Author Topic: Smoothbore Slugs, Plain Barrels, Sight Picture and POI?  (Read 1002 times)

Offline LMM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Smoothbore Slugs, Plain Barrels, Sight Picture and POI?
« on: September 22, 2004, 09:27:43 PM »
I have my NEF 12ga Pardner (for small game) and reading some of the posts have me interested in trying slugs out of it.

So for those of you doing this, at 25 and 50yds can you describe your sight picture in relation to the point of impact and note the slug your using?

Have accumilated a wide variety of slugs to try through my Pardner to see what it prefers.  Hope to get to the range next week.  I got rid of my rifled barrel slug gun (expensive ammo) and got a muzzleloader.  I have a few spots where I hunt from a stand with a 50yd max shot. May give my Pardner a try for those spots dependent on how it (and/or I) shoots next week.
LMM

"If you can blame guns for killing people, then I can blame my pencil for misspelled words."
--Larry the Cable Guy

Offline tscott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Smoothbore Slugs, Plain Barrels, Sight Pict
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 12:49:04 AM »
If it's legal to use a scoped muzzleloader.... Consider that.
Take the sights off the muzzleloader barrel, and glue to the pardner barrel. There is glue that holds well and can be heated up for removal,
when you want small game.
(Mossberg for one uses glued sights on the trophy slugster, I never knocked them off).
A nice "tuned" smooth bore slug barrel is terrific on deer!..  Particularly inside of 50 - 60 yds....

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 04:31:14 AM »
Out to 50 yards my Pardner 28" mod 12 gauge shoots winchester bulk rifled slugs (15 round boxes) behind the front bead when the bead is just over the receiver.  So for elevation I place the bead on the bulls eye or deer vitals and pull the trigger.  For windage (left/right) I center the bead over the hammer.  The top of the reciever didn't have a good reference point so my shots horizontally strung.  When keeping the bead centered over the cocked hammer my shots were perfect left/right.  25 yards the slug it a little, maybe an inch or so higher.

I'm going to switch to brenneke slugs this year in my pardner because of the better slug performance I've seen over the years.  And they're supposed to be very accurate and have less recoil.  So I'll see if my pardner likes them.

Also, since my pardner shoots both slugs and shotloads a little low at 40 yards, last turkey season I took a pair of pliers and removed the front bead and replaced it with a red truglo fiber optic bead.  Now it's like a "reddot" in that I just put the red fiber on the target and that's where the slug is going at 40 to 50 yards.  In closer it's an inch or so higher.

But, your pardner may shoot high/low/left/right so it's best to run some slugs through it to not only find where it's shooting but also what your accuracy range is with the slugs you select.

Hope this helps!

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 07:23:16 AM »
With winchester slugs I try to bury the bottom half of the bead behind the receiver (for my aging eyes the receiver is just a blur) and put the top of the bead where I want the slug to hit. That usually is dead center vertically and about 2-3" right at 50 yards. But being from KY a little "Ky windage" is no big deal. :grin:

Offline LMM

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2004, 08:22:39 AM »
scruffy and gwhilikerz,

Thanks! That is exactly the detailed information I was looking for. Scruffy, interested in how you like those Brennekes when you test them.  I hope to get out next week to test mine.  Will try to post the results.
LMM

"If you can blame guns for killing people, then I can blame my pencil for misspelled words."
--Larry the Cable Guy

Offline brown-trout

20 ga youth pardner
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2004, 03:30:24 PM »
took mine out today...about 6" groups after i got the hang of it.....not sure if id hunt deer with it, with just bead sight, bit it COULD be done....
got em to string vertically, dead center...
rem 2-3/4" slugger slugs and brenneke magnums (2-3/4" as well..OUCH)
================
probably gonna hang a red dot on it to take away some of the elevation guess work for my daughter...

bt..NE ohio
================================
handi synthetic/ 223 REM / BSA 6-24X 50mm A/O
handi laminated / 270 WIN / Simmons 3-9X 40mm
pardner youth 20 gauge / Mod Choke / Red Dot Scope / Lengthened Forcing Cone / Ported Barrel

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: 20 ga youth pardner
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2004, 04:27:44 PM »
Just a suggestion, get rid of the magnums, you really don't need the "ouch" in a slug gun. Try the Brenneke 2 3/4" MP slugs, easy shooting and accurate....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline LMM

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2004, 11:42:48 PM »
I've checked all around my area and can't find any of the reduced load slugs.  Guess I'll have to mail order them.
LMM

--Larry the Cable Guy

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2004, 04:13:06 PM »
I took my first hog with a Topper 58 12ga. with the Winchester 1-oz rifled slugs. My shoots very low. I won't take it past 25yds. At that distance I place the bead on top of the animals back.  They work very well when they hit though!!!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2004, 01:15:23 AM »
LMM, Try "Cheaper than Dirt" for the Brenneke MP slugs, I am pretty sure they had them for about $1.79 a box of 5!!!, at that price buy a case and if they don't shoot well in your gun (I would think they would) you can sell the rest to others here on this forum....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2004, 01:56:13 AM »
MSP - Just checked at "Cheaper than Dirt" and couldn't find any Brenneke ammo listed after several searches, are you sure it was them? Maybe you could post a link.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline H&R BANG

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2004, 01:08:35 PM »
I just tried my new 22" modified 20 gauge barrel with Winchester and Remington ordinary slugs. At 50 yards, 5 out of 7 were within 6 inches, with the other two opening the group up to about 9 inches. The group was right on point of aim - with the bead centered on the receiver. The frst three were shot off the bench, the rest offhand. Three off the bench was plenty! The gun weighs 5 pounds 1 ounce, so it is an ideal walking around woods gun (with a synthetic stock).

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2004, 02:00:11 PM »
lik2hunt, just checked "Cheaper than Dirt", nothing there now. I did however find Brenneke 2 3/4" KO slugs at $1.79  per box of 5 at "Wholesale Hunter". The MP slugs I have such luck with are Brenneke Rottwiel Slugs, the KO's are Brenneke's. I am not sure of the difference and don't believe there is a difference but for $1.79 for 5 it's worth a shot ( :-D )...If you can't find the MP's anywhere call "Kittery Trading Post" in Kittery Maine, they ship and they have them there for $4.19 per box of 5, up from $3.89 a box about 3-4 months ago. Perhaps a check for distributors or sales points thru Brenneke-Rottwiel will yield a dealer closer to you. If all else fails let me know and I will buy some next time I'm by Kittery and send them to you....<><.... :grin:

Offline icthus153

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2004, 06:31:23 AM »
lmm, i found brenneke slugs at the outdoor superstore for 1.75 a box for the k.o. model it shoots good out of my tracker 2
MY LIFE REVOLES AROUND 5 "F"S , MY FAITH ,MY FAMILY,FUR,FINS AND FEATHERS :wink: