Author Topic: Mueller  (Read 984 times)

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Mueller
« on: September 02, 2004, 07:50:44 PM »
I have read a lot of yall's post's about Mueller Optics and have searched the net for reviews and experiences and am thinking very seriously about getting one.
I am interested in the 3x-9x 40mm model...How do you all feel about the Mueller Line after using them for a while now? Has anyone had any troubles? Can you get batteries for the illuminated reticle easy? Had any leakage problems?
Waterproofness is my main concern as well as reliability and clarity of course.

Anyone tried a non-illuminated version? Do the non-illuminated models have an etched glass reticle also?

Thanks in advance.
 :D
"To me the rifle has always been the most romantic of all weapons, and of all rifles, the one I love the most is the rifle for big game." Jack O'Connor

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Mueller
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 04:24:23 AM »
From reviews I've read at RFC and Chuck Hawks, I know the eraticator has a glass etched reticle and assume the 4-16x50 does too, but not positive about that. I have both, they are real nice optics, especially considering their cost. The battery is a standard 2032, the most commonly used large button cell, available at any photo center, hardware and variety store. They last a long time and are about the size of a nickel so you can always carry a spare and are cheap enough that you can replace them often enough that you don't need to worry about em failing in the heat of battle. Don't know about their waterproofness, but know of 2 scopes that were replaced by Mueller within a week of being sent in for foreign matter loose in the tube. I know of a bunch of eraticators and 4-16x50 red dots that have been trouble free, some owners owning more than one cuz they like em so much, me included. Time will tell as to their long term reliability.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Donaldo

• A Real Regular
Mueller
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 05:40:56 PM »
I looked thru a Mueller at a gun show recently and was really impressed with the clarity of the optics.  To me, many scopes, big name ones also seem to get somewhat cloudy or dim when zoomed to full power.  Guess this is somewhat due to the smaller exit pupil at the higher power.  However the Mueller seemed to stay clear.  I know looking thru one at a gun show is not much of a test of anything other than lens clarity but be that as it may, its a fairly impressive piece of work.  Another reasonably priced scope that impressed me enough to by one is the Simmons ATV.  Seems as clear to me as their Aetec line.
Luke 11:21

Offline Mueller Optics

• GBO Sponsor
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.muelleroptics.com
Mueller
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2004, 10:36:52 AM »
We have done 2 things to greatly reduce the cost of our scopes:

1. We cut out the distributor and sell to the dealer direct. This is like cutting out the middle man which allows us to take this margin right out of the price all together.

2. We are not launching a large advertising campaign and only advertise in magazines that produce results. Some of these ads can cost anywhere from $1000-$8000 per one page ad, per magazine. Just imagine doing that in 50-100 magazine a month and guess who eventually pays for it? That's right you! We don't feel you should bare these costs so we rely heavily on word of mouth endorsments which has been working extremely well thus far. Now we can offer a higher quality scope at a more affordable price and of course if you get a great deal, your gong to share it with your friends, right? Thats our goal.

Our scope are Nitrogen purged, waterproof, fogproof and shock proof and have been tested  by professionals. Knight Rifles (Muzzleloaders) were so impressed that you may see the Mueller scope being offered as a combo on one of their new models in the near future.

MO

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
Mueller
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2004, 11:30:38 AM »
Mueller Optics,
Thanks for the response. I have heard nothing but good things about your scopes.
My main concern as far as leakage is not the tube but rather the battery compartment. I am sure they are fully waterproof as you say, but I have always been skeptical with electronic devices on a hunting instrument, after all, if my tools fail I fail. And I will not quit hunting just because it's flooding.
Thanks again for the reply.
7mag
 :D

Quickdtoo and Donaldo,
Thank you both for your replys also.  :D
"To me the rifle has always been the most romantic of all weapons, and of all rifles, the one I love the most is the rifle for big game." Jack O'Connor

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Mueller
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2004, 01:46:05 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much if the battery goes dead or there is an electronic failure, the reticle then just becomes like any other non-illiminated reticle, it doesn't disappear, just goes black instead of red. And you can hunt with the illuminated feature off, if you choose, it still works fine. I did all my sighting in with the reticle in the black mode on both scopes because of the target I was using.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Mueller Optics

• GBO Sponsor
  • Avid Poster
Mueller
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2004, 03:13:06 PM »
7magWoodsman,
quickdtoo is right, Mueller illuminated scopes will still have a full reticle if the battery fails unlike most red dot scopes.

