Author Topic: Need Info please!  (Read 742 times)

Offline no3

• Trade Count: (0)
Need Info please!
« on: January 17, 2003, 10:20:26 PM »
Hi :D
I am after some information on a few things and was wondering if anybody could help me?.
First off,I want to know when you “Oven Temper” cast bullets,does the oven have to be 475 F,for I have a little toaster oven that goes to about 220 Celsius (428F),Can I just put them in longer,or does it not work that way? :?

The other thing is,with Paper-patching what is the best bullet diameter to go for?
I measured my bore, twice and got the bore diameter as .4515,maybe go to .452? And the lands were .458. (Ruger #3 45/70)
What bullet diameter should i go for?
When I get the mould made,should I say that I want it to cast with pure lead or other?,I will be using mainly smokeless powder,but every now & then I would like to try black powder. Is it best to get a bullet mould that will cast a bullet,that will ride the bore with most of its length?.

Any help would be appreciated

Regards
Dale.
Bemm River,Australia.

Offline DennisB

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Contributor
Need Info please!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2003, 11:40:31 AM »
Dale:  I've got a #3 45-70 too.  Tried quite a few different cast bullet weights and loadings, and ended up very happy with the Lee 457-F 405 grain mold.  I use wheel weights, water quenched, and load em as-cast with 47.0 grains of IMR 3031.  Don't know the velocity, but they'll group inside 2" at 100 yards.  No leading in the barrel, either.  I put my toaster oven away a few years ago.  Water quenching seems ok--just keep it away from your lead pot!  Luck, Dennis
Dennis In Ft Worth

Offline Glen

• Trade Count: (0)
Need Info please!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2003, 02:55:22 PM »
Your toaster oven should work fine.  It might take a little longer, but you'll still harden your bullets.
Glen