Author Topic: WOW - what a LONG throat!  (Read 1217 times)

Offline MtJerry

• Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
WOW - what a LONG throat!
« on: August 17, 2004, 05:19:01 AM »
I loaded up some 63gr rounds for my NEF .223 based on a load from a friend on another site.

This is the FIRST bullet I have been able to seat in the case and get it close to the lands of of the rifling.

Get this - C.O.L was 2.660!  

I have about 3/16 of the bullet in the case. I am just amazed at how deep NEF cuts the throats on these rifles.

As you already know NEF's are a 1-12 twist and that means .224 bullets over 55gr's are typically hard to stabilize. However, Sierra states in their latest reloading manual that they have developed this bullet to be used in the 1-12 twist guns.

I'll let ya know how it works out.

Jerry
:D

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 06:25:43 AM »
Please let us know how this bullet works out.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline MtJerry

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 09:16:36 AM »
Jerry's doin' a HAPPY DANCE!!!!!!

Took the Handi Rifle to the local range at lunchtime.

Got a sub-inch 5-round group at 100 yards !!!   :grin:  :grin:

Load was:
Sierra 63gr SP
CCI 200
25gr H335
Winchester brass
COL - 2.660

I may play with the COL a bit and see if I can improve that a bit.  If not, that's ok too  8)

I think I finally found a load for whitetail, AND for varmints! (no flames please - I know my limits)

Jerry

Offline Wlscott

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 10:11:02 AM »
No flames here.  I need to order some of those.  I have been wanting to load some heavier bullets for deer for my daughters first deer hunt this year.

How heavy is the jacket on those bullets?  Will they come apart on a deer sized animal?
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline MtJerry

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2004, 10:29:32 AM »
I don't know about the specific jacket thickness.  They are a standard spitzer-soft -point-type bullet.

I have used these bullets in my .270 for Elk and Deer (.270 caliber bullet of course  :P )  They expand well when driven at accepted velocities.

I got mine last night at a local gun shop - on sale for $8.95 per 100  :grin:

Jerry

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2004, 01:29:03 PM »
I was going to order some 60 grain Nosler Partitions for deer duty.  I was kind of afraid of how they would shoot though.  I might have to order some of the Sierra 63 grainers if they shot that good in your gun though.
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline Mitch in MI

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2004, 02:41:59 PM »
All right, I'm confused now. MidwayUSA only lists one 63gr:
http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/609136

The description of the bullet follows:
"Sierra Varminter Bullets 22 Caliber (224 Diameter) 63 Grain Semi-Pointed Box of 100
The Semi-Point design allows for a sizable portion of the lead nose to be exposed which causes the thin case to fragment dramatically on impact. The Sierra Semi-Pointed Bullets are also shorter than other comparable weight bullets, which allow them to stabilize in slower twist rate barrels."

There are three product reviews posted by customers, and all three claim to be using the bullet sucessfully on deer.

Were yours labeled "Varminter"? Looks like your local dealer sells them for slightly less than Midway.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2004, 02:47:55 PM »
Rating:
Date Posted: 3/16/2004

Review:
Excellent accuracy. Great Muledeer load in .223 Rem. have taken many, some at long range out to 800 yds. With Mini 14, AR15-A3 shorty & Winchester Featherweight. This is the most accurate & deadly bullet I use in my .223's. I have never had a deer or coyote get away.

Can anyone tell me how much energy the 63gr bullet could have at 800yds.? Just curious.  thanks
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2004, 03:03:28 PM »
The description of the varminter bullet from Sierra certainly doesn't sound like a good deer bullet, especially in a marginal caliber such as the .223 rem.

Varmint hunting places extreme demands on bullet performance. Such bullets must be exceptionally accurate to hit small targets, lightly constructed to provide explosive expansion while minimizing ricochets, and lightweight to obtain    
  high velocities with flat trajectories. Sierra BlitzKing® and Varminter® bullets are the standard against which other brands are measured.

http://www.sierrabullets.com/bullets/varminter2.html

Offline Mitch in MI

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2004, 04:12:22 PM »
Quote from: quickdtoo

Can anyone tell me how much energy the 63gr bullet could have at 800yds.? Just curious.  thanks

According to PC Ballistics, using the .235 BC that Sierra gives for this bullet between 2000 and 2800fps, with a 3200fps muzzle velocity, I get 145ft-lb at 800 yards, at a sub-sonic 1019fps. That's 22LR energy. With a 250yd zero, you'd only have to hold over 20 feet, and a 15mph crosswind would drift it 15 feet. Besides all that, you have the problem of crossing the sound barrier en route.

PCB v1.8 available here as freeware for all DOS compatible PCs:
http://www.airguns.net/pcb_download.html

I guess it's time for me to upgrade, I've been using v1.6 for about 7 years now. I bet the bullet database has grown since then.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2004, 04:25:49 PM »
Thanks Mitch!  :D Kinda what I expected.

Tim

Offline MtJerry

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2004, 05:23:11 PM »
It's the same one in the Midway link

Sierra 63gr. semi-point  Does NOT say varminter on it anywhere.

I have a LOT of doubts about the 800yrd testimonial in the link.  Most likely B.S.

Well, deer seaon starts October 24th here on Montana.  I'll post any results

Jerry

Offline MtJerry

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2004, 07:10:48 AM »
Saw this link over at Perfect Union - It was some penetration and performance testing of some .223 bullets.  Not scientific mind you but he did have the 63gr. Sierra's in his picture.  Worth a look.  From the picture (not great mind you) it appears that this bullet perfomrs well, expands, and more importantly, stays together.

Jerry

Offline MtJerry

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2004, 07:13:02 AM »
Saw this link over at Perfect Union - It was some penetration and performance testing of some .223 bullets.  Not scientific mind you but he did have the 63gr. Sierra's in his picture.  Worth a look.  From the picture (not great mind you) it appears that this bullet perfomrs well, expands, and more importantly, stays together.

http://www.perfectunion.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11200&hl=

Jerry

Offline Donaldo

• A Real Regular
Bullet stability
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2004, 08:34:37 AM »
As to the questions about what bullet will stabilize with what twist, go to the Berger Bullet site.  For every bullet they make, and thats a lot, they have a recommended twist rate.  From their reputation I would take what they say over almost any others.  Sierra has a 224 bullet made especially for deer, made to expand properly even in the 223.  Take a look, I don't have the links but if you don't already know them do a search.  Sierra bullets is listed as Sierra-bullets.com.  800 yards with a 223 on deer, well maybe on a very, very lucky day, but probably BS.
Luke 11:21

Offline Donaldo

• A Real Regular
Bullet stability above post
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2004, 08:57:23 AM »
Sorry, was trusting my memory, bad thing to do these days.  The Sierra site and bullet info is wrong.  It is Speer-bullets.com. and their 224 "big game" bullet is the 55 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw.  Due to the strong construction of the bullet it is longer than the average 55 gr. and cannot be loaded as hot.  Their site has loading data for this bullet.
Luke 11:21

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2004, 03:14:18 PM »
The man didn't say he was deer hunting at 800 yds.    Not trying to defend him, just don't understand the put down!

The 800 yd' energy sounds plausible from a heavily-charged cartridge with a good 63 gr' bullet......and my Lee Shooter program gives that bullet an 800 yd' energy of 123 ft/lbs with just a 2900 fps muzzle velocity.

For a good, properly stable, .224 diameter bullet I'd go with Hornady's 60 gr' spire point....which they load in their deer-capable .22-250 loads under their 'Custom" line of ammo.     I've seen the 60 gr' do great work out of a .223 rifle....on some rather large whitetails!
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline Mitch in MI

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2004, 04:59:18 PM »
Quote from: safetysheriff
The man didn't say he was deer hunting at 800 yds.    Not trying to defend him, just don't understand the put down!

Well, the punctuation made it a bit hard to follow, but I translated it like this:
Great Mule deer bullet in my .223s. I've shot many of them with it, as far away as 800 yards. Never lost a mulie or coyote with this bullet.

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2004, 12:21:55 PM »
Mitch,

His 'quote' had come from another posting from March of this year.   It was not his own idea.    I think he's expecting the energy at 800 yds' to be insufficient himself.    That's why the remark about the .223 just below.

Take care,  

SS'
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline Mitch in MI

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2004, 03:27:36 PM »
I think I get it now. Do you think we were accusing quickdtoo of BS?

I thought everybody (including quickdtoo) was disputing the Midway review that quickdtoo quoted. I know I was.

I like the score the other Midway customers gave the review:
Was this review helpful? Yes | No
  1 found it helpful | 6 did not

(I just made it 7)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2004, 04:05:34 PM »
Mitch, you would be correct, that claim of an 800yd kill was the questionable review at Midway for the sierra 63gr bullet.