I see you were interested in the 3-9x40, if I might make a suggestion upgrade to the 3-10x44 which has a one-piece tube and has a slightly larger FOV. Almost everyone who I recommended the upgrade to has emailed me and thanked me for the upgrade because they were so impressed.  Even their buddies with top dollar Leupolds, Nikons, Bushnells were jealous because of the price difference as opposed to the clarity and brightness difference (virtually none). The biggest questions: "yeh our competitors scopes may cost two and three times as much but do you see two and three times the difference in quality"? Not!

MO

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
Mueller
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2004, 08:28:14 PM »
Quote from: Mueller Optics
I see you were interested in the 3-9x40, if I might make a suggestion upgrade to the 3-10x44 which has a one-piece tube and has a slightly larger FOV.

I would upgrade just for the one piece base, but to step up to a 44mm objective would mean I would have to use high rings, and that extra 1/8" higher the scope sits up means my jaw is on the stock instead of my cheek, which throws my shooting style out whack. Field of view is irrelevant. Don't get me wrong, I insist on enough FOV to see what's on either side of my target and also have enough to lead ahead of running game, and even a 32mm gives more than enough FOV for both instances...As far as 44mm scopes and light transmission, well the human eye can only soak up so much, and after YEARS and YEARS of scoped rifle hunting, I have learned that a good 40mm objective will keep you out in the woods just as long as ANY other objective size...I either have owned or do own scopes varying in objective sizes of 20, 32, 38, 40, 42, 44, 50, and 56mm and have found that the 40mm is IDEAL for me, especially since they usually sit about 2.5mm off my barrel after adding Butler Creek Flip-Up caps with medium rings and I love the way most 40mm scopes are exactly as wide as the stock is...also the 44-56mm scopes just seem to catch every branch and briar bush in the country, but only at the worst possible time.
Thanks again for the recommendation but objectives larger than 40mm are not for me.
7mag

If you all made a 2x-7x (40)42mm non-illuminated with a one piece tube and an etched glass reticle and about a constant 4"-4.5" eye relief, I would re-scope quite a few of my rifles with them...hint, hint. :grin:
or a 4x-14x(3x-12x) (40)42mm without an adjustable objective. just a couple thoughts.

I believe I will try one of your scopes, just to see for myself...If I am half as happy as you think I will be, I will surly spread the word around here.

Stay Safe. Happy Hunting/Shooting.  :D

Offline Mueller Optics

• GBO Sponsor
  • Avid Poster
Mueller
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2004, 01:32:47 AM »
We appreciate everyone's input and use this information for determining what models we will be producing in the future. We then take this info (if we see a pattern develop) and display them at the trade shows to see what type response they get before going into production with them.

MO

Offline Donaldo

• A Real Regular
Mueller
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2004, 08:56:45 AM »
I must say it is certainly refreshing to see a scope manufacturer participating in these forums.  Many times I have wanted to ask a manufacturer a question about something and could not find it in their automated FAQ's and never have gotten a reply from emailing them.  Good job Mueller.
Luke 11:21

Offline goose7856

• Contributor
Mueller
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2004, 10:53:08 AM »
I agree witht he 4x-14xby 42mm or the 3-12x42mm, even a 3-15x42 would be good (HAHA sry greaybeard, and 7mag lol!!)

All with 1 piece tubes, and an etched reticle if possible (wire if not possible).......also i would like to say the red dot on your sport dot series, is perfect for varmint hunting, that lil dot would be perfect for head shots on squirrels or anything else (IMO). (JUST EASIER TO USE FOR VARMINTS THAN CROSSHAIRS IMO). I do not know if the one piece tubes would increase the cost of the scope, but if you could make one of those mentioned for about $200 it would be a keeper!! (Also, and German #4 Reticle, with the red dot, woudln't be a bad touch??!!) :D
Good Hunting and Straight Shooting

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
Mueller
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2004, 11:50:58 AM »
Quote from: goose7856
I agree witht he 4x-14xby 42mm or the 3-12x42mm, even a 3-15x42 would be good (HAHA sry greaybeard, and 7mag lol!!)

Me and you want high mag levels for different reasons, you want it because you think it will magically increase your range and accuracy, I would use it for 500-1000yard shots, which I can already make, and if Mueller would happen to make a 4x-14x withOUT an AO, it would NOT go on any "hunting rifle" I own...especially not one for small game or deer.

A 3x-15x is next to impossible to make, if it wasn't every good manufacturer would already make one...a lot of scopes that claim to be a 3-15 is really a 3.9-14.1