Author Topic: New to hunting and Handi's, questions  (Read 1230 times)

Offline Pass the mustard

• Trade Count: (0)
New to hunting and Handi's, questions
« on: August 21, 2004, 12:26:23 PM »
Hi,
I've been looking around at the old threads for a while, lots of good stuff.  I'm moving to northern Washington soon and I'd like to set up a new deer rifle for mule deer and maybe blacktail.  I'm thinking about getting a stainless Handi in .270 and putting an Elite 4200 2.5-10x40 on it.  Does that sound like a good set up for the wet country?   I've been shooting for a couple of years, but I've never hunted.  I thought a .270 would be a good compromise between accuracy, power, and not too much recoil for a new hunter, and there seems to be a lot more factory loads available for it than the smaller calibers (I'm not a handloader).  It would only be for deer, nothing bigger.  I've been reading all the books and magazines I can get my hands on, taken the hunter safety course, but I don't have any friends that are into guns or hunting.  And I can't afford guided hunts, so I'll have to hunt solo and learn on my own.  That's why I'm doing so much reading.  I have a fair idea of the basics, but no real experience.  I won't have time to hunt this coming season with moving and finding a new job, so I'll have plenty of time to get familiar with the rifle for next year.

I know I'll have to do some tweaking to improve it a bit, but what kind of out-of-the-box accuracy can I expect from a .270 Handi?  Does it have the correct twist to stabilize heavier bullets, like 150 grains?  Also, I heard about a factory trigger job, but there's no mention of that in the current catalog.  What are the details about this?  Thanks.

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 01:25:14 PM »
I don't think you will go wrong with the 270 handi. It is more than enough gun and caliber for your needs. I wouldn't bother trying to go to heavier bullets. the bullets that are loaded in "store-bought" ammo will be just fine. While it is possible to tweak the gun for a little better performance, if you want it for simply hunting deer and maybe elk all you need to do is pop a good scope on the gun, sight it in and go hunting. Spend your learning time studying the habits of your quarry, learning to shoot reasonably well, and the gun will do the rest.

Offline like2shoot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 02:30:46 PM »
:D  If you send the receiver back to the factory they will adjust the trigger ( within their specs ) if you request.  Do you have a synthetic stock ? Is the weather wet during hunting season. If not , that would be a good excuse although not necessary. You may want to do a search on this site for accuracy for ideas. Also disassemble the gun into basic parts and use carb cleaner to remove grease and metal chips from all crevices.  Relube the parts that touch and slide . Clean the barrel several times , the factory sometimes uses a strong preservative on the guns. Also check the scope base to make sure all screws are tight and use something ( nail polish, loctite ) to lock them in place.
Shoot straight , shoot often.

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2004, 02:48:52 PM »
I can't see any problems with a .270 stainless single-shot at all.   It would be my favorite deer caliber for long shots....      I would, however, carry a handgun (repeater capability) while out in the woods alone.    

This brings me to a real concern, however, since I do see a problem with hunting alone in a large area where a host of problems could arise!     No, I'm not a scaredy-cat; just believe in excercising reasonable caution.    Too many morons run around in this society right now, and you could meet a few of them while hunting alone!

I strongly suggest you find a companion to make the trip with you into the woods of Northern Washington if you're not hunting on private property.
Of course, you could run into a couple of morons on private property, too; but hopefully the chances are lessened.  

Take care.
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2004, 03:50:52 PM »
Saftysheriff

Too many morons run around in this society right now, and you could meet a few of them while hunting alone!

Is this a real problem? This is the first time I heard of that concern. Are you talking about an armed confrontation. Do you know of any such incidences yourself? I always felt safe in the woods and mountains I often hunted on my own. Not having the strength any more I have to rely on help now.  Fred M
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2004, 03:59:25 PM »
Believe it or not Fred, it is the truth.  Used to be, people carried large bore handguns to protect themselves from large predators in certain areas.  

Now, I find myself carrying my .45ACP when I'm bow hunting because I'm just as likely to stumble across a meth lab in the woods as anything.
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline jbtazgrabber

• Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2004, 04:37:17 PM »
even though im breaking the law of ok. carring a pistol firearm/ while bowhunting, if im alone yes,  i will be carring a handgun.. you asked if there was any proof to if someone ever needed a backup when carring a single shot /yes, me . four road hunters on govt property made me take a hurry up shot at a buck that  just crossed the road  on a trail to my stand 4 shots came in my general direction i went to talk  very loudly to these guys when  it hit me like a ton of rocks on my head four of them one of me and a contender 357 max single shot it was grtting pretty hot when all of a suden my hunting buddy came over the hill with his 06 they didnt like the odds an left . real quick  this time they closed the side door of the van they were driving and drove real fast out of area . yes i carry a second gun when hunting alone   even   OKLA  has dangerous animals there just two legged.   i seldom hunt alone now you know why

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2004, 06:22:28 PM »
Wiscott and jbtazgrabber.
Thanks for the posts. Good lord what are the woods coming too. Our game wardens carrying hand guns now because of poachers. Have not heard of any game wardens being shot at, but they are plenty worried.
I have talked to several, I talk to them whenever I have a chance.

I have questioned the remark because it sounded so unreal and in Canada almost unheard of. It has happpened but it was deliberate homocide under disguise of hunting and made look like an accident.  Fred M.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2004, 06:43:53 PM »
Fred
You must live in a sheltered area. Game wardens here have long carried sidearms and approach you like a cop on a traffic stop.  They don't loosen up for a while, till they get a good handle on who you are.

Even the wardens here ADVISE that you carry during gun season.  We've had several incidents of "hunters" approaching other hunters and after striking a conversation, disarm and rob the real hunter.  Rob him of his weapon too.

I carry a Ruger Stainless Security Six 357 myself.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Joel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2004, 07:46:32 PM »
You didn't mention what ranges you expect to hunt at once you get there.  Washington has some really thick, wet cover from what I hear, and also more open land as you move away from the coast.  270 is fine for long shots, but at short range it will ruin a lot of meat unless you hit the deer just right(lung shot).  I beleive someone loads Nosler Partition in their factory ammo, and that's what I would use in that caliber if I wanted deer to eat.  As far as the discussion here about two legged dangerous game, I've hunted in various eastern states for 45 years and never had one run in with anyone that looked like it might turn into a dangerous situation. I live in the Central PA mountains, right on the edge of a large state game land, and have hunted,hiked and fished that area for 20 years with nary a problem.  Never heard of anyone else having a problem to speak of,either.   Maybe all the weirdo's went west.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2004, 08:03:32 PM »
There are scum bags all over the country...it isn't limited to just 1 or 2 locations....I was once hunting down in Southern Mo...very close to the ARK border on federal land...had several truck loads of road hunters come by the camp and stopped about 50 yards from me...they started taking sound shots thru some very thick undergrowth...and things started to get ugly when I yelled at them...lucky for me a couple of friends arrived at the same time and they left...but after taking a few shots in our direction...very unnerving to say the least...these kinds are are worst enemies...they are what non-hunting folks see and hear about...and we all get lumped in together...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Deadeye47

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2004, 08:44:49 PM »
Having done private security for years I have come to the conclusion that you can't trust anyone. It's sad to be that way but that is the way I have to handle it. I've seen and heard it all and I've been threatened by some really nasty ignorant bottom feeders and as some have told me " you think your a big man carrying a gun and all...well you won't always have a gun on". Well.... I got news for these mental midgets! I am not going to be a victim. You shouldn't be either. Folks you would be very naive to think that the woods are safer than anywhere else anymore. Don't allow youself to become complacent.... :wink:
" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline Pass the mustard

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2004, 11:09:17 PM »
Boy, debates get started rather easily around here, don't they? :mrgreen: I was actually considering carrying, for last-ditch defense against cats.  I have a stainless .357 GP100 with a 6" heavy barrel.  Federal makes a .357 hunting load with a 180 grain hard cast bullet.  I suppose that would also knock other varmints for a loop. :mrgreen:  Maybe a can of bear spray would work on a cat.

Quote from: Joel
You didn't mention what ranges you expect to hunt at once you get there.

It's kind of hard to say, because I've never hunted there.  Or anywhere, for that matter (except for hunting flies around the house with a rubber band when I was a kid).  I was planning to limit my shots to 300 yards, to keep it inside the MPBR.  I thought it would be better to not try anything longer than that until I'm more experienced, so as not to risk a wounded animal getting away.  I've been keeping up on developments in bullet design lately, and I favor either a partition or bonded core bullet for better penetration.   Is a 130 grainer the usual .270 load for deer?  Or is a lighter bullet better for a 300 yard limit?  Just out of curiosity, is the Handi's twist fast enough to stabilize 150 grain bullets?  I ask because I've heard the .223 and .243 Handi's have a slow twist and can only stabilize lightweight bullets.

The stainless model has a synthetic stock.  If the mood strikes me, I thought I might look into putting a laminated Ultra stock on it, just for fun.  But I don't want to weigh it down too much.  Besides, first I have to get the rifle.

What is the weight you can have the trigger set to?  Is there a charge for the trigger job?

Offline Mitch in MI

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2004, 01:18:36 AM »
Quote from: Fred M
Our game wardens carrying hand guns now because of poachers.

