Author Topic: What kind of shooting sticks to buy???  (Read 734 times)

Offline Suds1957

• Trade Count: (0)
What kind of shooting sticks to buy???
« on: August 25, 2004, 03:24:09 PM »
Whats your favorite kind of shooting sticks and why???? I need to buy some and was wondering what everyone perfered, also has anyone had any problems with any certain brand or type?   Thanks and good hunting this fall!!!!

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 05:33:58 AM »
When I need shooting sticks, I prefer to make my own out of slender, strong branches cut to my preferred length (for me it's 30"), joined at the crossing point about 4" from one end with a single wood deck screw, and fastened with a loose strap of 1" wide quadruple-thick camo cloth tied to both sticks about 2" above the crossing point. This provides a flexible and soft "groove" between the top branches of the sticks for resting your stock. For a really stable rest, add another 4" shorter stick joined with a short leather thong tied to both longer sticks just below the crossing point, with the thong passing through a hole drilled 1/2" from the end of the shorter stick. Either setup gives you a naturally camoflaged device that is inexpensive, easily folded together for transport, and works as good as any you can buy.
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 06:39:29 AM »
Alot of shooters like these DIY....

http://www.varmintal.com/abifu.htm

I have a Stoney Point Explorer that is real nice cuz it works standing or sitting and it's light. I made a leather sling for it for easy carry.

http://www.stoneypoint.com/bipod_index.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Rmouleart

• Contributor
  • Aim small hit small.
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 07:36:39 AM »
I have a Stoney Point shooting stick, a well built shooting stick, folds up like the old blind mans walking stick, comes in very handy when taking a long shot. I also use the stoney point for my revolvers at a stand, worth every pennie when you are in open tundra or need to take a pin point long shot ;) Aim small hit small. RAMbo

http://www.cabelas.com/products/Cpod0005830.jsp

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 02:24:22 PM »
My favorite shooting sticks are the ones that I make myself.  

I use two peices of 3/8" stainless tubing coated with Rhino Liner and held together with thick rubber bands about six or eight inches from the top.

They're very sturdy, and easily adjustable to different types of terrain.
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters