed the .410 using 1/2 oz of #8 loads. much better on the birds than the 28, very little damage but it still folded them up everytime.

i have 8 nice fat birds in the freezer and 4 hanging outside ! chow time !!!!

i guess the 28 will be good out in the woods with the wild birds, it may give me that extra yard or fraction of second to get on them with that extra 1/4 oz of lead.

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2004, 12:55:51 PM »
Sure wish I had a friend that needed that kind of help. Why do you hang them up. We don't have a huntable pheasant population here so I have little experience with them.  I've only shot penned pheasants at close range with a .22 pistol after trying unsuccessfully to catch one by hand. They tasted just fine after an hour in the oven with corn bread stuffing.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2004, 03:08:54 PM »
i learned this from an elderly friend of mine from england who has been an avid bird hunter since about 54BC. on our first pheasant hunt he took the birds and hung them outside on his barn for about a week. no refridgeration, no ice, just dead and hanging. i was a guest so i kept my mouth shut and went with the flow.

after a week, you dress them as you would and cook them. we may have beaten them in a war but they know how to prepare pheasant !

from what i understand, the time they hang allows provides for some chemistry changes and decomposition not unlike a meat tenderizer. he said he was taught this way of preparing birds because, as a kid during WWII, they had no refridgeration due to power outages brought on by war activities. as a side note, he also said that during the war, the english "invented" steak sauce, like Lea & Perrins, to mask the odor of less than fresh meats and poultry !

i have served birds this way and never had a complaint of bad taste nor lost a guest to food poisoning !

sg

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2004, 04:00:41 PM »
:D Hi scattergunner, was the the .410 barrel from the "group purchase" that you used on those pheasants? I thought it was reserved for partridge?....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 01:26:52 AM »
howdy msp -

your 410 barrel was used !, what a barrel, what a deal !

sg

p.a. - any contact from vc yet ?

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004, 02:37:14 AM »
SC, nothing yet, several more e-mails and a PM from me to him but no reply. There are couple more here inquiring about his health and well being also. I am half planning a trip up to my camp this week and hope to stop by his address to check on him. I'll let you know. As far as the barrel I am happy it worked out well for you. It looks as if you may be the first to use one of the "group purchase" on real game, congratulations!!! ....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley