Author Topic: Which of these 2 guns for my wife?  (Read 878 times)

Offline jonr

• Trade Count: (0)
Which of these 2 guns for my wife?
« on: September 07, 2004, 03:03:04 AM »
OK here is the situation. My wife is interested in deer hunting with me this fall. She is a good shot, but the largest rifle she has shot is a .22 mag.

I have 2 rifles that I am trying to decide between:

1) Old model Ruger .44 mag carbine with 4x scope

or

2) Rem bolt action .243 youth model with variable scope

All shooting will be less than 100 yards from the edge of green strips.

Which of these 2 guns would you choose?

Thanks for the feedback!

Jonr

Offline Chuck White

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 03:23:44 AM »
Right off-hand, I would suggest the 243!

She will be able to shoot quite a lot further with it than the 44Mag!
I also think that the recoil will be a little less!

In all honesty though; I'd let her fire both and then she could pick the one that she shot the best with!

Happy Huntin'
Chuck White
USAF Retired, Life Member, NRA & NAHC
Don't matter what gun you use,
just get good with it!

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 03:40:49 AM »
Quote from: Chuck White
Right off-hand, I would suggest the 243!
In all honesty though; I'd let her fire both and then she could pick the one that she shot the best with.

I agree, the .243 is the one I would recommend the strongest...but if she shoots the .44 better and is more comfortable with it, well that counts for a lot....

Stay Safe. Happy Shooting/Hunting.  :D
"To me the rifle has always been the most romantic of all weapons, and of all rifles, the one I love the most is the rifle for big game." Jack O'Connor

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 05:25:30 AM »
I once had one of those old Ruger Semiauto carbines. I still to this day remember what I said after my first shooting session with it. "This thing roars like a cannon and kicks like a mule". I didn't keep it long and don't regret getting rid of it at all.

One more vote for the .243.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 10:18:52 AM »
jonr,

Graybeard said,
I once had one of those old Ruger Semiauto carbines. I still to this day remember what I said after my first shooting session with it. "This thing roars like a cannon and kicks like a mule". I didn't keep it long and don't regret getting rid of it at all.

One more vote for the .243.
I too had one and the only thing I would add to what Graybeard had to say is "the accuracy isn't what I was used to for hunting purposes.  Another vote for the .243.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline JPSaxMan

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2004, 12:51:29 PM »
I would also have to agree w/ the .243. A great beginner cartridge (trust me...the .44 mag kicks worse than a mule; if there is anything worse) and it'll kill a deer flatter than a .260 (SHOT PLACEMENT :wink: ). I hope you and your wife have a successful deer season. :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline SLAVAGE

• Trade Count: (21)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2004, 02:01:22 PM »
put me down for a 243 all so they day i got my ruger is the day i started regreating i dident buy one 10 years earlyer

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2004, 02:52:43 PM »
It would seem the .243 would be the better choice, but have your wife shoot a round or two through both before you decide. Could be that either or both has a glitch that make it tough for her to shoot. Length of pull is very important, and judge it with a hunting jacket on. She may just feel good or natural with one or the other. Don't assume she will like one just because it has lighter recoil, or is more accurate, or whatever. Women, especially, sometimes like things for sentimental reasons more than practical ones.

Good luck to both of you on your first season deer hunting together. It will produce memories that will last a lifetime. 8)
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2004, 03:40:53 PM »
The 44 does not kick much at all in the semi-auto rifle. What are you guys talking about? It is the perfect set up if you are hunting woods under 100yds. Those heavy, slow moving slugs are great in the woods and will put a deer down now. The only disadvantage is the range which is 125yds max.

The 243 is marginal at best as a deer cartridge. It is really an "experts" cartridge not a "beginners" cartridge due to its marginal energy and light bulllets.

If you must have a longer range, lower recoil, shorter gun, please do your wife a favor and consider th 7mm-08. There are several makes out there in a compact/youth design. This cartridge has little recoil and much better performance on deer than the 243 which is better suited to varmint hunting.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2004, 05:16:29 PM »
If you are limited to one of these 2 calibers, go with the 243 with nosler partitions.  I started my boys with this caliber and I disagree that it is only for "experts".  My boys learned to stay in the shot, pick the right spot and the deer never went more than 60 yds afterwards.  It is a very popular caliber with many hunters in this part of the country, guys that started with it when young and never saw the need to change.  Sure, both my boys have moved up in caliber now (7m-08 and 30-06) to give them increased opportunity with different shot angles, but the 243 was all they needed until they figured they were ready for a bigger bullet.  A light caliber usually makes a more accurate shooter in my experience.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline flintlock

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2004, 07:54:45 AM »
:-D  :-D Nice to know some of you guys think I'm an expert!!!  Although I have been recently been call ignorant and arrogant   :lol: Oh well, guess it depends on which way the wind is blowing...Jonr...I'm assuming by reading your post that you have both rifles on hand... I agree that both would be fine...let the wife decide, after she shoots....The .243 works fine on deer...in fact, when I watch all those hunting shows, I'm amazed that the deer don't drop on the spot...as thats what I'm used to seeing...My wife and daughters always cringe when the deer runs off, and then staggers and drops...if I were to be videoed for TV, I would make sure that the deer would drop at the shot, might loose a little shoulder meat...but it sure looks more humane....where I hunt we have extensive swamps (Dismal Swamp)...its hard to find a blood trail in water thats knee deep...so I just got used to taking a high lung, neck or high shoulder shot...Either 100gr Core Lokts, Hornadys or the Federal Nosler Partitions are good inside 200 yards...I have killed deer with all of them...and have used the same .243 since 1980....I have a couple of hunting buddies that used to use an '06....after hunting with me for about 8 yrs they both have switched to a .243...I have killed at least 125 deer with this gun...and have never had one get away...flintlock  :-)  (expert)...guess I should change my handle :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D

Offline willis5

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2004, 10:01:55 AM »
I agree with Huntenut. That 44 does NOT kick. at ten years old and small framed, I killed deer with it. I would say that it kicks like a 20ga semi-auto. I love that gun. Have her shoot both and see wich one she likes the best. at 100 yards i would take the 44 over that, I would go with the 243.
Cheers,
Willis5

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2004, 11:14:57 AM »
There is no question that the 243 will kill with a properly placed shot; so will a 22lr. However, for the novice deer hunter, it offers no margin of error and only minimally acceptable performance.

The 44 will kill any size deer much quicker and with much more versatile shot placement inside of 100yds which is what the poster says is his limit on range. The only advantage the 243 has over the 44 is over 125yds with its flatter trajectory, but at the expense of marginal performance at shorter range.

The 44 has much higher shock value and its heavy mass/slower speed makes it better suited to brush hunting should the odd twig or grass get in the way. That tiny, hypervelocity 243 will deflect for sure.

I own one of the original Deerstalkers and can tell you that the gun does not kick much at all. Anyone who says it kicks like a mule has never shot one. It also has the advantage of quick follow up shot should it be needed.

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2004, 11:18:01 AM »
Flintlock,

By your own statistics, you prove my point.

:-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2004, 12:26:11 PM »
.243....Great cal. for deer, especially for a beginner...Good Luck  :D
Good Luck, Be Safe, and God Bless  :D

Ephesians 2:8
--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2004, 12:49:16 PM »
I own one of the original Deerstalkers and can tell you that the gun does not kick much at all. Anyone who says it kicks like a mule has never shot one.

WRONG Oh.  :roll:

I owned one before over half the folks posting here were ever born. Long time ago. Back before I was a reloader even as I recall. Only shot some factory ammo in it. Don't recall now what. That sucker HURT me. I think I fired it the one box of ammo at most. As I recall my comment as stated after my first firing session with it was that it kicked like a mule and roared like a cannon. That much I still remember to this day.

Now my Marlin 336 in .44 Mag doesn't seem to kick nearly so badly as I recall that old Ruger kicking. At least it has never hurt me and the Ruger did. Those were long ago and more innocent days. Perhaps today I'd not think it so bad. Dunno.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2004, 01:14:25 PM »
GB, with all due respect, lets think about the physics here. You say your 44lever gun isn't so bad. The deerstalker and the deerfield are of similar weight, but use a gas operated semi auto action. All things being equal, the math says the Rugers will have a lower felt recoil than the lever gun.

I am also speaking of my experience with my own Deerstalker when I say the recoil is very mild, especially given the stopping power of the cartridge.

Surely you must admit that if we're talking under 100yds, the 44 has much better stopping/shock power than the 243?

Offline Grubbs

• Contributor
Wife's Gun
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2004, 05:20:04 AM »
I would suggest the 7mm-08 over the 243.  Low recoil and a little more versatile.  

Grubbs

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2004, 03:28:01 PM »
i have never fired the OLDER ruger 44 auto.  my buddy has the newer version, and it is a pussycat.   sweet little gun.  about half the recoil my 1894 in 44 mag has with the same ammo.  

the original post stated inside 100 yards.  my vote is for the 44.  

but huntsman hit the nail on the head.  let her shoot them and decide.  explain to her that the 44 will more likely put it down faster;  but the 243 will allow for a longer shot, if needed.  women think different than us and if yours is like mine, she wont like you "telling" her which she can use.  give her the choice.   good luck and happy hunting.

Offline TOMMYY01

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2004, 11:46:25 AM »
If you can, go  to the local gun dealer, and size up the tracker II 20 ga. Other than my stevens and the heavy j c higgins, I would opt for the tracker.  :toast:  Love that one of mine. I like a gun that has good knock down inside the woodline. just my 2 cents worth. She just might like a gun of her own, you know. :D  :D
                                                                               tommy
I like my trophies on my wall and in my belly