Author Topic: Barrel Change Question  (Read 778 times)

Offline Jeffery8mm

• Trade Count: (59)
  • A Real Regular
Barrel Change Question
« on: August 26, 2004, 03:18:10 AM »
I am a bit confused.  I see that you have to send the reciever back to have it fitted to the new barrel.  Some of you guys talk about buying and selling barrels to other NEF owners.  How is that possible? can you just buy a barrel and put it on?  I have a 223 bull Handi and LOVE it.  I want a 30-06 barrel for it. Thanks for clearing this up.
Jeff
With proper care and maintenance the human body will last a lifetime! :)

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Barrel Change Question
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 09:55:21 AM »
First of all Jeff H&R/NEF will fit the new barrel to your receiver not the other way around or your excisting barrel would no longer fit your receiver.  As for part 2 of your question... Yes, many folks have bought 2nd hand barrels for use on their receivers.  Not to get overly malo-dramatic but this does involve some risks. If you don't know how to check for proper lock up and head spacing or don't have a competentnd gun smith check this for you, you could end up with dangerousus condition.  Sometimes material will need to be removed or added to the barrel lug for proper fit, other times you get lucky and nothing will need to be done at all.

In my case I don't have enough knowledge & patience or the proper tools to check for and correct an ill fitting barrel so I would have to pay a smith to do this for me.   That being the case I would rather get a new, warranted barrel, fitted at the factory than to take a chance on a used barrel.   But that's me, you have to make your own call. [/b]
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Jeffery8mm

• Trade Count: (59)
  • A Real Regular
Question answered
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 10:47:35 AM »
Thanks.  I too will send in for a NEW barrel.  What ar ethe chances of an 8mm barrel in the future.  I have a ton of surplus!!
Jeff
With proper care and maintenance the human body will last a lifetime! :)

Offline Brett

Barrel Change Question
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 12:09:12 PM »
Your guess is as good as mine on that one.  If you want to spend the "dime" you could call them @ 978-630-8220 and ask them if they have an 8mm in the works.

Oh... one other item I forgot to mention; Due to earlier metallurgy & heat treating processes used at H&R/NEF you may not be able to put barrels chambered for high pressure calibers on your receiver depending on its year of manufacture.  Give CS your guns serial # when you talk to them and ask them if it is possible to add an '06 barrel to your gun before you send it in.  Yet another reason why buying used barrels for your receiver could possibly cause problems.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Barrel Change Question
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 12:38:44 PM »
You can save your "dime" and just email em, they usually respond the following business morning. They'll answer your questions concerning barrel fitting, trigger jobs and caliber availability. Been there, done it. :grin:

hr1871@hr1871.com
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Pass the mustard

• Trade Count: (0)
Barrel Change Question
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2004, 01:57:25 PM »
Once you send in your receiver to have a new barrel fitted, can you then switch the barrels yourself whenever you wish?  Or do you have to send it to the factory every time you want to switch?

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
Barrel Change Question
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2004, 02:00:24 PM »
PTM, once the barrel is fitted by the factory, you can switch them yourself.
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline Pass the mustard

Barrel Change Question
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2004, 02:43:08 PM »
I'm starting to see why they call them 'Handi' rifles. :agree:

Do any other manufacturers make barrel swapping with one receiver that easy?

Offline Brett

Barrel Change Question
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2004, 03:02:19 PM »
Quote from: Pass the mustard
I'm starting to see why they call them 'Handi' rifles. :agree:

Do any other manufacturers make barrel swapping with one receiver that easy?

Yep, Thompson Center (TC for short).  With a TC you can buy barrels made either by them & by any of several after market manufacturers right of the shelf and not have to send your gun off to the factory or a gun smith for fitting.  :grin:  Your probably asking yourself  'So what's the catch?'  :?:  You will have to dig at least twice as deep into your pockets to buy a TC.   :(   Savage Arms Co. also makes a bolt action rifle that you can swap barrels on relatively easily.  And Mossberg had one for a while but the last I heard they had "suspended" manufacture of it.   There may be a few other custom or semi-custom guns out there that can swap barrels as well.

Offline Mitch in MI

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
Barrel Change Question
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2004, 03:20:41 PM »
Thompson Center makes it easier with their Contender and Encore. All barrels are supposed to interchange without fitting. (but there seems to be a market for oversize hinge pins which would suggest that it's not 100% perfect)

The bad news is that a T/C receiver (no stock or barrel) costs more than a Handi rifle, and so does a barrel. So you might be able to get a gun with two barrels for $700-800, or you could have three or four complete H&R/NEF rifles for the same money.

Offline bull b 25-06

Barrel Change Question
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2004, 07:31:01 PM »
ROSSI is another single-shot breech load gun. A friend of mine at work bought one in .223/20 gauge, but has never commented on it's quality. Maybe it's nothing to brag about,but i sure do brag on my 45/70 & .223 survivor. My survivor is the nickel plated version. Anybody ever seen one like that. I notice that on NEF's website they don't have this option,but also my survivor was manufactured in 1997.

later bull b 25-06   :D
If at first you don't succeed then change the rules

Offline Pass the mustard

Barrel Change Question
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2004, 08:16:45 PM »
The T/C sounds good, but the versatility of the Handi is so attractive because it's so affordable.  Seems to me that charging an arm and a leg for it would defeat the purpose.  But I'm looking at it from a purely practical standpoint.  Affordable and versatile, that's what appeals to me.

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Barrel Change Question
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2004, 08:12:58 AM »
Bull, I own a Rossi 223/20. It is a good little gun. However it is no H&R NEF. I don't suppose there is any reason for your co-worker to praise his gun. :grin:  But it does work. :grin: