Author Topic: casting bullets again  (Read 405 times)

Offline dogdoc1

• Trade Count: (0)
casting bullets again
« on: August 14, 2004, 04:51:05 PM »
After 15 years I have dug up all my old casting stuff and started casting again. I am fed up with the commercial BEVEL base 44 cal bullets. I have tried many loads off a ransom rest in my 44s and just cannot do much better than 2.5 inches at 25 yards with 6 rounds with those bullets. Many are much worse. They are cast way to hard(no bullet base upset) and have the bevel, both of which cause leading. As old Elmer said the base is the steering end of the bullet. They try to convince us bevel bases are better because they cast easier(drop from molds) and load a little easier(do not need as much flair). I am out of practice and was having a hard time getting my plain base swc mold to fill out with wheelweights(god knows what). Any suggestions??

Offline jbtazgrabber

• Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
casting bullets again
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2004, 05:34:24 PM »
clean the mold real real good try heating the mold real hot for the first 10 or 20 then  back off the heat   dropping out of mold into water will make a harder bullet

Offline LAH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
casting bullets again
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004, 02:34:49 PM »
Be sure the mould vent lines are clean. Be sure you are hot enough. Be sure of your pour rate.
Joshua 1:9

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
casting bullets again
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2004, 04:16:01 PM »
Add about 2% tin to the mix also. That helps it fill out the molds better.

BTW are you the same dogdoc from Alabama Deer.com? Welcome over. I seldom find time to visit other sites as I used to so haven't posted over there in quite awhile now. Still drop by to visit from time to time.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!