Author Topic: Time for new binoculars  (Read 650 times)

Offline Elwood

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Time for new binoculars
« on: August 25, 2004, 03:17:43 PM »
I need new binoculars for deer hunting. There are some things that I know alot about but optics is not one of them. Can you optical geniuses help me?  I am currently concidering a Burris Explorer 8X42 or a Nikon Sporter 8x36. What do y'all think?
Thank You
Elwood P. Dowd :wink:
Vae Victis

Offline jackfish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Time for new binoculars
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 04:35:59 PM »
Not much. Neither of those roof prism binoculars are phase corrected.  If you want a good sustainable view in that price range you should consider a porro prism such as the Wind River Mesa 8x42mm or the Pentax PCF WP 8x40mm.  If you want a decent roof prism binoculars you will probably have to spend over $200, although the Minolta Activa D WP XL 8x42mm and Olympus Magellan EXWP I 8x42mm are pretty good for just under $200.

http://www.minoltausa.com/eprise/main/MinoltaUSA/MUSAContent/CPG/detailPage?cname=bino&fname=&Mname=Activa_D_WP_XL

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_product_lobbypage.asp?l=1&bc=21&p=12&product=682
You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Offline csimmons

Time for new binoculars
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004, 04:36:36 PM »
The big question is how much do you wish to spend?  

I recently purchased the Leica Duovid's and they work great but they are ridiculously expensive.  

The best reviews I found when I was looking for binoculars were on bird watching sites.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Time for new binoculars
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2004, 05:05:28 PM »
I use and recommend the Bushnell Legend in the reasonable price range. Just how good are they? Well I also own Leica's and use the Bushnell's by preference. I've set down with both side by side and used them extensively and actually prefer the Bushnell Legend. Yeah the Leica is a bit brighter and a bit clearer but NOT by a huge amount and the depth of field on the Leica and sensitivity of focus just makes them a less usable binocular to me.

I have zero experience with the others you mentioned so can offer no comments on them.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
Time for new binoculars
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 12:25:00 AM »
I would highly recommend looking at the Nikon Monarchs ATB 8x42's.  They are little over $200, but are well worth it.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline Dave in WV

Time for new binoculars
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2004, 04:20:59 AM »
Bill, Now that's an indorsement! That is the kind of info we need to see. Jon is saying what has been posted here many times. The Nikons are great. I have B&L Discoverer 7x42 binoculars. They were recommended a couple of years ago by a poster that uses "Eagle Eye" as his handle. I took his advice and I'm very happy. The Rain Guard really does work. The Optic Zone has great prices on Nikon optics as well as other products but Jon rules the roost on Nikon product prices. If you don't mind the extra bulk poro prism binoculars are less expensive and as good as roof prism designs if of the same quality. Poros don't need phase coatings to get the best light transmission. To get good binoculars it will cost you $200 or more.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Elwood

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Time for new binoculars
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2004, 06:13:35 PM »
Thank You
all for your replies it made my job easier. This is the best part of a forum our fellow enthusiasts helping each other.
I appreciate the advice.

Elwood P. Dowd   :D

P. M. for Jackfish
Vae Victis

Offline Eagle Eye

• Avid Poster
Time for new binoculars
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2004, 01:36:35 PM »
I am the poster that Dave mentioned two posts back.  I stilll have the B & L Discoverers and love em.  Great bino for the buck.