Author Topic: Lemat Cartridges  (Read 421 times)

Offline tort211

• Trade Count: (0)
Lemat Cartridges
« on: August 15, 2004, 01:29:34 PM »
I recently purchased a Lemat Revolver (from Dixie Gunworks) and have been trying to find out where I might be able to buy ammunition.  I am primarily interested in blank cartridges (for Civil War reenactments), but after reading many reviews about this firearm, I am also interested in testing it's accuracy.  Any ideas of where I can get .44 cal cartridges?  Thanks.

Offline mec

• Avid Poster
Lemat Cartridges
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 01:49:35 AM »
as for cartridges, you have to make your own out of cigarette paper or paper that's been nitrated.  My Lemat Has .447 chamber mouths and it is tedious in the extreme(next to impossible) to get the bullets from a Lemat Mould into the chambers-not enough room under the ram until you have forced them part way in.     Mine shoots very well with loose powder and .451 balls.
Guns are like the vote. They work best when everybody has one
Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline The Shrink

• A Real Regular
Lemat Cartridges
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 03:27:29 AM »
To make blanks all you need is some combustable wadding (cigarette paper), FFFG powder, and caps.  Put some powder in the cylinder and one or two lwyers of paper for a wad to hold the powder in, cap and fire.  You should get some but minimal discharge from the muzzle.  You will get some discharge just from the powder, so be very careful with these blanks.  The discharge will be adequate, at close range, to shread or blast a hole in a legal pad.  They should never be shot at anyone for any reason.  

Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!
Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!