In Texas, CO's seem to think they need machine guns, just got themselves some select fire M-16s.
http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/ts_more.php?id=60670_0_10_0_M

Is anybody else bothered by the way we use military forces like they were cops, and are trying to turn cops into an occupation army on our own soil? Another five years and you won't be able to tell the difference between a cop and a soldier, except the soldier can go to jail for violating a foreigner's rights.

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2004, 02:27:58 AM »
I am one of those OKIE REDNECK road hunters!......ya'll better take cover!  :)  :)  :-D Just yankin' your chain, seriously road hunting is illegal in OK and so is carrying a sidearm or any firearm, during archery season. The instances of violent acts taking place in the woods around here have been few if any but I ain't taking no chances. Too many selfish, "I don't care" type people in the world today and they all seem to come out during hunting season and especially rifle season. I personally am more worried about getting jumped by one of the big cats that are present in the woods where I hunt. Have personally seen 5" pad prints and have friends who have witnessed the monster meowers themselves. Maybe a sidearm wouldn't be such a bad idea.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline like2shoot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2004, 03:46:26 AM »
Try searching this site for  NEF customer service and you should find a phone # and or e-mail address. The factory has a minimum weight that they will set the trigger, somewhere around 3-3 1/2 Lbs. When my receiver was in for a barrel recently, I requested a trigger adjustment and it was done for free.  I agree with the recommendation for Nosler Partitions. Check the FAQ for the twist of the rifles.
Shoot straight , shoot often.

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2004, 05:22:31 AM »
PTM, the Nosler Partition will do everything you want it to do, it's my favorite big game bullet.  I am testing the new Hornady Interbond bullet now in a .308 caliber, but I'll probably still be hunting with a Partition.  The 270 Win will also do all you want it to do.  Three hundred yards is a pretty long shot if you don't have a lot of experience/practice.  If you are planning on taking shots at that range, I suggest you settle on a load, and practice with it and the gun you're going to use, from hunting positions (NOT THE BENCH!!!).

For all of you Okies........I carry a defensive pistol during archery season, and it's completely legal.  All you have to do is obtain your Concealed Carry License.  It says in the game regs that you can carry a handgun during archery season under the provisions of the Oklahoma Self Defense Act.  

I'm telling ya, if you live in a rural area where there is agriculture (ANHYDROUS AMMONIA TANKS FOR FERTILIZER), you have meth labs in your hunting areas.  I work for the fire dept and we're constantly having to clean up a "hazardous area" where they busted some guy make methamphetimine out of a camper or a tent.  

Mustard, sorry your post took a turn on a tangent, but I think this is important information :P
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2004, 12:11:02 PM »
I'm looking at this topic with a smile on my face....being surprised at first that anyone would want to hunt public land without a 'repeater'.

If you want to not damage too much meat, try 150 gr' Hornady's out of that .270.....and yes it should easily stabilize them.    The reduced velocity will not stress the bullet or the venison as much and will, therefore, result in less lost meat at closer ranges.

The question about two-legged animals has been well-answered, I believe.    Several years ago (10?) we had a game warden drill a man or two in N.E. Ohio who had started the shooting in his direction.    I can't imagine going out into a National Forest or Park without a repeater.....even if you're going for a ride on a mountain bike.     I doubt, with all the 'liberalism' in Canada, that it's any different up North.

Take care, and pack some 'heat', fellas.

SS'
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline Deadeye47

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2004, 01:00:05 PM »
Quote from: Mitch in MI
Quote from: Fred M
Our game wardens carrying hand guns now because of poachers.

In Texas, CO's seem to think they need machine guns, just got themselves some select fire M-16s.
http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/ts_more.php?id=60670_0_10_0_M

Is anybody else bothered by the way we use military forces like they were cops, and are trying to turn cops into an occupation army on our own soil? Another five years and you won't be able to tell the difference between a cop and a soldier, except the soldier can go to jail for violating a foreigner's rights.
I hear ya...BUT....blame the  liberal pussys that are taking over the United States....not me....the illegals that poach to survive and the drug smuggling "armys" are causing BIG problems in S.Texas and Arizona . Want to be a ranger in Arizona? You can't tell them from a grunt in Iraq! Head gear,Body Armor and yes they are armed!!! The problem is that the problem is soooo bad down there and there have been so many deaths of rangers that they can't get anyone to work on the borders. I can't blame them!!  Thats why the ranchers have their own little covert citizen groups that patrol their properties...and yes they are armed to the teeth also. You can actually join one if ya like that kind of action.... I don't.. Also just be glad the gubment isn't hacking up the old surplus M-16's and making the tax payers buy them new ones.... :roll: Don't you wish you could buy an M-16 for 400 bucks...last one I saw was $9,000. .....sorry to hi-jack this thread...you fellers up north sleep tight... :wink: ...
" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline Beekeeper

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2004, 06:18:24 PM »
Sadly we have some strange people in the woods.  My uncle is a wildlife officer, and they see some really strange things in the woods.  My main concern isn't hunters, but running into someone making meth in the woods, or up to something else.  However, I don't go into the woods looking for a fight, but its something to keep in the back of your mind.  I've found more pot plants than I can remember while scouting before deer season.  I'm not sure what the going rate of mature pot plants are, but I wouldn't doubt someone would shoot me to keep me from reporting it.  

