Author Topic: traded for an h@r ultra in .308 ... looks good so far ...  (Read 678 times)

Offline fish280

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
traded for an h@r ultra in .308 ... looks good so far ...
« on: August 23, 2004, 03:31:11 AM »
squeezed a tad of time at a public range sunday afternoon after screwing on a $24.95 wal-mart special bsa 4x32. two three-shot groups of .75 inch at 50 yards off bags, in hurry, in the heat, with 165-grain hornady factory rounds. both groups nicely round.
cheap scope tracked well. i'm thinking the stubby little rifle has great potential. it'll be ready to hunt after i have time to check 100 yard zero. fired 8 rounds. only one stuck in chamber but easily popped on out.
now for the stupid questions: where do i buy other barrels? aren't NEF and h&r ultra the same nowadays?
looking forward to trying other ammo brands/bullet weights. anybody with a .308 ultra with a favorite factory load? probably will not handload for this rascal.
thanks in advance.
His,
><>

Offline fish280

• Contributor
traded for an h@r ultra in .308 ... looks g
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 03:56:45 AM »
oh yeah, it's h&r ... i knew that ... not h@r ... :oops:
and the rifle is electroless-nickle (isn't that the term for the surface?) coated on receiver and barrel.
before i scoped it, by the way, i bedded the rail with jb weld. it's the newer rail with the pressure screw out front. might not need to try the o-ring thing with that heavy barrel considering how well it did with the first ammo tried.
His,
><>

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 05:36:51 AM »
Fish
If it shoots that good with factory, cost would be the only reason to handload.

Yes H&R and NEF barrels are virtually the same.  I say virtually, cause they are fitted to both, but there are some cosmetic differences.

Sounds like you got a good 'un.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 09:20:06 AM »
Accessory barrels available here...

http://www.hr1871.com/barrelAcc/index.htm
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bconway84

• Trade Count: (0)
You might also try
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004, 08:27:42 AM »
the Hornady Light Magnum in 165gr Boat Tail Spire Point. This may be what you already mentioned in your original post.

If not it runs at 2880fps compared to the standard at 2700fps.

These stay sub-MOA from my NEF 308, and are not that much different in recoil.

Mine seems to like the extra speed.

For target shooting I use and my rifle really likes the Federal Gold Match 168gr BTHP.

Here's a link to a good price on those, $13.09 per 20 rds.

http://www.firepowertv.us/product/RNDammospecials.asp?page=1&ShowAll=y&CSID=674050064&seed=5.498904E-02&navback=index.asp

I know you mention not handloading but thought you may like this load also.

I also after 6 months of experimenting have gotten really good results with a handload of Sierra 125 SP, with 48gr of BLC(2) & WLR primers, in Federal Match Brass, neck sized, OAL of 2.750. They when I do my part are consistently staying in the .5 MOA range. This load is below listed maximum but I still worked up to it from the minimum, I would encourge you to do the same if you try it.
"A superior combat handgunner is best defined as one who uses his superior judgement to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skills."

Offline fish280

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 08:56:35 AM »
bc et al:
i'll get back to handloading the .308 at some point. right now, with my limited time, i've got to settle on a load for my bolt swede. i got the ultra because there's are many factory combinations to try, available at most sporting good stores, plus cheap mil-surp.
i shot the regular 165s, by the way, not the light magnum. hope to shoot again saturday a.m. i think i'll try winchester's 165-grain ballistic silvertip factory loads, maybe some win 150-grain power points. already picked up some mil-surp for fun.
many thanks for the suggestions. that 125-grain load sounds way sporty.
His,
><>