Author Topic: tight fit  (Read 591 times)

Offline Flingarrows

• Trade Count: (1)
tight fit
« on: August 19, 2004, 05:09:03 PM »
i bought my son the .28 youth for his birthday, which is sunday. his gun is kinda tight to open. it is smooth, but has a more resistance to open compared to my ultra slug and .270  anyone else have this? what did you do? other than jotting down the serial number for the warranty card, i really havent looked at it

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
tight fit
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 05:23:18 PM »
Give it a good cleaning and lube lightly around the hinge pin. That was all it took with the last one I got new. They seem to come from the factory very dirty. This seems to be the cause of a lot of the initial problems people face with these guns
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline iwoodbutcher

• Trade Count: (0)
tight fit
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004, 05:57:54 PM »
I have been considering getting one for my son as I already reload 28 ga.. Let us know how he like it. It should do a lot better than the .410.

Offline Flingarrows

tight fit
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2004, 01:43:46 PM »
thanks for the markus. butcher, ill let you know how he likes it

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
tight fit
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 08:16:53 AM »
The gun will also loosen up a little over time...Do the cleaning as suggested and then enjoy the gun.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline scruffy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
tight fit
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2004, 10:05:54 AM »
My 12 gauge pardner was really tight when I got it.  Opening and closing the action over time broke it in.

There is one thing you might want to check, make sure the "spacer" between the wood forearm and the receiver is installed correctly.  If it was installed a bit crooked it might be binding.  If you loosen the two small phillips screws a half turn or so and reinstall the forend the spacer can slip to the position it should be in and not bind.  Once the spacer has found it's "home" make a mental note of where the spacer sits against the wood forend, does the top of the forend line up with the top of the spacer, or is the spacer a bit lower/higher.  Make a mental note of it.  Now take off the forend and position the spacer where it was when the forearm was on the rifle and retighten the two small screws.

On my ultra slug 20 the spacer is a 1/8" up on one side and flush on the other.  Making it flush on both sides causes it to bind and be really stiff.  With the spacer tightened down where it likes to be the action is almost loose, not binding.  My pardner 12 is flush on both sides and it's just tight, nothing can be done about it, unless I take the plastic spacer off and take some sand paper and sand a 1/32 or less wood off the back of the wood forend and then replace the spacer.  You could do this, but unless it's really bad and doesn't get better withen a few dozen or few hundred opens and closing I wouldn't sand the wood.  And if you do, like everyone says, go slow, measure often.

Oh, if you want the spacer to wear in quicker don't oil it, oil will delay or slow the wear in process because it's a lubercant.  After it's worn in as far as you want then you can put a few drops of oil on it, but it's not required.  After it's worn in they usually don't wear that much.

Later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline Flingarrows

tight fit
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2004, 12:32:00 PM »
thanks for the replys. i checked the spacer, it on straight. i put a little bore paste on it, worked it a bit and cleaned it off. it is a bit better. im sure use will help

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
tight fit
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2004, 04:36:42 AM »
I prefer the action a little tight on my shotguns...If it is too loosey goosey then I don't like it.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
tight fit
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 10:07:53 AM »
It could be tighter because both the ultra and the 270 have heavier barrels than the 28 ga., and if you rely on the weight of the barrel itself to do most of the leverage work, well there you go.