Author Topic: Lucky Kid!  (Read 454 times)

Offline Boge

• Trade Count: (0)
Lucky Kid!
« on: August 20, 2004, 06:10:07 PM »
A good buddy who runs the local public range asked me to help out a 14 yr. old kid whose grandpa bought him a new cap 'n ball as I have shot cap 'n ball for years. Well, the gun was a brand spanking new EMF Hartford '51 Navy in the nonauthentic .44 cal. Being a traditionalist I winced at this. First surprise: quality was excellent! Timing dead nuts on and locked up like a Mercedes door! Wedge was fit superbly and (incredible for a Pietta!) the wedge and barrel removed easily! This was a really well put together cap 'n ball! I showed the kid all the ins & outs of loading, shooting & cleaning. We didn't group the gun as the kid will probably shoot it only once more in his life! He had the attention span of an autistic chimp!  :roll: Also, #10 Remington caps fit like a glove and nary one cap fragmented and jammed the gun! That's almost unheard of on a new revolver with factory nipples! Final note: I've handled 4-5 new Piettas recently, all being '58's, with the exception of this one, and they were all as good as this one! Pietta must have really cleaned up their act! I told the kid he didn't know how lucky he was!  :wink:

Offline Cactus Cris

• Trade Count: (0)
Lucky Kid!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 11:02:16 AM »
I must concur--Pietta has "cleaned up their act".  New units that I have or seen are as good or maybe better than the Uberti units.  At least the nipps are good enough to use right out of the box.  Can't say that for Uberti nipps.  You get six different sizes (height & dia.) with the Uberti toys.  I like my 61's.  My 60's are Uberti but I had to fiddle with them a lot to make them work every time.
Cactus Cris  SASS 2790  Darkside Posse, Cart maker, Corral Keeper, Gpa of 6