Author Topic: News for the old MarlinTalkers  (Read 1672 times)

Offline RIFLERANGER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
News for the old MarlinTalkers
« on: September 07, 2004, 05:42:34 AM »
I have done some homework, and with Larry from MarlinOwners' help, I am strongly considering launching MarlinChat.com.  I have reserved the name, but there will be some costs involved.
If anyone else is interested in donating to the cause and / or moderating, I will pursue it further.
This site, will be what I hope we all envisioned with MarlinTalk and nearly achieved with Marlinowners.
For the First Amendments sake, ALL topics will be open for discussion and debate, the ONLY rule I would have is that we treat each other with respect regardless of opinions, and that includes no personal attacks or name calling.
Any takers ???

Ranger
"HAVE YOU HUGGED YOUR RIFLES TODAY ?!"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 05:51:45 AM »
Is BM going to be there?
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 06:09:08 AM »
So is it time for me to shut down the Marlin forums here?

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 06:31:28 AM »
No I sincerely hope not Mr. GB. I asked for one reason, if BM were allowed there, I would not be there!!!....<><.... :wink:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline RIFLERANGER

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 06:48:24 AM »
BM is allowed here isn't he ?
And No, GB, I would say that was a premature statement.
I am putting out feelers to see if anybody thinks that they are missing something.
Ranger
"HAVE YOU HUGGED YOUR RIFLES TODAY ?!"

Offline PA-Joe

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2004, 07:46:35 AM »
What's wrong with:

http://www.marlinowners.com

Offline Steelbanger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2004, 11:13:35 AM »
It would be really nice if all the argumentative, name calling, misinterpreting non-shooters had their own site.

That would leave these good sites to the shooters who could then discuss matters logically. Call it     alloff180º.com
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, NRA Life

Marlin - a hard habit to break.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2004, 11:38:08 AM »
BM is allowed here isn't he ?

NO, actually he isn't. He long ago wore out his welcome even before Marlin shut down the MT site and you guys came here.

It really matters not in the least to me who opens up new sites. Heck I'll even give you some good advice and help myself just as I did Larry. Of course he didn't listen to me and you may not either. But when the time comes and BEFORE you spend money on a server contact me and at least listen to what I have to say on the subject.

I guess it does however strike me as strange what's going on with you Marlin guys. You say "generally at least" you all want to stay together. But in fact you've scattered to the four winds and opening up more sites is just scattering you more.

When MT shut down groups of you went to various sites like mine and many others and asked for "special forums" to be set up just for you rather than fitting into any site and what was already there. Many of us did as you requested and set up these special forums for you. On most sites I know of the activity on those new forums was so low it really was a waste of time to have them. Some dropped them. Some like me have left them even tho they are very lightly used.

Then Larry decides he needs to open a new site to bring ALL of you into one place. Well that didn't work either. He had less than 1000 registered members last I looked. I believe there were 14,000 + of you at MT. Now you're thinking of doing again what Larry has already done and set up one more site to pull you all together. Fine. I have absolutely no problem with it.

BUT from my experience in visiting forums for about 7-8 years now and owning one for darn nearly as long all you're gonna do is further divide the folks and lessen the chances of any one of the various places where old MT members are surviving. Now if you guys abandon these Marlin Forums I've set up it won't really matter to me. If some of you still use them you're still welcome to them also. I make no money on them and they really cost me none either so to me it just doesn't matter.

What I have seen tho is that the proliferation of new forums has really impacted old ones and also new ones. There really is only so many folks who are out there to visit them. Sure most folks visit more than one. But most folk's time is limited. They can only visit so many in a day. So they tend to develop favorites and only go there. I've seen many of the truly big old sites close since I opened mine.

When I first got online back in early '97 or so there was a site called SPAV which "may" still exist that was one of the really big ones. Last I looked it hardly had any activity and may now be gone. All Outdoors Coffeeshop was a true monster in size. It too is history. Josh's Hunt Info was another of the really huge well used sites. It appears on it's last legs and hardly anyone visits and posts anymore. At one time he and one other guy fully made their living from that site. I've seen hundreds of small sites pop up and fade in this time for a variety of reasons.

Trust me owning and maintaining a web site like this is a serious pain in the you know where. It is a thank less job and you bear all the burden of costs. At one time before I went to a dedicated server those costs were eating me alive. Some years I lost money and some years I broke even. Now my costs are fixed and while high at least I know they aren't going to rise on me.

I've watched many sites whose owners claimed to need huge amounts of money to keep them running and the loyal fans of it dutifuly tossed money their way. I don't know of a single one of them who have been honest with the members regarding costs. I know of one who demands his members each year front him a mimimum of $2500 for a dedicated server. That site has more advertising revenue than any other I know of. I have the largest server package I'm aware of on the second largest web hosting company in the US. I pay less than $1000 per year to be hosted. For that I get 1000 gigs of monthly data transfer, 80 gigs of hard drive space and a guarantee of 99.9% up time. Any site owner spending more on a server is wasting money, or lying to their members.

So back on subject. From the 14,000 registered members of MT I'm thinking maybe 1500 Marlin guys came here initially. Now I doubt 200 of you use the forums you asked for. Larry has maybe 1000 registered. Where are the 14,000? Beats me. I've looked at the various major forum sites I'm aware of and sure haven't seen the influx. I think 12,000 of them are a vapor and have disappeared never to be seen again. You guys are never gonna ALL be together again.

If you really want to "be together" then those who feel that way just need to communicate and decide among yourselves which place to go. Then do it. Here, at Marlin Owners or anywhere else you chose. But setting up another ain't gonna be the magic wand you expect it to be. Ask Larry. Running a more or less wide open site as you think you want is a sure fire kiss of death. You really can't. No server company I know of will allow it. If you try sooner or later you are gonna come to their attention as violating their rules and you'll be homeless in a heart beat. Why do you think most of us have the rules we have? Because all legimate server sites have basically the same rules that apply to us as site owners.

So have at it. Call on me if you wish. I'll help if I can. But in less than one year you will find you've made a mistake and that it hasn't become what you'd hoped. You'll be out some money and will have gotten so disgusted with the idea you'll wish you'd never even bought your first computer. Oh yeah, been there done that. That's the voice of experience speaking.

GBO has lasted since late '97 and we're still growing faster than most any other site of similar nature I know of. Believe me not without daily headaches. Were it not for you guys who moderate the various forums taking a huge part of the burden off me it wouldnt' exist. We've had minor flare ups and had small groups leave always predicting the end of GBO at their departure. In spite of it we continue to grow. Why?

I think because of the very think many of you are wanting to set up another forum to avoid. Moderators and rules. Decent folks want some semblance of order. They don't want caos and anarchy. They don't want personal attacks, they don't want name calling, they don't want cussing and other things some call "freedom of speech". They want a nice clean site where they can feel free to allow their children and wives to visit and not worry about what they will see or read. That's what GBO stands for and why in my opinion it continues to grow at the rate it does.

Off soap box. Next up.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2004, 11:44:43 AM »
It would be really nice if all the argumentative, name calling, misinterpreting non-shooters had their own site.

Actually they do. It is called Accurate Reloading or AR as I most often refer to it. GBO and all it stands for is hated there with passion. Many of the exiles from GBO have found a new home there where they can feel free to bash GBO, me and all who post here. The funny thing is nearly 75% of those who bash GBO so badly there still post here and even more of them use my Classifieds.  :-D  And what's even more funny is they think I don't know.  :eek:

The site is based in Dubia, UAR and owned by an Arab. So the rules normally associated with servers based in the US don't apply to them. Earlier this year say back in the January-February time frame their registered membership was almost 4000 more than GBO. Last time I looked they were 700 members ahead in registeration. Yet often they speak of the almost sure and certain demise of GBO for the rules I enforce. I love it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline tubbythetuba

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2004, 03:08:43 PM »
Rifleranger, I'd say that if MOs.com does not fold, one more would not do very well. Maybe you have noticed the "new feature" at MO. I lurk and post a little here as well  MO and 3 or 4 other boards. They are all different.  It took a false start or two, but I modified my "Military Mouth" and adopted a civil one and I find that it's more challanging to tell someone they are full of it and not ruffle any feathers :-D  Bill is right; we are spreading out too much.
That Sound You Hear In The Woods While Hunting  Is Deer Laughing

Offline Nightrain52

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2004, 05:23:41 PM »
I have visited other sites myself at times but I like this one the best. Graybeard took us in with open arms and all he asks in return is that we act like adults and be civil to one another. If something does flare up the moderators are on top of it pretty quick before it deteriorates into an all out flame session. I have seen the results of a wide open forum and eventually things just don't work.  :D
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS

Offline LittleWill

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2004, 05:39:06 PM »
The problem is enormous egos run wild. You will at some point  have to control the childish and selfish behavior of a few willful adults.  Who know the effects of their destructive behavior, but fain ignorance.

They know about rights but are strangely vague on the attendant responsibilities.

You must have effective measures in place. If not you will see the board disintegrate despite you best efforts. While those that brought it about will walk  through the ruins of your hard work.

Please excuse the use of a bad metaphor.

An unmoderated board is like a food plot to deer. Build it and they will come.

Good luck no matter what course you choose.

LittleWill

Offline FWiedner

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2004, 06:06:33 PM »
Quote from: LittleWill
The problem is enormous egos run wild. You will at some point  have to control the childish and selfish behavior of a few willful adults.  Who know the effects of their destructive behavior, but fain ignorance.

They know about rights but are strangely vague on the attendant responsibilities.

You must have effective measures in place. If not you will see the board disintegrate despite you best efforts. While those that brought it about will walk  through the ruins of your hard work.

LittleWill

Good points.

Any attempt at levity or humor must be crushed immediately, before it infects the area and spreads, like a stinking fungus.

IP addresses should be recorded and monitored, and agents dispatched to eliminate those who would contaminate purity of thought or intention with their filthy "opinions".

Strict rules and swift discipline are the only way to prevent or negate the proliferation of these unwanted ideas and undesirable personalities.

Nothing is more dangerous than unsupervised thought.

Individualism must be seen, by any rational person, as nothing less than a disease.
They may talk of a "New Order" in the  world, but what they have in mind is only a revival of the oldest and worst tyranny.   No liberty, no religion, no hope.   It is an unholy alliance of power and pelf to dominate and to enslave the human race.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2004, 06:12:10 PM »
FWiedner, if you're so unhappy here and feel so put out by my simple rules why do you hang around?

For the record I actually encourage levity and humor on most all forums. Thinly veiled personal attacks are a completely different matter. Pretending they are humor isn't a cover.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline NYH1

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2004, 06:18:34 PM »
Quote from: Graybeard
FWiedner, if you're so unhappy here and feel so put out by my simple rules why do you hang around?

I knew that was coming! :-D  :grin:  :)
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2004, 02:05:17 AM »

:roll: Dali Llama say please pardon, but Dali believe there be more than one bad metaphor employed in post of LittleWill.
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2004, 02:12:04 AM »
Quote from: FWiedner

LittleWill

Good points.

Any attempt at levity or humor must be crushed immediately, before it infects the area and spreads, like a stinking fungus.

IP addresses should be recorded and monitored, and agents dispatched to eliminate those who would contaminate purity of thought or intention with their filthy "opinions".

Strict rules and swift discipline are the only way to prevent or negate the proliferation of these unwanted ideas and undesirable personalities.

Nothing is more dangerous than unsupervised thought.

Individualism must be seen, by any rational person, as nothing less than a disease.

Offline tubbythetuba

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2004, 03:10:03 AM »
:evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

Before suggesting ANY American politician is a Nazi, I would suggest a review of German/World history. Rules prevent me from replying in a mannor beffiting that picture :evil:  :evil:  :evil:
That Sound You Hear In The Woods While Hunting  Is Deer Laughing

Online magooch

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2004, 03:42:06 AM »
I want to thank Bill for being patient and tolorant and I hope this forum will endure.  I hope everyone will stick together and make a go of it.  There are plenty of places where you can go and make a fool of yourself.   I hope we can keep this one for at least semi-civil discourse.  Friendly disagreements add a little spice; you just have to know where the line is and try not to cross it.
Swingem

Offline NYH1

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2004, 04:22:47 AM »
Quote from: MSP Ret
Is BM going to be there?

Who's BM ?
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline IntrepidWizard

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2004, 04:31:10 AM »
New York Hunter[a oxymoron],BM as you know and propagate put the above atrocious picture up.
Government is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force! Like fire, it is
a dangerous servant and a fearful master. -- George Washington

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2004, 06:00:41 AM »
Dali, That pic was Poor attempt at humor!  :x  As a Gun owner Bush is the only choice we have  to keep our gun rights. Kerry is pretending to be a gun owner but cannot even hold a gun proper even though he can shoot one evidently. To  post a pic  of him Bush s a nazi from some dang liberal site should be beyond any gun owner! I am not impressed at all!  :x  :x  :x
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2004, 06:43:01 AM »
Well I see Dali's back.

Dali I'm gonna dump the photo. I just think it totally out of place and disrespectful to the Office of President of the US as well as to the man currently holding that office which I personally feel deserves more respect. He sure isn't perfect and has made what in my opinion are some bad decisions on a few issues but wow he is so much better than what we ALMOST had that I'll have to forgive him a few mistakes.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline FWiedner

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2004, 06:51:50 AM »

For the record I actually encourage levity and humor on most all forums. Thinly veiled personal attacks are a completely different matter. Pretending they are humor isn't a cover.

Mr. Graybeard, I didn't criticize your rules, and I didn't attack any member of this forum, overtly, covertly, veiled, un-veiled or otherwise.

I was just trying to be "one of the boys", you know, get in the spirit of the moderating game, controlling other peoples every thought and action and all that.

Don't you see ANY humor in stretching the application of rules to a linear, yet extreme point?

Didn't mean to make any of my poking fun at the theme of the conversation seem personal.  I was just adding my .02.
They may talk of a "New Order" in the  world, but what they have in mind is only a revival of the oldest and worst tyranny.   No liberty, no religion, no hope.   It is an unholy alliance of power and pelf to dominate and to enslave the human race.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2004, 08:07:29 AM »
Mr. Graybeard, I didn't criticize your rules, and I didn't attack any member of this forum, overtly, covertly, veiled, un-veiled or otherwise.

I was just trying to be "one of the boys", you know, get in the spirit of the moderating game, controlling other peoples every thought and action and all that.

Don't you see ANY humor in stretching the application of rules to a linear, yet extreme point?

Hmm, No I guess honestly I don't.

Didn't mean to make any of my poking fun at the theme of the conversation seem personal. I was just adding my .02.

I hear ya. My comments weren't intended to try to run you off. Of late you've been sticking to the rules pretty well. Your comments just made it sound to me like you sure are unhappy here and so I merely asked if you were so unhappy why hang around. I personally try to avoid places that make me uncomfortable for whatever reason. In spite of the preferences of some you're as welcome as anyone so long as you follow the rules which as I said you seem to be doing recently. Heck I've even agreed with some of your posts and supported your positions.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Major

• A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2004, 08:38:05 AM »
I too have agreed with FWiedner a few times, not often but a few times.   I think that for the most part he is just one of those folks that looks at the negative side of things.   HeÂ’s not necessarily unhappy here but just sees things from a different angle than most.   I will admit that he has made me stop and think a few times, but then others have too.   I for one welcome those that can make me think, as long as they can keep in civil.
Deactivated as trouble maker

Offline Steelbanger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Contributor
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2004, 11:40:24 AM »
Graybeard,

I'm with you on that disrespectful photo posted today. I couldn't believe I was seeing that and am pleased to see it's gone.

I almost jumped into this today but am so glad you did instead. Being too close to the old pot bellied stove really got me hot!
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, NRA Life

Marlin - a hard habit to break.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2004, 12:17:38 PM »
Well I see Dali's back.

Dali I'm gonna dump the photo. I just think it totally out of place and disrespectful to the Office of President of the US as well as to the man currently holding that office which I personally feel deserves more respect.
Dali Llama say he merely post picture in attempt to add humorous refrain to preceeding Nazi-like commentary by FWiedner to which he attach it. :D

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2004, 12:31:45 PM »
Quote from: IntrepidWizard
New York Hunter[a oxymoron],BM as you know and propagate put the above atrocious picture up.
Dali Llama say he understand that "BM" be Big Mortie of MarlinOwner fame??? :?

Offline IntrepidWizard

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2004, 12:37:20 PM »
NO, actually he isn't. He long ago wore out his welcome even before Marlin shut down the MT site and you guys came here. Greybeard wrote this above,but evidently it does no apply.
Government is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force! Like fire, it is
a dangerous servant and a fearful master. -- George Washington