Author Topic: where to drop bullets?, first timmer question  (Read 622 times)

Offline Will52100

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
where to drop bullets?, first timmer question
« on: August 15, 2004, 09:02:59 AM »
I'm slowly collecting everything to cast with, and will soon be casting  bullets.  My question is after you fill the mold and let it solidify and cut the sprues, where do you drop the bullets out?  There still gonna be hot, so?  I asume you want something soft so as not to deform them, but I don't want to dump into water as I've heard that hardens bullets and 99%of my shooting and re-loading is black powder.

thanks,

Will
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
where to drop bullets?, first timmer questi
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2004, 10:10:03 AM »
Will52100,
I take a regular bath towel and fold it several times.  As I drop the bullets on it, I can lift the end closest to me and roll the bullets away from where I am dropping them.  The towel does have a few singe marks on it, but it has never caught on fire!  It helps cushion the fresh, and a bit soft, bullets from dents if they were to hit a hard surface.  Good-luck…BCB

Offline GBO MGMT

• Administrator
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2004, 11:54:53 AM »
I have a cardboard box I use. It is mabye 8" wide and a bit over a foot long. I turn it up so the top of the long end is a bit higher than the end toward me. I drop the bullets from the middle half up and let them slowly roll down toward the bottom. I've seen no damage from this method and have been using this same box for years.

Offline JBMauser

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2004, 12:50:53 PM »
I use the same towel method described above except I pour a glass of water over the towel to dampen it.  Works fine and I don't think the bullets get deformed.  JB

Offline JBMauser

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2004, 12:55:06 PM »
I use the same towel method described above except I pour a glass of water over the towel to dampen it.  Works fine and I don't think the bullets get deformed.  JB

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004, 07:44:25 AM »
Thanks guys, I figured something like that, but wanted to be sure it realy was that simple as I'm a complete novice :)

Thanks,

Will
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline LAH

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2004, 12:08:26 AM »
If you could watch bullets fall from casting machines you would wonder why all aren't deformed.

By far the cardboard box mentioned by GRAYBREARD works best for us. We drop thousands of bullets this way. I use a board under the box to stiffen things a bit. The box can be something simple like a shoe box lid. The bullets fall only a few inches onto the soft cardboard and roll out of the way. I keep another box handy in which to dump the shallow box when more room is needed.

Water quenching is completely safe. Lead going into water is fine. It's the other way around that causes trouble.
Joshua 1:9

Offline Cactus Cris

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2004, 11:10:09 AM »
I made a tray from plexaglass and put 1/4" cork in the bottom.  It cushions the fall and  the sides keep them from rolling off on the floor.  It is about 16" sq. with 3" sides.  Bottom was made fron 1/2" plex.
Cactus Cris  SASS 2790  Darkside Posse, Cart maker, Corral Keeper, Gpa of 6

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2004, 08:39:09 PM »
Thanks guys, almost got everything together to start casting, maybe have everything set up for this winter, got to cool down first. Heck I ain't even fired the forge up latly!
www.courtneyknives.com