Mitch:  I volunteered at a local police department for 3 years, and spent some time riding with the officers.  Some of them had AR's in their cars.  We were not worried about legal citizens with guns, but those loons smuggling drugs into the county.  Some of these people are well armed, and very dangerous to deal with.  EVERY traffic stop you make can be your last, and I always aproached vehicles with due caution.  No, we didn't go in with guns drawn, but during the entire stop we kept an eye on the people because you just can't trust anyone (I wanted to go home alive).  Sadly, law enforcement officers have had to take some tough steps to protect themselves.  It's a dangerous profession, and one that is very unpopular.  There is no way anyone can understand what it is like unless they have worn the uniform, and walked the beat.  I wish it didn't have to be this way, but this is the direction our society is heading.
Zach

Offline Pass the mustard

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2004, 12:34:16 AM »
Thanks for all the advice. :agree:

Offline gwhilikerz

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2004, 03:16:23 AM »
Yes I carry concealed when bowhunting, even tho it is illegal here in KY to have a gun while bowhunting (according to the fine folks with the dept. of fish and wildlife). I do this because of several incidents over the last few years that were a little to scary for me. I have found marijuana plants in the field. I have found a flaslight that upon openning had cocaine instead of batteries.  I immediately left the area and reported it to the state police. When I returned with the trooper to show him what I had found, the flashlight had $300 in cash inside instead of the drugs.  The trooper advised me to be "very careful" in case someone had seen me discover the flashlight. I also found an archery accessory box that had dope instead of broadheads in the same general area( this is public land :( ).  That same year an elderly man was shot and killed while he guarded a marijuana operation in that area, apparently by other dope dealers. There were rigged explosives surronding that field also. Then the next year a conservation officer was killed after he gave a person a ticket for fishing without a license. That person followed the officer back to his vehicle and shot him with a 22 rifle.
 I have also been "treed" by two german sheperd "pets" while bowhunting. Now I carry concealed during bow season and openly during all my other treks to the woods.

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2004, 04:50:51 AM »
pass the mustard don't worry about the range of the shot a 270win will handle a deer from 0-600 yards. also don't worry about losing meat you need to learn how to get meat first 3 1/4 of meat is better then no 1/4 of meat.
        it gona take some time to get good at shooting deer at 300 yards, although the 270 can handle it in its sleep , you said you have been shooting for a while but new to hunting, well you can never be to practised up when you get your gun go to a range and start shooting in hunting positions NOT benchrest only hunting positions will tell you how far away you can shoot. try this take some paper plates put them at 100 150 200 225 250 275 300 yards start at 100 and work your way out take two shots at each plate from a hunting position where ever you stop hitting you plate at is where you should call you maximum range.

a quickie on bullets , try a hornady ballistic tip  if your new to hunting your going to need all the help you can get . shot placement is everything but if your bullet happens to get a little off track most of the times these bullets will make up for it and still make the deer DRT (dead right there) i think the only factory load of them is hornady light mags   seem to fly good out of most rifles.

a simple answer will a 270 handi stabilize a 150 bullet ? Yes in theory, but you never know all rifles are different you just have to try it and find out.

the bigest thing i could stress to you is find a partner to hunt with ,its a lot better you have someone teach you then to learn on your own. i don't think i would worry about other people hurting you but do be carful. when i bow hunt i almost all the time carry a 380 or a 1911 but its for dogs not people . i will say this the 1911 seems to get carried a lot more when i hunt the back part of the farm , where i and my dad have found a lot of pot plants (its good having an old hippie around i never would of known what those things where). just be carful and use your own judgment is it worth braking the law and risk going to jail just because something might happen (probily wont).

oh and one last thing if you can find anyone to teach you let us know and start asking questions there is a lot of deer hunters here we'll be happy to help.
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline rmtaylor

• Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2004, 11:59:47 AM »
I have used 150 gr Hornady sst Factory loads and my own loads using H4831 that group well with my 270.

Richard
NRA Member
Living in Michigan but  "MY Home's in ALABAMA"

Offline Pass the mustard

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2004, 01:54:14 PM »
I didn't mean to imply that my shots would usually be around 300 yards.  I meant that 300 would be the farthest I would attempt a shot, but I'd rather try to get closer if I could.  Thanks for the info. :agree: