Author Topic: Used the Handi 30-06 on Caribou  (Read 543 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Used the Handi 30-06 on Caribou
« on: August 21, 2004, 09:29:51 PM »
Got a nice Caribou this morning with my Handi 30-06.  Used a Nosler 150 grain partation.  One shot at 250 yards.  

Awoke this morning, at 7:AM crawled out of the tent, and before I could get my boots on saw a Caribou cow about 300 yards away.  Looked up the hill and saw three more coming over the top.  Dropped down behind my 4-wheeler to keep from being seen.  Had my Handi mounted on the handlebars where it was convient.  Slipped the Handi down and loaded the round.  Watched the herd for about 30 minutes.  About eight or nine more joined them.  They kept going back and forth across the face of the hill.  Then a large bull stepped out of the trees and started down the slope.  Twice he truned and went into the trees and disappeared.  Both times I thought "That's it he's gone", only to have him return five minutes later.  The big bull did not join the herd, but stayed about 200 to 300 yards behind it.  Finally as the herd worked away from camp, the big boy stopped about 250 yards away.  I put the cross hairs on the center of his shoulder and hit high on the shoulder, taking out both lungs.  The bull ran about 75 yards and piled up.  

Going back tomorrow morning to see if a Grizzly has found the gut pile.  Maybe I can put the Handi to good use again.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2004, 03:34:48 AM »
Way to go Sourdough!!!!!!!!!! Post some pictures when you get back...and watch out for those Grizzlys...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Nightrain52

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2004, 05:04:49 AM »
Nice shootin there sourdough. Look out for them grizzlies, they like to bite back. Good luck. :D
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS