Author Topic: New barrel for short range elk  (Read 2287 times)

Offline Leftoverdj

• Trade Count: (0)
New barrel for short range elk
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2004, 05:43:44 PM »
The problem with the .450 is that it's dying. Ten years from now you may not be able to get ammo. That ain't gonna be a problem with the .45-70 which would be your best choice in the NEF line.

If you can wait, Remington is scheduled to be doing a run of 7600s in .35 Whelen. That would be the best choice for the hunting you describe by a mile. No need to worry about that ammo going away either. Even if the factories discontinue it, it shares the .30-06 case and any of the custom loaders can always do you a batch
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2004, 06:27:31 PM »
Recoil is no where near the 300 gr. Win. 4570 loads off the bench.

Dichdigger
I have to respectfully disagree on that point.  My factory loads for my BC were over 1800fps with 300gr loads and there were not as harsh as my factory 30-06 165gr loads.  The '06 had a recoil pad and the BC did not.  The 405 loads were about equal to the '06.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline 300winman

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2004, 09:33:46 PM »
Am I reading it wrong, on the barrel accessory page the 45/70 only comes in open sights. I have a leupold 1.5-5x20 that I would want mounted on what ever barrel I get. The 450 comes with a scope rail. If I were to go with the 45/70 how would I go about mounting a scope? Will NEF accept special requests and how much extra will it cost?
Big Guns get''''r done!!!!

Offline dawei

• Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2004, 10:25:58 PM »
Quote from: quickdtoo

On page 16 of the 2004 Big Game rules...

1. Modern Firearm Regulations
Shotguns-Deer, bear, and cougar may be hunted with 20 gauge to 10 gauge shotguns shooting slugs or #1 or larger buckshot. Other big game may be hunted with a 10 gauge or 12 gauge shotgun using slugs.

Thanks; that's what I meant. Every year I see guys hunting elk with SHOTGUNS near Delizine Creek in GMU 660 (Minot Peak). The area IS OPEN for Modern Firearm Elk hunting; BUT it's a FIREARM RESTRICTED AREA.

Offline oneshotonekill

• Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2004, 01:47:47 AM »
Quote from: 300winman
Am I reading it wrong, on the barrel accessory page the 45/70 only comes in open sights. I have a leupold 1.5-5x20 that I would want mounted on what ever barrel I get. The 450 comes with a scope rail. If I were to go with the 45/70 how would I go about mounting a scope? Will NEF accept special requests and how much extra will it cost?

The 45-70 barrel will be drilled/tapped for a scope rail.  You can get one from H&R when ordering the barrel (I believe they are $17 now) or you can use a weaver 82 one piece base.  If you order the base when ordering the barrel H&R will install it if you ask them to.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2004, 05:03:19 AM »
Quote from: 300winman

I just got .45-70 barrel, ordered it without sights, but with a scope base. It came with filler screws in the holes where the sights would be mounted. There was no extra charge for the scope base. I decided if I wanted sights on it, they would need to be fiber optic front and a peep rear sight, but prefer a scope for my old eyes. On the barrel order form, under description, I put 45/70 Gov't 22" w/scope base, no sights.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2004, 07:16:13 AM »
Handi; Off the bench my 45 70 will leave me black and blue after 20 rds., the 280 is a pure pleasure to shoot,no matter how much I shoot. I may be just my 4570 barrell ,but my 300 Wby. does not leave me sore and black after 20 or 30 rds.
The funny thing is that I've loaded 405 gr. bullets to 1800 fps and they are not as brutal as the 300 gr factory loads.  Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2004, 07:37:40 AM »
:wink: , D-digger, sounds to me as if you must have gotten one of those defective "hard recoiling" 45-70's I have heard some speak of, I haven't fired one myself but have heard of them. Luckily mine shoots sweet. Being the great humanitarian I am I am offering to take it off your hands, cheaply of course. This is of course to prevent any further pain or injury to your shoulder. And no you don't have to pay or even thank me for this act of kindness, I'll even pay the shipping and give you a couple of bucks for your time. Your friend, MSP Ret....<><....  :-D
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2004, 08:52:08 AM »
Msp; I thank you for being so generous,but after you shot it a few times I'm afraid you would hunt me down and shoot me with it.  Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline gstanfield

« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2004, 09:29:11 AM »
I'm not sure which 45-70's ya'll have, but I do know the standard model with the plastic stock and short barrel kicks a lot worse than the Buffalo classic. The extra weight of the BC helps a lot to soften the blow of that big boy.

George
I Peter 2:17 Respect all people, Love the brotherhood, fear God, honor the King.

Offline Mitch in MI

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2004, 11:54:03 AM »
Quote from: oneshotonekill
If you order the base when ordering the barrel H&R will install it if you ask them to.

I don't know if the factory would be willing to credit you for the sights if you don't want them, but you should be able to sell a new set of sights here for what you pay for the scope base & hammer extension.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2004, 01:31:12 PM »
Quote from: Mitch in MI
Quote from: oneshotonekill
If you order the base when ordering the barrel H&R will install it if you ask them to.

I don't know if the factory would be willing to credit you for the sights if you don't want them, but you should be able to sell a new set of sights here for what you pay for the scope base & hammer extension.

Mine came as requested, base mounted and with a hammer extension, no extra charge. The base screws had been loctited, even! None of my other barrels had loctite on the base screws.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Leftoverdj

« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2004, 08:53:45 PM »
Practice.  I thought my synthetic stocked .45-70 was a kicker when I first got it and ten rounds from the bench was plenty. Now I shoot 50 rounds of 405 grain factory equivalent in an afternoon and never notice the recoil.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2004, 09:19:37 PM »
At first my BC was a "real" suprise, but as timw wore on i got used to it. The big bullet makes it a hard shove as opposed the the swift kick of the '06.  With pads, I say about equal but different type of kick.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2004, 05:07:26 AM »
Well it would appear that there is a differance of opinion concerning felt recoil with the 45-70.  Well I guess it depends on the model you have, and what kind of recoil reduction pad your Handi-Rifle sports.  The BC is very easy to fix by adding weight to the stock bolt hole.

Or you could buy a recoil reduction harness for about $20.00 at Wal-Mart  :grin:

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2004, 08:23:10 AM »
I had a 45-70 barrel put on my Ultra, and specified a scope rail also.

Mine kicked the bejeebers out of me with the 300 grain JHP loads, but when I went to the 405 grain cast loads, it isn't nearly as bad.  I also added weight to the buttstock.  

This is a great caliber, and an all around fun gun to shoot.  I can't wait to hunt with it this year.
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline JPH45

« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2004, 01:59:44 PM »
MSP Ret, My wrong, appologies, posted in a bit of haste, got handles confused, Sorry. JP
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2004, 02:22:10 PM »
JPH45, Thanks for that response and I appreciate it. I think we both agree on the 45-70's capabilities....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley