Author Topic: Lunch in the field  (Read 1655 times)

Offline BRL

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
Lunch in the field
« on: September 25, 2004, 04:24:28 AM »
Ok, this may seem strange to some, but...

I own a nutritional supplement manufacturing company. My 2 passions are nutrition/fitness and hunting/shooting. I have an idea to link the 2. I would like some feedback as to what people think. It would be greatly appreciated.

My idea...

To make something that does not require refrigeration, tastes great and is still lower in fat and healthy so huters and outdoor people can throw a few in their pack and eat them while in the field. These "meals" would be higher in protein, lower in fat and have just enough carbs to keep you satisfied.

Product 1. A meal replacement bar or protein bar. There would be no chocolate on the outside to melt, like most bars do. I might even put the chocolate on the inside for you chocolate lovers. It would have all the vitamins and minerals one would need.

Product 2. A healthy, high protein, low fat pudding in different flavors. Again all the vitamins and minerals. No refigeration required.

I know a lot of us take jerky in the field or something else. I think some people would like to have another option while still being healthy. I already have the formulations and different flavors on paper and will probably take them to market in the health food market. I am wondering if anyone thinks that the products would do well marketed to hunters and shooters under a different name and label called something creative that all hunters will know.

What do you guys think? If it happens, I'll work out a discount for everyone here with Graybeard's permission.
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Lunch in the field
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2004, 05:55:55 AM »
My idea...

To make something that does not require refrigeration, tastes great and is still lower in fat and healthy so huters and outdoor people can throw a few in their pack and eat them while in the field. These "meals" would be higher in protein, lower in fat and have just enough carbs to keep you satisfied.

Not all of us are "into" low fat low carb craze. I suspect most hunters are not. Foods like that NEVER taste worth a darn.

Product 1. A meal replacement bar or protein bar. There would be no chocolate on the outside to melt, like most bars do. I might even put the chocolate on the inside for you chocolate lovers. It would have all the vitamins and minerals one would need.

Product 2. A healthy, high protein, low fat pudding in different flavors. Again all the vitamins and minerals. No refigeration required.

What is it with food marketing these days that folks think every single product has to have all the vitamins and minerals one is supposed to ingest daily in it? In some cases this is even UNHEALTHY. There are some vitamins that are fat soluable and really are best NOT taken in excess. To me this is a DUMB marketing strategy. One of the cereals bases their entire marketing campaign around how many bowls of competing brands it takes to equal the vitamins and minerals in theirs. Sorry I just don't get it.

I know a lot of us take jerky in the field or something else. I think some people would like to have another option while still being healthy. I already have the formulations and different flavors on paper and will probably take them to market in the health food market. I am wondering if anyone thinks that the products would do well marketed to hunters and shooters under a different name and label called something creative that all hunters will know.

Sure can't speak for others but I think the market is glutted now with such products. I've never seen any specially targeted product that failed to cost more than the generally available equal product already on the shelves. I do take such products to the woods with me every time I go. I don't look on the box to see how many carbs or fats or sugars or any other such are in them. I buy what I like the taste of from experimentation. I will say I generally shy away from anything marketed as low carb or low fat or no sugar marked boldly on the package. But that's just me.

What do you guys think? If it happens, I'll work out a discount for everyone here with Graybeard's permission.

Should you produce them you'll need to become a paid advertiser if you wish to market them thru GBO. Same as everyone else who wishes to market items here.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline New Hampshire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Lunch in the field
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2004, 06:04:28 AM »
Shucks, I guess I fall into Graybeards discription.....I dont se nuthin wrong with cold grilled cheese sandwiches cut up.  And of course there is trail mix.  My parents are into the Low carb craze....me?  I just eats whats I eats  :grin: .
Brian M.
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline 7mm MAGNUM

Lunch in the field
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2004, 07:31:40 AM »
Ditto here!

I'm satisfied with my granola bars, coffee nips (coffee hard candies) & venison jerky to nibble on while out in the field. 8)

I think this "Health Craze- LOW carb" stuff has been beaten to death.  :noway:

For gods sakes man,... let us EAT for a change and enjoy ourselves with what we want, not what some yo-yos have determined is suppose to be good for us! I personally want some taste and flavor to what I consume!
Shoot Straight & Stay Safe!   :D

Terry Webster

Life Member NAHC
Life Member NAFC
Life Member NRA
Michigan Steelheaders Assn
MUCC
Michigan Bow Hunters Assn

Offline tscott

• A Real Regular
Lunch in the field
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2004, 07:49:28 AM »
From a nutritional standpoint you can't beat a bowl of oatmeal, and some fruit before, coupla Powerbars, and a quart Coke bottle of water for the day....I love being gourmet outside the woods!
The real eye opener for me is the exercise piece.
I am the age of Graybeard, retired from the Dept of Physical Education
at West Point. Even taught with a Crimson Tider (visiting Prof), back in AL
Who just wrote an article on hunters croaking. It was the first article that I have seen that focused on conditioning, rather than deer hunting is dangerous on your heart. Nothing could be further than the truth,
for the vast majority who get in, and stay in shape.
By the way that Bama guy was pretty good on whitetails, in the rocky terrain above the Hudson. I would be glad to participate in a forum on conditioning for outdoorsmen.....

