Author Topic: Glock vs 1911  (Read 692 times)

Offline DelGue

• Trade Count: (0)
Glock vs 1911
« on: September 08, 2004, 04:11:31 PM »
Glock vs 1911

I can't quite make up my mind which would be the best in a self-defense type situation.  

In November, I'm going to "Front Sight" for a 4 day combat shoot.... I believe they lean toward the Glock (of which I have a few), but I have some really nice Kimbers too.

FYI, I have a lot of experience with the Beretta 92.  But I've recently found the 1911s/Glocks.  A whole new world for me....

Honestly, I'm an Ol' Revolver Guy!  

Any input would be appreciated.
Del Gue

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
Glock vs 1911
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2004, 12:31:32 AM »
Take'em all.  Sounds like an excellent time for you to personally evaluate which works best for you.
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline strider72

• Avid Poster
Glock vs 1911
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 03:38:04 PM »
Have to agree. THe Kimbers are excellent and so are the Glocks. Kimbers generally are more accurate though.

Offline RKBAHolsters

Glock vs 1911
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2004, 08:43:52 AM »
For me, I'm starting to think Glock is better for CCW type work.

Then a, 1911 or a traditional DA/SA is better for a home defense weapon.

I just don't want to think about safeties when confronting with a quick life or death situation, but want a safety or heavier trigger pull when awaken out of a deep sleep at 3AM.

Like the others said take them both and figure out what works for you.

Steve

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Glock vs 1911
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2004, 10:07:51 AM »
I’m not a Glock fan mainly because I don’t care for polymer framed guns. Even plastic or composite triggers and polymer mainspring housings found on many 1911’s these days drive me nuts. However no one can deny their loyal following. They are light, accurate, durable and are probably the simplest semi-auto gun to operate, point and shoot, which are sought after attributes for a CCW.

If you are not willing to spend the time to condition yourself to the point that operating a 1911 would be second nature then the Glock would be best for you. If someone is not willing to spend the time it would take to condition themselves for the use of a 1911 then they probably don’t need to be carrying in a public anyway. In other words a "simple to manipulate" gun does not make up for lack of range time.

Be Safe,
Scott

Offline Savage

Glock vs 1911
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2004, 03:42:32 AM »
I own Glocks and Kimbers. I carry and shoot both frequently. The 1911s point more naturally for me. The manipulation of the safety in done without conscious thought as part of the presentation of the pistol. For precision work the 1911 wins hands down. My Glock 21 carries 14rds of .45 vs the 1911's 9rds. There are times that might be an advantage. I'd have to agree with ButlerFord45 and take both. Always good to have a spare pistol when you're planning on shooting a 1000rds a day.Only real problem I see with that is the difference in the manual of arms between the two pistol types. Perhaps you should make that decision before attending the class, then carry a spare of the same action type. Enjoy your class!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Dave in WV

Glock vs 1911
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2004, 04:26:45 AM »
ButlerFord45 has a good suggestion so you can see which one you do the best with. IMHO Glocks are more compatable training wise with a 1911 or single actions than traditional double actions.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Somerled

• Avid Poster
Glock vs 1911
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2004, 11:28:25 AM »
Take what you carry. Train with what you carry. If you haven't made your mind up yet what you're going to carry, then maybe your time at Front Sight will help you decide.

I've seen people train with a 1911 or a Glock which is usually at home in a safe or locked in the car while they carry a little gun they may have fired once or twice at the range. Using a firearm in self defense is not a time to break new ground.

If you're more comfortable with a revolver, take it. What works for a majority of folks (well--what they say works for them) may not work for you.
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
President Theodore Roosevelt, San Francisco, Calif., May 13, 1903