Author Topic: buying my first scope  (Read 727 times)

Offline kevin.303

• Trade Count: (1)
buying my first scope
« on: September 17, 2004, 03:02:49 PM »
and my choices are the bushnell sportsmen series 3-9 varibles. the local shop has the 40mm models on sale for $69.99 and the 32mm models regular for $67.99 which is better and why does the 40mm version regularly cost $20 more?
" oh we didn't sink the bismarck, and we didn't fight at all, we spent our time in Norfolk and we really had a ball. chasing after women while our ship was overhauled, living it up on grapefruit juice and sick bay alcohol"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
buying my first scope
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2004, 03:41:06 PM »
The bigger the glass, the more it's gonna cost. That price doesn't sound like a bargain on the 32mm.

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/721398/bushnell_sportsman_3-9x32.htm

http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/sc/from-bizrate.asp?id=964588491
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: buying my first scope
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2004, 03:50:41 PM »
Quote from: kevin.303
which is better and why does the 40mm version regularly cost $20 more?

Why does the 40mm cost more? I have asked myself this question a thousand times over and never came up with a logical explanation....Just is...there is not even close to $20.00 difference in material....more like 20  :money:

Which is better out of a 32mm and 40mm? Usually I would say 3x-9x 40mm without even thinking about it, but since it will be your first scope I am not so quick to recommend a 40mm over a 32mm....the reason I say this is because, for all your life you have been used to looking down a barrel at iron sights...making the transition from eye down the tube to eye 2" over tube may present a problem for you at first, such as target acquisition and overall comfort...a 32mm scope should sit well in low mounts as a 40mm will more than likely require medium rings, there is only 1/8" difference between low and medium rings but that 1/8" will be a huge difference when you are used to open sights...

If I was you I would take the rifle with me to the shop and try both scopes in low and medium rings and then choose depending on your own comfort.
If you are comfortable with the 40mm get it without thinking about it.

What rifle is going to have the pleasure of wearing your first scope???

Good Luck. Stay Safe. Happy Hunting and Shooting.  :D
"To me the rifle has always been the most romantic of all weapons, and of all rifles, the one I love the most is the rifle for big game." Jack O'Connor

Offline kevin.303

buying my first scope
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2004, 04:40:35 PM »
actually i have shot scopes before. i had a P & H .303 that came with a vintage K4. it was a pleasure to shoot but this will be my first time buying one. 7magwoodsman, remember thats in CDN $. i might also order a simmons or BSA from cabelas. might help if i say exactly what i want it for. hunting and plinking on a .303 out to 200 yards, normal light conditions. the fact is i think the iron sights are screwed up, but thats only because i can't bring my self to admit i'm a bad shot with open sights.
" oh we didn't sink the bismarck, and we didn't fight at all, we spent our time in Norfolk and we really had a ball. chasing after women while our ship was overhauled, living it up on grapefruit juice and sick bay alcohol"

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
buying my first scope
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2004, 09:11:53 PM »
7magwoodsman, remember thats in CDN $.

Sorry but I am not the one that recommended for you to buy somewhere else, although I did wonder how much extra the shipping would cost and thought to myself whether it would be the cheaper route for you or not...I knew you where from Canada because I remembered a discussion about Wolf pelts selling for quite a large chunk of change  :grin: plus it says Winnipeg, Manitoba right under the picture of the Caribou :)  BTW Have you seen any Wolf?

I have shot scopes before. I want it for hunting and plinking on a .303 out to 200 yards, normal light conditions.

To me "normal light conditions" means 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 after sunset so myself I would get the 40mm...A good 40mm will keep you out in the field just as long as any larger scope, and snags less branches too...to be honest though, a good 32mm transmits light very well also, and the slightly smaller field of view will keep your target area a little smaller, some people prefer this, others don't...I like a 32mm for plinking myself.

If you do decide to get a 32mm scope, I would go for a 2x-7x myself, the slightly less magnification will add a little more FOV and allows easier shots on moving game as well as thick woods when you need to be ready, keep the critter in view, and search for the "perfect" shot at the same time.

I honestly prefer a good 3x-9x 40mm over ANY other scope for general hunting and shooting needs. In my honest opinion the 3x-9x 40mm provides a perfect balance of all things.

I might also order a simmons or BSA form cabelas.

I know money don't come easy but I would try to hold off a little more and attempt to save a little extra and get either a Nikon Pro Staff or Bushnell Legend 3x-9x 40mm. Both scopes are available from www.theopticzone.com for $135 and I am positive you will tell a significant difference in optic quality and own an overall more dependable scope. Just my opinion.

Good Luck. Stay Safe. Happy Shooting and Hunting.  :D
"To me the rifle has always been the most romantic of all weapons, and of all rifles, the one I love the most is the rifle for big game." Jack O'Connor

Offline goose7856

• Contributor
buying my first scope
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2004, 12:12:46 PM »
I agree.......hold out for a little better scope..........u dont want it to fail when that big black bear comes out!!

another option could be a Swift 4-12x40, for around $115.......they are sold at eabco.com

or a Mueller 3-9x40........i have heard good things about them.........but the two piece tube scares me  :?

the Nikon Prostaff would probably be the #1 choise for a good reliable scope, for not too much money.......second i would say would have to be a swift or the redfiel tracker (for around $130)........just my 2 cents
Good Hunting and Straight Shooting

Offline kevin.303

buying my first scope
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2004, 12:16:57 PM »
unfortunatly my scope budget is no more then 69.99 + tax. come spring i'm going to buy an M-14 and practice twice a week. i'll probably go with the 40mm 3-9x, although for any practical shooting i'll probably never turn it higher than 6. i have only seen 2 wolves in my life, both standing on the edge of the road in whiteshell provincial park in the same place, different times.

Offline Lead pot

• A Real Regular
buying my first scope
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2004, 04:52:47 PM »
Kevin, I'm not one to say what a man should buy, but I will say this, when you buy a new $70. scope that is what you will get a $70. dollar scope and most likely a few disappointments when it fails.

Kurt
Dont go were the path leads,go were there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline kevin.303

buying my first scope
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2004, 05:47:11 PM »
well, all i ask is a 6 inch or smaller group. i don't want it for tack driving, i want it for deer this year.if money wasn't tight( is there ever a time when it isn't?) i'd get a whole new rig. i'll probably put it on a .22 next year.
 is there a consumers digest type review i might be able to find online. maybe i'll peruse the classified's here first.

Offline sgtt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
buying my first scope
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2004, 06:26:28 PM »
You can find Bushnell Scopechiefs on the auction market for less than what you are willing to pay.  Even ebay has some pretty good deals.  These were top of the line once.  A few scratches on the outside of the scope ain't going to make any difference to a game animal but.....where the bullet hits will!
"Freedom, for some, is problematic.  It does not grant emancipation from responsibility."