Author Topic: Makarov 9x18's  (Read 1190 times)

Offline Buster

• Trade Count: (0)
Makarov 9x18's
« on: August 18, 2004, 04:08:16 AM »
Have you folks checked out one of these?  For the price they seem hard to beat.  The Bulgarian versions that are common now seem to be very good quality.  I like the "PW Redmond Wash." imported ones as the importer stamp is in the right place (small and on the frame) as opposed to the huge Century stamping on the right hand side of the slide.

Offline Savorino

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
Mak
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 10:46:16 PM »
I have an East German one that says Ernst Thayer on it that I like, I bought it for my wife as a nightstand gun but may use it as my carry gun.
Sav
"and remember, always keep your stick on the ice".

Offline Borealis Bob

Makarov 9x18's
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004, 03:05:43 PM »
I've had an E. German Makarov for about five years now and have been very, very pleased with it. The Bulgarians ( and others ) are not quite as nicely finished, but should be just as reliable.

I have shot several thousand rounds of various types of ammo ( FMJ, hollow-point ) through it without a hiccup. They will feed anything you run through them as long as you use the issue magazine; the aftermarket ten round mags have been known to cause a problem.

I have found that these shoot the original 95gr. bullet the best; some of the newer commercial loads offer 109 gr bullets, which are so-so accuracy-wise. These are likely the bests value in pistols around.

Offline S.S.

Makarov 9x18's
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 02:55:58 AM »
I really like the 9x18 Mak. cartridge, but the Makarov
pistols are quite heavy for their size. Therefore
I opted for the PA-63 Walther PP clone. This is a very light pistol
and carries well.
I believe some of the Russian ammo.
is loaded pretty hot and is a bit much for the PA-63 though .
The recoil is substantially different between the Barnaul
ammo and the Sellier & Bellot I normally shoot.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline Buster

Makarov 9x18's
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2004, 02:58:02 PM »
I am still looking for the right Mak.  Can't wait to find a good one at a good price.  The one's at the shop (Century) fit my hand really well.  It seems like a great pistol for me.  I like the weight of it.

Offline Old Griz

Makarov 9x18's
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2004, 08:41:02 AM »
:cb2: The Makarov is a very under-appreciated pistol. The Strausberg Tests showed the .380 fired from a Sig was as effective as a .38+P with a 4" barrel, and the 9x18 is more powerful than the .380. The 3" chrome lined fixed barrel on the Mak is very accurate. I have an E. German Mak, and since they were designed for military FMJ ammo, I had to polish the ramp in order for it to feed hollow points reliably. Cor-Bon 9x18s tended to snag going into the chamber, but a little smoothing cleared that up nicely. I use the Hornady JHP for carry and the cheap Russian stuff for practice. It does have a noticeable muzzle flip that some people don't like, but I guess I've just gotten used to it. But since I'm built like a Greek god I naturally don't notice things like that.

(Did I say "Greek" god? Gosh that was over 30 years ago. Now it's more like Buddha!)  :)
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Wrong Way

Makarov 9x18's
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2004, 05:55:45 AM »
I bought one a couple of years ago. No matter what brand of ammo I used or how well I cleaned it I always had problems with jams. I have a friend in Arizona who has one. Same problem. I can't get a full clip to feed thru the thing. Neither can my friend. Save your money and buy a revolver........ :)

Offline DPRinks

• Avid Poster
Makarov
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2004, 03:21:18 PM »
Gun Tests magazine advised to buy a nice rock, as the Makarov
was clumsy to throw.
Don 8)
D. Rinks

Offline Prisoner's Anvil

Re: Makarov
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2004, 06:14:31 PM »
Quote from: DPRinks
Gun Tests magazine advised to buy a nice rock, as the Makarov was clumsy to throw.
Don 8)

Thanks. Now I know never to buy Gun Tests magazine. Anyone who can screw up an analysis that badly won't get my money.

Purchased a 9x18 Bulgarian a year ago. Finest pistol I've ever owned. No jams ever. Accurate beyond belief.  Nice carry gun.  Power isn't at the same level as a 9mm Lugar but it's better than a .380ACP. Ammo for it is not costly.

Excellent buy.

Offline Old Griz

Makarov 9x18's
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2004, 11:56:02 AM »
:cb2: A few years ago Gun Tests did a comparison of three Makarovs: Russian, German and Chinese. This was before the Bulgarians and others hit the market. The East Germans Maks received fine ratings from them. The Russian model was a close second, and the Chinese were crap. After reading this I bought the next German Mak I saw, and I've never regretted it. For the money (just under $200) it was a terrific buy. So at one point in time Gun Tests liked them. However, I think the Gun Tests guys have (in the last few years) have contracted the fatal disease of narcissism.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline rockbilly

Makarov 9x18's
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2004, 04:34:18 PM »
Dang Griz, I thought I payed too much for mine when I bought it for $65. back about 6-8 years ago.  I got the E. German model, the finish is very good, fits well and fires great.  Mine has the circle with the triangle stamped on the frame slide and barrel.  I"ve only fires milsup ammo, but after reading some of the above "letters of approval", I may have to get her out of the safe and try some of the new commerical ammo.

I was lucky getting it for the price I did, but I had a very good source for a while.  A young man who worked for me father was a wholesale dealer,  he sold me several guns at really great prices.  The young man moved on  to a better job, and his father passed away, so I'm back to paying the fiddler if I want to dance.