Author Topic: cleaning  (Read 625 times)

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
cleaning
« on: August 29, 2004, 07:44:58 AM »
anyone have any reasons why i shouldnt use WD-40 to clean my guns? it takes grease right off, for cleaning brand new guns, and for older ones, it smoothes hinges and makes the inside of barrels new again. plus it displaces water so when it rains on em it wont be as bad as it might be without the WD-40.

i use WD-40 in the barrels until they look clean and then a light coat of oil inside and outside the barrel.

usually this if right after Hoppes, so the powder is long gone.

i dont use it on the triggers, hammers, slides, or any other friction point where grease or oil are needed to keep wear from happening.

btw MSP, since you read about every post here like i do, i thought of this thread while cleaning the gun i am sending you. i figured you might like a nice clean gun to start with.  8)
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
cleaning
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2004, 09:47:16 AM »
Thanks mjbgalt, I appreciate that. After qualifications and while at the cleaning station on my old "job" the rangemasters would say, "A clean gun is a happy gun!!!"....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline HuntenNut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
cleaning
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2004, 11:39:52 AM »
WD40 will gum up and discolor bluing after a while if left on and is why most gunsmiths frown upon it for guns.

There are many good products out there that will work just as well without the bad side affects.

I like Birchwood Caseys myself, but other good stuff is available.

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
cleaning
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2004, 12:32:08 PM »
alrighty then, so how do i get it off? i added oil afterward so....?
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
cleaning
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2004, 01:36:46 PM »
Try some Hoppes #9.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline rob4

wd40
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2004, 07:46:32 AM »
I have shot one shotgun since I was 16, a Remington 870 Wingmaster.  I'm 43 now.  I've used WD-40 exclusivley in the gun, barrel, rails, to spray out the trigger, etc.  I hunt a lot, mostly duck hunting (which can ravage a gun) and have never had my whole gun reblued.  I occasionally (every 4 years) touch up some spots with Birchwood Casey bluing,  But only from wear, not from WD-40 eating the bluing off.  It's a great product that hasn't caused any adverse affects on metal or plastic on my gun.  My gun still looks great!

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
cleaning
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2004, 08:26:28 AM »
I stopped using WD- 40 and went to using rusty duck on the outside of my guns after a outing. It seems to be easrier on the finish  I also took a can of it to the little vaction Uncle Sam sent me on and I found it out worked better then the stuff the Army was using.  Its really light and does not atrack the dust a heavier lube does.

Just my two cents
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline savageT

cleaning
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2004, 10:01:38 AM »
For what it's worth.........
I've heard stories in the past about how bad WD-40 is for cleaning guns.  Some gunmakers won't allow it on the premises....NOTA/ZIP/ZERO?????
Now, I'm a firm believer in a product that has been around Europe for many years and has been respected for its water grabbing and cleaning strength.......highly regarded for black powder cleaning called "BALLISTOL".

If you're looking for a home-brewed bore cleaner, try "Ed's Red"....the formulation is everywhere on the internet.  You make it from Automatic Transmission Fluid, K1 kerosene, Mineral Spirits (paint thinner), and Acetone.  You can mix a gallon that will last a life-time!!!!  With the addition of lanolyn, you don't have to worry about oiling the bore for storage.

Jim
savageT........Have you hugged a '99 lately?

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most.