Author Topic: Winchester Positive Expanding Points  (Read 774 times)

Offline squirrel_hunter6

• Trade Count: (0)
Winchester Positive Expanding Points
« on: September 01, 2004, 08:39:50 AM »
I was wondering if anybody has tried the Positive Expanding Points on Deer. I think Winchester only makes them in 25-06 and 25wssm.

http://www.winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=X25062&cart=MjUtMDYgUmVtaW5ndG9u

I just recently got a 25-06. It shoots Remington 120gr Core-lokts and Hornady 117gr SST very well. I saw the Winchesters at a store and decided to buy a box. I haven't shot them yet to see if they will group good in my gun. They are a different looking bullet. They look like the power points that had the lead tip pulled out. :-D
Squirrels are my game but, Jesus is my LIFE!   8)

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2004, 10:16:45 AM »
squirrel_hunter6,

I have been a big fan of the “Quarter Bore’s” for years.  I have been shooting the .25-06 since before Remington adopted it and gave it their name(got my first one in 1962).  I believe you’ll find that with the velocity that the .25-06 has bullets like the SST, Ballistic Tip, etc. will give inconsistent performance.  I have had bullets(not varmint bullets either) like those I mentioned fragment after hitting a rib bone.  Almost lost nice bucks due to their failure.  I looked at the cross section of the Win. bullet and the jacket looks to be too thin to suit me.  I’ll stick to premium bullets(Partition, Barnes TSX, etc.) for all my big game hunting needs.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline squirrel_hunter6

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2004, 09:23:10 AM »
Thanks for the reply Lawdog.  :D

Do you think that the ballistic tip style bullets fragmented due to the high velocity? The length of my barrel is only 20 inches. I was told that a shorter barrel loses a little velocity but it is more accurate. Do you think that I might have better luck with a ballistic tip style bullet since, I am producing a little less velocity? Do you think that they would pass all the way through a deer with a reasonably placed shot?

I hunt mainly in the woods and my shots will more that likely always be less than 100 yards. This is my first deer rifle and I liked the 25-06 because it didn't kick much.

I am having trouble finding ammo for the 25-06 around here. What I can get locally is 120 gr Remington Core-lokts, 117 gr Hornady SST, 120gr Winchester Positive Expanding Points, and I did see a box of 115 gr Nosler Paritions for $27.00!  :shock: Oooh! That is expensive. I guess I could buy a box of those if I need to and practice with something that is cheaper, like the Core-lokts.

I guess I just have a lot of uncertainty and I want to be able to kill the deer quickly and be able to find it. I am learning how to deer hunt on my own.

I have a friend that is letting me deer hunt on his land. Unfortuanetly, he is planning to cut all his land for timber next year. :(  Oh well.
Squirrels are my game but, Jesus is my LIFE!   8)

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2004, 12:03:25 PM »
squirrel_hunter6,

Do you think that the ballistic tip style bullets fragmented due to the high velocity?

I had a nice talk with one of the Nosler technicians after my failures with Ballistic Tips.  He told me that Ballistic Tips were never designed for velocities much over 2,850 fps.

The length of my barrel is only 20 inches. I was told that a shorter barrel loses a little velocity but it is more accurate. Do you think that I might have better luck with a ballistic tip style bullet since, I am producing a little less velocity?

NO.  You will only loose about 25(+/-) fps. per inch(according to test reports I have seen) so if you start with a load that gets around 3,100 fps. from a 24” barrel you will still be over the velocity the tech. stated the Ballistic Tip were designed for.

Do you think that they would pass all the way through a deer with a reasonably placed shot?

NO!!!  Not at the ranges you state(100(+/-) yards) you will most likely be shooting.  You should be using a premium bullet.

I was told that a shorter barrel loses a little velocity but it is more
accurate.

And as for a shorter barrel being more accurate it has never been proven to me to be so.  I have seen a few 22” barreled .25-06’s and none have been able to shoot as well as my 26” versions(Ruger M77V, Remington M700BDL Varmint and Ruger No. 1).  I believe you were given bad information here.  Small groups and tight lines to you.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.