Author Topic: How many people wear hearing protection while hunting?  (Read 914 times)

Offline tominboise

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
How many people wear hearing protection while hunting?
« on: September 08, 2004, 05:13:06 PM »
I just ordered and recieved some electronic ear plugs I plan on wearing while huning.  THey amplify sound up to 5 times, and also cutout over a limit to protect ears against gun shots.  I can testify that they do amplify all right.  I haven't shot with them yet.

What do you guys do?
Regards,

Tom

Offline Dave in WV

How many people wear hearing protection whi
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2004, 02:54:12 AM »
Tom, I only wear hearing protection while hunting with centerfire handguns. I always use hearing protection at the range with all firearms.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2004, 01:47:44 PM »
What brand did you buy? I was going to order some Woodland Whisper's from Bass Pro Shops but was told that the catalog was in error when it said there was a suppression circuit to avoid amplifying gunshot noise. Needless to say I didn't order them.

I've been trying to get some samples from Walker's Game ear for awhile now but haven't made contact with Bob Walker yet and no one else will discuss it with me.

I do not wear protection when hunting but try to get plugs in before the shot when I can. Usually this is possible but not always.

I always wear protection on the range.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2004, 04:46:24 PM »
Always wear em on the range, but never while hunting.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline tominboise

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2004, 05:16:35 PM »
They are the "sport ear" as sold thru Dillon Precision.  I haven't shot centerfire rifle or pistol with them yet, but can testify as to their ampification effectiveness - for example, I can now hear the primer seating into the primer pocket, and bottoming out, as well as feel it.  Also, crickets and such in the back yard, and traffic a ways off - all sounds that I haven't picked up much in quite some time.  The amplification is adjustable as required, from 0 to 5 times or so.

As far as the blocking function, I shot my 22 pistol in my basement range with them, using super colibri, and they blocked that.  Also, I had my 7 year old son scream as loud as he can, while we were in the hallway, and they cut that out....I might start wearing them all the time.... :wink:
Regards,

Tom

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2004, 02:41:59 AM »
Graybeard, I saw them too and was thinking about ordering them but the price seamed to good to be true. I did a little checking and called the company, they called me back very fast and was very adamant about not using them with firearms.

Right now I am saving up for a set of  Pro ears stalker Dimension 2 ( the ones you can hook  up to a CD player or sport radio)

What I do now is:
I got a normal set of hearing muffs painted them O.D. when I am in my stand I put them just above my head on a hook. when I see the deer I will slide them on and grab the handgun in the same movement.

Offline The Pistoleer

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2004, 05:19:17 AM »
I just posted this on the "Product General Discussion" Forum.

I have decided to get some and was wondering if anyone had any experince with them.  I will mostly use them for gun hunting.  I want some that will amplify the sound since my hearing is pretty bad.

What features should I look for and compare when looking?

I see that Pro-Ears has 2 types.  The Dimension 1 and the Dimension 2.  The Dem 2s have a input jack which allows the plugging in of a radio.  My sons and I do keep in touch by FRS radios so that might be a good feature.  Is this needed?

Any help will be appreciated.
Pete

NRA Endowment Life

Be Safe,Have fun

Offline rickyp

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2004, 12:23:56 PM »
a few weeks ago I ordered a set of pro ears stalker D-2 from cabellas.

When I got them I could hear a little hisssss in both ears not real bad but noticeable. I sent them an email with in 24 hours they emailed me back ( i sent several emails before I bought them asking questions) the where very good the tech gave me his number and asked me to call him to talk about the hisss. I ended up sending them back and now waiting for them to get back to me. they where sent out Thursday so they should be at my door Monday or Tuesday.

The tech told me the hiss i was hearing was normal white noise but replaced both mics for me. then told me how to adjust them for me.

So far they have been great with  working with me.

they have several versions the stalker what I got and pro-hunter. the stalker has the ear cups cut in so they will be better when used with a long gun.

You can shoot me an email if you want more information.

Graybeard you may want to try and contact this person and see what he can do for you.

Offline .270

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2005, 09:45:00 PM »
i never use ear plugs while hunting. while hunting in open areas i find no need for them. that bing said if your in a closed it space say a tree stand they might not be a bad idea.

Offline rickyp

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2005, 05:18:30 PM »
Quote from: .270
i never use ear plugs while hunting. while hunting in open areas i find no need for them. .

You can do as you wish, I have done this for many years my self. I get a hearing test done every year and I have seen my hearing go down almost every year. It has always been a small bit but they are able to see it. I started using normal muffs a few years ago and now I got the Pro-ears. my hearing has stayed the same since I started using the muffs.

My hearing is to important for me to loose

Offline msorenso

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2005, 04:34:58 AM »
NEVER HUNTED WITH EAR PROTECTION BUT ALWAYS AT THE RANGE JUST BECAUSE IT AMPLIFIES IF SO MUCH WITHIN THE OVERHANG. :D
LIVE FREE OR DIE

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2005, 12:14:53 PM »
I wear Walker's Game Ear II's(in both ears) when hunting and Walker's Quad Muffs when at the range or any time I am target shooting.  Doesn't matter whether or not I am shooting a rifle or handgun.  After 30+ years as an LEO and hunting/shooting all my life I now have a permanent 15% average hearing loss in both ears.  What a difference while hunting wearing the Walker’s.  I had forgotten just how much noise a squirrel makes eating nuts.  They make hearing a tom turkey coming in to your calls easy.  Since getting the Game Ears I have only one regret, That I didn’t get them sooner.  When it comes to your hearing you can’t put a price tag on it.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.