Author Topic: Hunting results with .357 mag rifle?  (Read 681 times)

Offline huntsman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Hunting results with .357 mag rifle?
« on: September 06, 2004, 08:28:22 AM »
I would like some feedback from anyone who has used the .357 mag caliber on whitetails. What kind of results have you gotten and at what ranges? Thanks in advance. 8)
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline papellet

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004, 12:39:10 AM »
I have a lever action .357 Rossi. It has killed many deer, none of them going more than 50 yards.  Here in the PA woods, we seldom get shots more than 50 yards, most 10 to 40.

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 01:20:19 AM »
I have shot a few deer with a S&W Model 681 .357 4" barrel, at ranges of 20-40 yards, and it did the trick every time. I know you are interested in information about rifles, but if a pistol with a 4" barrel will do it....
I would probally keep my distances to a minimum...maybe 75 yards...maybe...and only then if you are using a good load.

Stay Safe. Happy Hunting/Shooting. :D
"To me the rifle has always been the most romantic of all weapons, and of all rifles, the one I love the most is the rifle for big game." Jack O'Connor

Offline Mattkc

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2004, 07:32:36 PM »
Last year I took my 357 lever deer hunting.  I got a lot of advise from hunters on the web who hunt with a 357.  I must admit once I got into the woods I felt undergunned until I shot my deer.  Shot a nice doe 30-40 yards in her chest.  She jumped up and took off.  I went down to where I thought she was standing looking for blood.  When I got near I noticed a 5' pink oval in the snow with a plug of deer hair in the middle.  I looked at her trail and there was a foot wide blood trail.  I would normally wait before tracking a deer but nothing could live long bleeding like that.  I found her about 50 yards away stone dead the round went through both lungs and exited.  I don't feel under gunned in the deer woods anymore.  What I learned from other hunter was use a sp bullet for total penetration with a max load of powder I used LiL'Gun.  Cast bullets work to but the deer tend to run farther.

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Out West
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2004, 06:43:10 AM »
I have been hearing similar stories of deer kills here in PA for years like yours. Most guys I know are using factory 180gr or 158gr loads.

All this talk makes we wana get a 357 lever gun.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline Mirage

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2004, 02:03:31 PM »
haven't hunted yet but am planning on it for my Son's 1st hunt October 9th. Worked up a 1 hole load using speer 170 GDSP atop 14.8 gr Lil'Gun. This is the starting load in the supplemental manual and is the most accurate in my 1894 (my Son's).

I have found this gun to be one of my most pleasureable guns to shoot. It is really confidence building for my 11 year old.  I'll probably set aside a day in November to take it out myself.

Mirage

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2004, 03:19:20 PM »
I loaded some .357 ammo for a freind. His rifle is a Timber Wolf pump made by IMI. I loaded 158gr Hornady XTP hollow points over a max charge of H110. He has bagged several deer with it. He has never recovered a bullet and all were one shot kills. The longest shot was over 100 yards and the buck dropped within a few steps.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein