Author Topic: State fair guns, Asking for trouble  (Read 503 times)

Offline Dali Llama

• Trade Count: (0)
State fair guns, Asking for trouble
« on: August 26, 2004, 02:07:16 AM »
or, Publisher airs his whining, hysterical paranoia from his ivory tower. Comments in parentheses are those of the Webmistress.

By HENRY J. WATERS III, Publisher, Columbia Daily Tribune
Published Tuesday, August 17, 2004
Knowing its decision was controversial, the Missouri State Fair Commission quietly decided to allow concealed weapons everywhere on the fairground except in the grandstands, where liquor is sold.

This policy contradicts the one common in other state facilities and in most private businesses, where firearms and other weapons are explicitly forbidden. At the state fair, prohibition signs refer only to grandstands.

The curious reasoning of concealed-guns supporters was exemplified by the comment of Rep. Todd Smith, R-Sedalia, who said he had no problem with the permissive policy. "It puts the bad guys on notice that they may not be the only ones carrying guns on the fairgrounds," said Smith, who was a strong supporter of the new law allowing concealed weapons.

It also should put every person and family on notice that no telling how many members of the crowd whose elbows they brush might be carrying heat in a venue where violence is possible. People drink on the grounds. Outbursts of "concourse rage" can erupt. When good old boys or girls get mad, the opportunity for mayhem is obvious if they have small handguns at the ready. (EXCUSE ME???)

Chances are no such disaster will occur. People, even state fair crowds, are inherently civilized. Criminals bent on committing gun crimes are not likely to choose a crowded fairground setting. (Oh yeah, tons of people carrying cash, yep, that is the LAST place a criminal would go to cause problems.) But indisputably, the more guns people randomly carry, the more chance of injury or death to innocent victims.

The fair commission must be populated with gun lovers, rationalizing to themselves they merely are following the law. But as safety consultant Byron Smith told The Associated Press, "There is a very high cause for concern, and itÂ’s astonishing Missouri is taking on this liability."

Indeed. The best and only way to protect against such liability in any given venue is to make and publicize strict prohibition policies. Having made none, the state can expect to be found partially liable if someone is injured or killed by anyone toting a concealed weapon on its fairground.
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline PA-Joe

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 03:46:01 AM »
I think this is a very good move. You can not have a conditional Second Amendment. If it's public lands then the Second Amendment is part of our rights. I don't understand how we can legally have restrictions at state and national parks.

Offline Nightrain52

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 04:26:41 AM »
I am sure everyday if you are out among the public you have been aroung someone who is  'packing". A responsible gun owner usually keeps the fact he is carrying hidden to not attract attention to themselves. Some states do allow open carry which is fine with me. This person sounds like chicken little-the sky is falling-the sky is falling. The sheeple don't have a clue about the real world. The cops will protect them. Ya right. :coffee:
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS

Offline tubbythetuba

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 06:37:15 AM »
IMO, here is another facet of modern life we can thank the Trial Lawyers for :evil: As far as facility operators go, it's the liability they are conerned about, not the guns. Of course, the anit-gun crowd takes the ball and runs with it every chance it gets. My company is the same way; we go thru entire neighborhoods where every house is probably either buyers or sellers of meth or other drugs. The offical line is don't hurt anyone, just call 911  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll: I have dog spray and a machete and a few heavy wrenches (all tools of the trade) and a pretty good SOG that opens up real fast, but I couldn't compete in a gun fight. Knock On Wood :roll:
That Sound You Hear In The Woods While Hunting  Is Deer Laughing

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2004, 01:18:48 PM »
Quote from: tubbythetuba
I have dog spray and a machete and a few heavy wrenches (all tools of the trade) and a pretty good SOG that opens up real fast, but I couldn't compete in a gun fight.
Dali Llama say ancient Tibetan proverb state that man who bring knife to gunfight come out on losing end of tussle.

Offline tubbythetuba

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2004, 02:31:44 PM »
Quote from: Dali Llama
I have dog spray and a machete and a few heavy wrenches (all tools of the trade) and a pretty good SOG that opens up real fast, but I couldn't compete in a gun fight.
Dali Llama say ancient Tibetan proverb state that man who bring knife to gunfight come out on losing end of tussle.

When all else fails, I just quote a little Shakespeare at 'em :P  :P  :P  :wink:  :wink:
That Sound You Hear In The Woods While Hunting  Is Deer Laughing

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2004, 04:43:33 PM »
Quote from: Dali Llama

When all else fails, I just quote a little Shakespeare at 'em :P  :P  :P  :wink:  :wink:
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: