Author Topic: Equipment You Take....  (Read 2211 times)

Offline Lawdog

• Trade Count: (0)
Equipment You Take....
« on: August 25, 2004, 11:21:27 AM »
What equipment do you pack with you for a day deer hunting?  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline The deerslayer

• Avid Poster
Equipment You Take....
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 11:50:55 AM »
I always take food, something to drink, my gun and ammo, sometimes a call, flashlight, and if I dont forget some toilet paper  :-D

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
Equipment You Take....
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004, 12:00:56 PM »
Hmmm...rifle/loaded, binocs, knife, T.P, food, drink, waterproof matches, space blanket, GPS + compass, flashlite/extra batteries, hand radio (if hunting with others in the area to help drag em out etc..) a variable grunt call, hard candyand oh yeh a deer drag.

long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
Equipment You Take....
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2004, 01:07:48 PM »
Water. Loaded Rifle. Hunting Knife. Binoculars. Pocket Knife(Case Split-back Whittler). Cold Steel Voyager(Large Clip-Point Folder). Grunt and bleat. Bic Lighter. Rattling Horns "Sometimes"

BackPack containing: More Water. Apple Juice. First Aid Kit with snake bite kit. Aspirin. More than enough Food. Energy Snacks. Toilet Paper. Scent Away Spray. Rain Gear. Extra Socks. Zippo with extra flint and small vile of fluid vacuum sealed. Book(s). Flannel Shirt. Emergency Blanket, trash bag(s). Liver Bag. Folding Saw. 6 Screw in the tree steps. Scents depending on the mood I am in. Extra Ammo.

If the fur bearer season is in I also carry a Ruger MkII .22 Pistol for the Grey and Red Fox, Bob Cat, Coon, etc.

If not gun season substitute Rifle for the proper tool.

I had to edit because I forgot the alcohol prep pad sized optic cleaners made by Baush and Lomb and also Rope.
I had to edit again because I forgot to list my 3 flashlights...a micromag with spare bulb and battery, a minimag with spare bulb, and a Brinkman L.E.D. and also 2 AA batteries....
"To me the rifle has always been the most romantic of all weapons, and of all rifles, the one I love the most is the rifle for big game." Jack O'Connor

Offline jhm

Equipment You Take....
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2004, 02:19:16 PM »
well I do most of my huinting around her on the place but I also carry the various items as mentioned also, but over the years I hace replaced the TP with several sheets of good quality paper towels and a few of the handi wipes that are sealed up in packages, like mom used to say always wear clean underwear you never know when you will be hit by a car, I guess that logick holds true in the woods also never know when the call of nature will come and then get run over by a car going to the deer check station :-D  :-D  :D   JIM

Offline SLAVAGE

• Trade Count: (21)
  • A Real Regular
Equipment You Take....
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2004, 03:05:26 PM »
two knives the k-bar large skinner an the gerber ez-zip, 2 deer calls adjustable ones, bleat n heat, 6-8 candy bars, 2 hogies or a few sandwitches, 4 20 oz cokes, extra set of gloves an socks, tp, cheap cammera,photo copy of my hunting an drivers lic, carry permit, just in case all so extra set of car keys,a backlavak the neck warmer/head cover for when it gets realy cold,set of hand warmers, extra set of glasses, rope an deer drag, maglite extra batteries, gps, map, handie wipes, an half box of extra shells, few garbage bags, zip ties  an the good old motorola talk about 250  
yeah it seams like a lot of weight but i dont come out untill the day is over or i have all my tags filled
but it isent that heavy at all an im a lazy recovering smoker lol

Offline 7mm MAGNUM

Equipment You Take....
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2004, 07:07:10 PM »
Well,... let's see here.  :?

I usually pack light unless I go into uncharted woods, but the usual consists of the following:

Rifle & 3 rounds in the mag.
6 additional rounds in belt holder case.
1 non-folding hunting knife w/ gut hook, & one folding Gerber with saw
blade.
1 small fanny pack
thermos with coffee @small mountain dew for later
some "Nips" coffee candys & a couple granola bars & jerky
Surgical latex gloves for doing the deed
GPS & compass
Hunting tags w/ zip ties & drivers license
Doe bleat in a can
2 small flashlights (mini-mag & a 10 LED output w/ spare AA batterys)
deer-drag rope
Fresh-Earth scent wafers
matches & 2 bic lighters
band-aids
Florescent Orange trail tape

I think that's about it  :grin:
Shoot Straight & Stay Safe!   :D

Terry Webster

Life Member NAHC
Life Member NAFC
Life Member NRA
Michigan Steelheaders Assn
MUCC
Michigan Bow Hunters Assn

Offline Dave in WV

Equipment You Take....
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2004, 03:53:36 AM »
Firearm and ammo, rope, water, granola bars and jerky, extra blaze vest, knife, radio it hunting out of friend's camp or cell phone if hunting near home, blaze watch cap, toilet paper, flash light, compass, and a small hand towel. If it's cold weather I carry an extra pair of gloves, down vest, hand warming muff, and hand warmer packs. I have a pack to carry my extra clothes and gear.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline JPSaxMan

Equipment You Take....
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2004, 04:56:09 AM »
Wow, 7Mag, makes it sound like your going into the deep unknown territory of the Woolie-Boolie :)  :wink: . Anyway, my pack usually consists of rifle, plus 4 rounds in mag, 6 extra cartridges in pack, water, flashlight, knife, deer rope, license and tags (which are obviously actually on my back), maybe something to nibble on like a Reses, binocs, and that's about it. There might be some additions later in the year but that's about it.
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline 7mm MAGNUM

Equipment You Take....
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2004, 05:05:27 AM »
Yep,.. well maybe it does sound that way.  :)

But I'm one of those who gets up REALLY early (4:00am) and takes a very long walk to my spot. When I get there,... I'm out for the day!
I'm out of my spot in the evening after I can't see out there anymore safely.

My average hike in the morning goes for about 4-5 miles in the woods.  :eek:  I have found that the BEST spots are normally way out there where nobody else like to travel.  :grin:  :grin:

The deer like it that way too !!  :wink:  8)
Shoot Straight & Stay Safe!   :D

Terry Webster

Life Member NAHC
Life Member NAFC
Life Member NRA
Michigan Steelheaders Assn
MUCC
Michigan Bow Hunters Assn

Offline JPSaxMan

Equipment You Take....
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2004, 05:09:45 AM »
Well, actually, I meant the other 7Mag, but OK.  :grin: I guess I get it lucky b/c I just walk not even a quarter mile to my stand and the place of refuge is just over the hill. So...if worse comes to worse...or if luck has it....my drag back to the house is a small distance and if emergency strikes...it's not far for that either.
JP

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
Equipment You Take....
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2004, 05:15:01 AM »
Besides my clothing, license, ammo, rifle, knife, binoculars, seat pad, scent killer, water, tissues, trail mix, extra blanket and hand warmer in cold weather, poncho and waterproof leggins in wet weather.
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline wareagleguy

Equipment You Take....
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2004, 05:48:42 AM »
Reading all this makes me think we are truly blessed.

Great to live in the country isn't it!!!
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline DeerMeadowFarm

• Avid Poster
Equipment You Take....
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2004, 07:07:16 AM »
Rifle (or shotgun if in MA) loaded, spare loaded clip (or extra shells), hunting license, pin-on style compass, a jackknife in my pocket and a small (4”) fixed blade on my belt. I have a separate leather belt that has my clip pouch and an Army surplus M-16 ammo pouch with my lucky drag rope attached via one of the grenade loops. Inside the pouch I have waterproof matches in a waterproof case, a spare compass, a space blanket, a folding saw (great for cutting a strong dragging stick), a mini mag-light, extra boot lace, a pencil stub, surgical gloves and some minor first aid supplies. I carry a couple of leftover Halloween snack-size candy bars and a small radio or cell in my pocket. I carry paper towels in my jacket pocket for tp or cleaning up.
"Aim small, miss small"

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
Equipment You Take....
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2004, 07:45:23 AM »
Quote from: Fishman029
Wow, 7Mag, makes it sound like your going into the deep unknown territory of the Woolie-Boolie :)  :wink:

You ought to hear the stuff I take when I do go into the deep unknown territory of the Woolie-Boolie.  :wink:  :)

My hunts are comparable to 7mm MAGNUM's I may cover a vast area and many hours in a single day.

If you had been in some of the situations I have been in, you would know that the "few" things I carry can be the difference between a good hunt and a bad one, and if fate turns sour, surviving and not...If you go back and read what I carry, it's not really all that much. A regular backpack half full of stuff or a small pack full...

If I am just hunting on the farm I might only carry my rifle(loaded), binos, and water, plus my three knives of course, and usually always carry the screw in the tree steps too.

But in a typical full day hunt a lot could happen, good and bad...

Oh yeah, another thing I always carry is a cleaning rod, just in case your barrel gets jammed full of mud it can mean the difference between staying out and going in...
"To me the rifle has always been the most romantic of all weapons, and of all rifles, the one I love the most is the rifle for big game." Jack O'Connor

Offline Steve Ruchala

Equipment You Take....
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2004, 09:40:41 AM »
Rifle loaded
Spae clip loaded
10 spare rounds on belt.
compas in shirt pocket
spare compas w/license
paper towles for when nature calls.
flash light
gps w/extra bateries (same as flashlight)
Folding knife
belt knife
break off razor blade knife, $.99
space blanket
matches, lighter, sparker
peices of cardboard milk carton for a fire starter
drag rope and extra parachute cord (doubles as a fire starter)
Ruber dish washing gloves, warmer than surgical gloves
water and food
gerber folding saw
orange fleece head cover for all day sits in Maine
6 feet of duct tape,  good for 1st aid
Advil Cold and Sinus, incase of sprain or headach.
all clothing is wool and/or synthetic for warmth if wet
zip ties, twist ties, and string
closed foam pad for sitting.

all fits in a small belt pack

Offline IntrepidWizard

Equipment You Take....
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2004, 11:11:39 AM »
I strongly recommed Magnesium bar and striker along with the above mentioed items.
Government is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force! Like fire, it is
a dangerous servant and a fearful master. -- George Washington

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
Equipment You Take....
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2004, 11:21:18 AM »
Quote from: IntrepidWizard
I strongly recommed Magnesium bar and striker along with the above mentioed items.

That is one of the hundred or so items I add when I go into the deep unknown territory of the Woolie-Boolie.   :lol:

No Joke, when my hunting trips exceed more than a Day I really "load" up the old A.L.I.C.E. and even then, as long as I/we set up a "return to campsite" my above mentioned pack still comes along...

Offline IntrepidWizard

Equipment You Take....
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2004, 11:44:33 AM »
In both rain and snow I have got a fire going with them.Also to save us Woodsy Hillbillies from searching for you flatlanders we recommend a whistle.
Government is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force! Like fire, it is
a dangerous servant and a fearful master. -- George Washington

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Equipment You Take....
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2004, 04:54:50 PM »
Wal, 7magWoodsman and others ya'll seem to pack a bit lighter than me but then I often travel as much as 150-250 yards from my truck. Just hate to have to make the long haul back if something is needed so I try to take it all with me. Of course I leave enough stuff in the truck for a week's stay in the wilderness for most folks.

And that's when I'm only going for a morning hunt. You should see me pack for an all day hunt. My Bronco isn't big enough to hold the stuff for a week's hunt.

Like a good boy scout I believe in being prepared.  :eek:  :-D  :D

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Equipment You Take....
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2004, 05:55:14 PM »
I carry fluorescent land line flagging to mark a blood trail.

Be Safe,
Scott

Offline JPSaxMan

Equipment You Take....
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2005, 05:48:06 AM »
Well, I now have to change the contents of my pack. I was on a 'deer camp' hunt this year which encompasses going miles in a day and being way too far away from the cabin to need something. I found all this stuff fits into my fanny pack.

Rifle (5 rounds in rifle, box of cartridges in pack)
Compass
Topo-map
Munchies (Reses, Kit-Kat's, etc)
Two sandwiches (one for breakfast, one for lunch)
Water
Deer drag
Matches
Face Mask

Phew. I think I might start using a backpack next year.  :-D   :D
JP

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Equipment You Take....
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2005, 07:17:25 AM »
I carry a back pack with: 2 scorpion flash lights and 1 spare set of batteries, bottle of water, wool hat, gloves, spare ammo, range finder, knife, cleaning kit (rubber gloves, string), snacks, rain gear if rain in forecast, stylist green flash light and my cel phone.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline iiibbb

• Contributor
Equipment You Take....
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2005, 03:29:23 PM »
-Rifle - 6 rounds ammo
-Crazy Creek chair
-Full change of warm clothes for the day (sweat my but off hiking to top of the mountain)
-Kershaw Chive and Deer gutting kit
-Racoon urine
-Water
-Book to read
-Food+Water
-Poncho
-Headlamp
-Compass+Map
-20ft length of climbers 1" tubular webbing
-Exceedingly basic first aid kit

Offline Braz475

Equipment You Take....
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2005, 05:36:49 PM »
I found all this stuff fits into my fanny pack.

wow that must be one small rifle fish! :-D

My pack consists of:
-Water bottle with filtration system
Buck knife, pocket knife
-waterproof matches, bic lighter
-Deer bags, liver and heart bags, trash bag
-TP
-hatchet
-couple small candy bars, brown lunch sack filled with apples, bananas, water bottle, couple sandwiches, chips
-Small maglight
-Map of area (if applicable)
-compass
-space blanket
-cell phone (camera phone)
-tags and license
-smith & wesson .357 shortnose revolver (sometimes wear on belt)

Offline trophyhunter

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
Equipment You Take....
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2005, 05:38:00 AM »
my pack is always heavier in the season but by the end of season i normally just got my rifle ammo and tags maybe some deer scent and a grunt call.

Offline JPSaxMan

Equipment You Take....
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2005, 11:45:05 AM »
Quote from: Braz475
I found all this stuff fits into my fanny pack.

wow that must be one small rifle fish! :-D

I completely missed this. You joker you  :)  :-D . Either a small rifle or a fairly large fanny pack  :-D .  :D
JP

Offline willysjeep134

• Contributor
Equipment You Take....
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2005, 05:12:51 AM »
If I'm moving around or watching trails I don't bring much. Just warm clothing on my body, a full magazine in my rifle with a spare cartridge in each shirt pocket, and a few fathoms of 3/8 inch rope for a drag line. I also have a pin on Marbles compas and a Marbles knife with, a full Zippo, and usually a handkerchief that I don't care too much about to wipe my hands off. Oh, and a flashlight; just an old metal 3-d cell.

If my folks are with I usually have an FRS radio with, but I keep it turned off unless I hear a close shot or if somebody is late for lunch or dinner.

If I am hunting out of a blind I will usually have a thermos of coffee for the mid morning leg-stretch, a wool blanket, maybe a candy bar, or even a magazine. Blind hunting doesn't have much appeal to me though, so I don't feel bad about reading when things are slow.

On one occasion last season I brought in a bucket with a seat. I was hunting down in a swamp bottom and had a little spot down in some brush to watch a few deer trails from. There wasn't a dry spot to sit.

I have also been known to bring TP from the outhouse for marking blood trails, although I haven't had to do that for a few years. TP shows up almost as well as flagging tape, but you don't need to go back and pick it up because the rain breaks it down really fast. Little scraps don't do too much harm and degrade pretty quickly.

In the truck we keep a few juice jugs filled with water for washing hands. Usually it ices up and your hands go numb after a few seconds, but it is still better than having a bloody steering wheel. We also usually bring a few spare orange hats in case somebody forgets their blaze orange at home, and a few spare cartridges for each rifle, and a pair or two of wool socks.

It seems like at least once every season I do this. I will take all the cartridges out of my rifle when I go inside the cabin for lunch. I will put them on the table, then eat, and walk off with an empty rifle. I always keep a few spare rounds in my shirt pockets so in case I forget to reload my rifle and remember when I am back in the woods I still have three shots to use.
If God wanted plastic stocks he would have made plastic trees.

Offline Don Fischer

• Trade Count: (1)
Equipment You Take....
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2005, 04:25:59 AM »
I get out most of the stuff totake that you guy's are talking about but generally what I don't forget on the table at home, I forget in the Bronco!

What I end up with, usually, is my rifle w/ loaded magazine, three extra shell's and a knife. Once in a while I remember the binocular's and sometime's water. But I'll have you know that if my house is broken into or my Bronco stolen, somebody will be very well equiped!

You guy's that well organized must be married?
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline JPSaxMan

Equipment You Take....
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2005, 10:05:06 AM »
Eh, married but....well...I don't think that's the cause of the organization :)  :-D  :D
JP