Author Topic: Gore-Tex Hunting Clothes  (Read 644 times)

Offline Hippie

• Trade Count: (0)
Gore-Tex Hunting Clothes
« on: September 19, 2004, 12:19:37 PM »
What do you wear for Gore-Tex or water-proof hunting clothes? I can't spend the money on two or three different outfits for hunting season. When  we start out hunting it's mild a raining, but at the end it's cold and snowing. I was looking at the Browning Hydro Fleece 4 in 1 parka and bibs and other brands. I know I am going to have to spend some  money so where's a good place to order? (we all like to save money) Thanks Hippie

Offline jackfish

• Avid Poster
Gore-Tex Hunting Clothes
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 01:44:21 PM »
You could just get some GoreTex rain gear sized a little big and then layer under it as needed.  If you want camo there is much to choose from.  Then to meet blaze orange requirements an outfitters vest would work.  When its cold and snowing I wear wool.
You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
Gore-Tex Hunting Clothes
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 04:27:57 PM »
Jackfish is right. better to get the bigger and layer. If its warm and rainy, you can wear just ther raingear and not overheat.

Also, the dedicated raingear tends to be much more waterproof than the insulated stuff thats supposed to be waterproof.

I have Cabelas "dri plus" which is generic "gore tex" and it works great. My only complaint is the outer shell material which is a micro swede is not waterproof, it has a membrane inside it. This means the outer layer holds some water and drips long after the rain is done. But most hunting rain gear has this outer layer and all will probably suffer this problem, even the gore tex ones. Anyway, the waterproof membrane keeps the water off you and you stay dry.

Offline Reloader

• Avid Poster
Try e-Bay
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2004, 06:24:17 PM »
I was in the same situation you are and money was a bit tight.  I started looking on e-Bay and found what I needed at very good prices.  I now have more Cabela's and Columbia outer wear than I probably need and my total investment has been about what you would pay for one good outfit new.
For example, yesterday a $200.00 coat went for $27 bucks and change.
I've yet to run into any problems from any of the sellers and I'm not too proud to wear used.   :shock:
If I can make it go bang it can't be that hard to do.

Offline lewdogg21

• Avid Poster
Gore-Tex Hunting Clothes
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 08:31:59 AM »
Good advice.

Hippie, I've found that while Browning makes good stuff it is grossely overpriced.  Call up Cabelas and request a catalog and use that to find what you want.  Then you can shop e-bay to track it down.  If you buy from Cabelas though you will never be disappointed.  I've bought boots from them that I wore 2x in the field and returned b/c they caused blisters.  They never question you and customer service is incredible. Also try going to local sporting goods stores that sell quality Gore-Tex apparel and try on different items so you know exactly what features you like.