Author Topic: Feedback on Kahr P-40 Covert  (Read 395 times)

Offline v-man

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Feedback on Kahr P-40 Covert
« on: September 22, 2004, 12:11:56 PM »
I carry lots of 45's and 357's but the Kahr P-40 Covert is the most concealable little powerhouse I've seen. If anyone is interested I'll bore you with some comparisons of factory defense ammo I ran with my newest "little buddy"
I'll list them in my determined order of best to worst based on combination of energy, 15yard accuracy, and "controlability". ( I understand that this data may have no application anywhere but in my particular gun but  some may find it interesting)

1. Hornady 155gr XTP           430ft/lbs - 1 1/2" grp
2. Aquila 95gr IQ                  400ft/lbs - 1" grp
3. Win 180gr SXT                 390ft/lbs - under 2" grp
4. Hornady 180gr XTP           375ft/lbs - under 2" grp
5. Win 165gr SXT Ranger LE  380ft/lbs - 2" grp
6. Fed 135 Hydra-Shock        420ft/lbs - 4"+ grp
7. Corbon 135gr                   505ft/lbs - 2 to 2 1/2" grp

Comments; ( yes I do know that in most self-defense situations any of these would probably get the job done if properly placed "center of mass")

Being a Magnum, big bore freak I would normally go with the power of the Corbon load but with such a small grip the hot Corbons severely twisted the gun in my hand making a follow-up shot impossible. In this particular gun I will have to pass on the exceptional power of the Corbons but for those of you with larger 40's you may want to make note of the extra punch of these rounds.

I am one of the few who like the Aquila IQ's and look how accurate they were in this gun. Except for the Corbons these had the most recoil but no grip control issues.

Also note that I still see no reason to be impressed with Hydra-Shocks.
(I know this is blasphemy to some) I was being kind when I listed them as 4"groups.

Unless the SXT Ranger LE (old Black Talon) uses a "magic bullet" it is no better than the less expensive civilian version and not quite as accurate.

Your comments or questions will welcomed.

Offline powhs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Kahr p-40
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2004, 02:50:15 PM »
I carry flatnose hardball. Might have to shoot through something to get at my target. Never had a bullet mushroom much out of a short barrel hitting a soft target anyway.
My P-40 is very handy but I seem to always carry a colt pony 380 which has taken out two deer with hardball. Shot them at close range in the head after car accidents.