Author Topic: Nosler Solid Base BT?  (Read 1061 times)

Offline ORsouthpaw

• Trade Count: (0)
Nosler Solid Base BT?
« on: September 09, 2004, 11:56:29 AM »
I just picked up some Federal Premium ammo w/ Nosler Solid base BT's 165gr. Has anyone had any experience with round in a .300 Win Mag or similar. I'll be using this round to both Mule Deer and Elk. I know that the 180gr Partition are the preferred round but the sporting goods store was out and these were 7 dollars cheaper per box. Any feedback is appreciated. Thx
Left is Right

Offline Elwood

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Nosler Solid Base BT?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2004, 05:04:47 AM »
165 grain ballistic tips are a fine deer bullet at standard velocities. From a 300 magnum they are a fine long range deer bullet but, at closer ranges the increased velocity causes them to open very dramatically. This results in a shallow wound. A friend of mine took a 7mm mag loaded with 140 grain BTs to Colorado on a mule deer, elk combo hunt. He hit a 4x4 mule deer directly in the shoulder at 75 yds with no results, his friend knocked it down with his 300 mag. When they field dressed him the guide showed them the 7mm NBT wound it blew up before it reached the shoulder blade and failed to break through!
   How often do you get the chance to shoot a elk? Isnt it worth it to use the right bullet even if you have to spend a few extra bucks and search for a box.  180 grain partitions, bonded core bullets, failsafe, A-frame, bear claw, and my personal favorite X bullets are all great elk bullets. 165 grain ballistic tips are not elk bullets.

Elwood P. Dowd
Vae Victis

Offline Lawdog

Nosler Solid Base BT?
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2004, 11:37:05 AM »
ORsouthpaw,

According to the technicians at Nosler the Ballistic Tips were designed for velocities up to 2,850 fps.  On deer size targets at closer ranges(under 175 or so yards) the Ballistic Tips tend to fragment and not completely penetrate.  They also do tremendous damage to meat.  You need 165 gr. Nosler Partitions instead of Ballistic Tips in your .300 Win. Mag..  Small groups and tight lines to you.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline 147 Grain

• Avid Poster
Nosler Solid Base BT?
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 01:55:26 PM »
I too would like to hear how Nosler Solid Base bullets have performed on Big Game.

Could some of you shooters please be specific with the details if possible and thanks in advance of your reply!

Steve
45 ACP 230-gr. Double Tap Gold Dot = 1,010 fps / 15.3" & .95"    :D

Aim for the Triangle Area between armpits & throat.

Offline Lawdog

Nosler Solid Base BT?
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 10:15:16 AM »
Quote from: 147 Grain
I too would like to hear how Nosler Solid Base bullets have performed on Big Game.

Could some of you shooters please be specific with the details if possible and thanks in advance of your reply!

Steve

Back when Nosler first came out with the Ballistic Tip bullets I was using nothing but their Partitions for big game hunting I all my rifles.  When I saw the ads for the new Ballistic Tips they looked like just the ticket.  I sent off an order for my two favorite calibers - .257 & .308.  Loaded up the 115 gr. bullets in my .25-06 and .257 Weatherby and the 165 gr. .308 in my .30-06 and .300 Weatherby.  Accuracy was better than the Partitions.  Couldn't hardly wait for deer season to try them out.  Performance on game is where they showed their weakness.  First deer I shot was a nice 3x4 point Mule Deer at around 175 yards with my .257 Weatherby.  The bullet fragmented on contact with the rib upon entering.  Only one small fragment pierced one lung letting the buck take off for parts unknown.  The second shot, thru the neck, dropped the buck just as he was going over the ridge.

I had this happen to five different bucks in three states with the above mentioned cartridges.  I contacted Nosler to complain and that was when I was told that the Ballistic Tip wasn’t designed to work at “magnum” velocities(2,900 fps).  I shot an Antelope shot at 160 yards with my .25-06 and ended up loosing a whole front shoulder due to the bullet “blowing up” on the blade.  Required another shot that left a mess of the ribs.  Ballistic Tips are way too fragile to be used on any kind of dangerous game.  I see no reason to load one bullet for deer and another for bear/wild boar, etc.  If your cartridge has less than 2,900 fps. then Ballistic Tips may work fine.  Personally I think it’s a crap shoot and I don’t gamble when it comes to hunting.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Nosler Solid Base BT?
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 11:46:21 AM »
The Ballistic Tip and Solid Base are NOT the same bullet. Check out the Nosler website for more details. Nosler discontinued the Solid Base for the most part when they made the BT but it is now back in the line up and is being made in many variations.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!