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
Lunch in the field
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2004, 10:40:58 AM »
BRL,

I am a low carb guy myself and I can tell you the exact product to make that is currently NOT available anywhere--low carb freeze dried meals. Wouldn't be very popular with hunters, but would be very popular with Backpackers who probably tend to be more nutritionalists/athletes than the average hunter.

I happen to combine backpacking with hunting and it is very hard to do it low carb style. Jerky and nuts are my mainstay for day trips, but when you're out days at a time, you want some hot meals. Freeze dried meals are prefferred because they are very light to carry, and just add boiling water and stand to cook.

There are many freeze dried meals which are very convenient and light for backpacking, but they are litterally packed with carbs. This leaves the low carb crowd with no options in freeze dried meals other than scrambled eggs

Offline sgtt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Lunch in the field
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2004, 07:43:31 PM »
I think the market is already glutted with such.  I would be interested if it were cheaper than a venison sausage/cheese sandwich and a snickers bar.  Is it just me, or does the chocolate on a snickers hold up better than that on a Baby-Ruth?
"Freedom, for some, is problematic.  It does not grant emancipation from responsibility."

Offline SLAVAGE

• Trade Count: (21)
  • A Real Regular
Lunch in the field
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2004, 07:52:27 AM »
i bleave you are right it dose hold up better in the snickers bar lol
im no health nut at all nore do i wish to become one lol 3 two litters of mountain dew a day  on avg lol all so red meat 6 out of 7 days a week an i take my steak med lol so when i do go down at least im going happy lol
but i take a sandwitch or two an a few candy bars  an i do take one heater meal ther 5$ each but ther good  most the time i dont eat it but thers just them very very cold days were you just nead some thing warm in your tummie to keep u going  
dave

Offline kevin.303

Lunch in the field
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2004, 05:54:52 PM »
that's a good idea and there are many people who would buy such items, but i think most of us here recognize only 2 food groups. grease and salt. now, i myself am on the south beach diet. not as extreme as the atkins diet. i was losing a lot of weight until i started working at pizza hut. infernal free pizza!! anyways i've found that when going outdoors, especially when its winter, late fall or early spring it is better to carry snickers bars over carrot sticks. outdoors=high fat high suger. but once i'm home it's right back to the diet. don't want to be 300 lbs forever. why is it that unhealthy foods taste good and heathy food tastes awful :?:
" oh we didn't sink the bismarck, and we didn't fight at all, we spent our time in Norfolk and we really had a ball. chasing after women while our ship was overhauled, living it up on grapefruit juice and sick bay alcohol"

Offline victorcharlie

Lunch in the field
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2004, 01:34:28 AM »
I've got to agree with Greybeard on this one.   Have you ever noticed that you see very few skinny people eating diet food?  Recent studies indicate that diet drinks actually make people hungry thus they eat more.  As for me, jerkey, potted meat and crackers, cheese whiz, snickers bars etc.  are what I usually take to the field with me!
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline JPSaxMan

Lunch in the field
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2004, 02:27:50 PM »
BRL, a great thought from a probably brilliant mind but we have to face it. Every hunter from small game hunters traveling in excess of 2 miles a day (even in circles) to elk and other big game hunters who have to possibly pack out quarters 6 miles from camp, needs carbohydrates. We find that in trail mix, meats (like venison jerky...and most hunters prefer the vension because it's low fat) and whatnot. Low carb substitutes may be healthy for the computer geek (no pun intended) with an office job in New York, but for a hunter...if you don't supply carbs, you could crash. And if that's 6 miles away from camp, I wouldn't be too gung-ho about draggin someone out. There's some "food" for thought.  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline kevin.303

Lunch in the field
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2004, 03:36:05 PM »
you forgot the hip flask of wild turkey!! :) of course thats only after all firearms are put away and no driving is involved :wink:

seems to me that snickers are the chosen "bar" for todays sportsmen on the go!! :)
" oh we didn't sink the bismarck, and we didn't fight at all, we spent our time in Norfolk and we really had a ball. chasing after women while our ship was overhauled, living it up on grapefruit juice and sick bay alcohol"

Offline JPSaxMan

Lunch in the field
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2004, 04:27:45 PM »
Oh right, turkey. Ur right, didn't even ponder that one :roll:  :) . And since I am the type to read and believe what the folks at Outdoor Life and Field and Stream have to say, they also have more detailed opinons on Carbohydrates afield. Field and Stream just released an article titled "Revenge of the Carbs". In this article, an outfitter (coincidentally enough it's a female) is interviewed about clients who are on these "low carb" diets and end up leaving completely changed. Alrighty then. I've spouted off enough.  :D
JP

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
Lunch in the field
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2004, 09:25:36 AM »
Fishman,

I believe you are somewhat mistaken by the carb requirements. It is true if you are always eating a high carb diet and your body depends on this constant supply of "artificial" energy, but once you have gone low carb, your blood sugar levels adjust and your body actually creates most of its energy from burning fat and protein. This is why the Atkins diet works, once you go through the induction phase and your body eliminates carbs as an energy source, it literally burns itself. Once you have gone low carb, shocking your system with a big shot of carbs can actually cause your blood sugar levels to wack out and you will be very tired. Trust me, once in a while I have to eat a pizza and a few beers, and I'm usually falling asleep in the chair 10 minutes later.

Since starting Atkins, I have gone from drinking a full 10cup (80oz) pot of coffee in the morning before I could move to drinking only 16oz and I have all the energy in the world. I was always tired all the time before Atkins. I have also lost about 30lbs and I pretty much eat as much as I want, just nothing with carbs.

Think about it. The human body did not evolve eating carbs (sorry to all of you who don't believe in evolution). In our history as a species, more than 90% of that time we were eating diets very high in animal fats and protein, with a few carbs thrown in by way of fruits and berries. Only about 10% of human history did we start farming and eating grain which has been a staple for the "carbs" we mostly eat.

Offline victorcharlie

Lunch in the field
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2004, 02:13:21 PM »
Not meaning to spur anything on, but the average adult male only lived to about 40 years of age back then.....I've not done the adkins, but have friends who have achieved remarkable results on it.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline JPSaxMan

Lunch in the field
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2004, 11:30:59 AM »
Well, I don't know how to respond. I suppose the Atkins works for some...haven't read many reviews on it. But...ok...even if your body is adjusted to working with those low carbs on an everyday basis...unless your a guide and packing out elk EVERY day, your body needs fuel for that extra strain and stress, which equals more carb intake. According to my sources, the amount of fuel intake taken by sportsmen are as follows: 60% carbs, 25% fat, and only 15% of protein. And it's reasonably simple. The carbs provide the fuel, the fat keeps ya warm, and the protein rebuilds any muscle needed. So...I think that's about the size of it.  :D
JP

Offline BRL

• A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
Lunch in the field
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2004, 12:43:30 PM »
Great input from everyone. Thank you.

I'm not sure where I said diet food and I didn't say low carb, extremely low fat health food. I am designing a line of food/supplements that are "lower" in carbs and fat than traditional foods and snacks. For those of you who take Snickers to the field...what if I told you you could eat a product that looks and tastes like a Snickers but you could eat 4 bars and get the same amount of fat and carbs as 1 Snickers. And, no, it's not loaded with artificial flavors and chemicals.

I am just making favorite foods of the masses more healthy to eat on a regular basis or giving the ability to eat more of them, more often; and making them more convenient. Believe me, I am not trying to market the Atkins diet all over again, Atkins company does that better than I probably ever could and has deeper pokets than I ever will to market. I am a biochemist, food scientist and nutritionist who has tried every health product, diet and whatever else has come along over the last 15 years. I know very well that most of those products taste soooo bad.

I have also been a hunter for the last 15 years and know how, what, when and where most hunters eat. I think that I have been an oddball in my hunting community by being health conscious and a bodybuilder. I realize this.

My goal is not to change the eating habbits of hunters, but to give them a very tasty snack for them to take to the field...if it has 20% less fat and 20% fewer carbs....oh well. As long as they like it and it is convenient. It's better for them health wise.

One product I am testing right now is a line of pudding that does not require refrigeration, just peel off the top and eat...25-30 grams of protein, 25-30 grams of carbs and 4 grams of fat. This profile is very similar to a healthy meal. Flavors...key lime pie, caramel apple, boston cream pie, chocolate, vanilla, pistachio and few more that are in the testing stage for flavoring. I absolutely love these things. The first week of testing, I ate 3 or 4 every day! Now, with a nutritional profile like that, I can afford to do that. By the way, I eat 6 or 7 small meals a day anyway.

In my original post, I didn't get into details and still cannot here due to the fact that I am working on patents and name trademaks for the product line as well as each product. What I can say is that the product above is called the .30-30 (of course I will get the protein up to 30 grams and the carbs up to 30 grams.) A lower carb version of this pudding...the .30-06 (30 grams of protein and only 6 grams of carbs but still the same product and flavors, just not as sweet). Those are the products and names I have trademarked so I can list those. The others will have to wait. Oh, the name of this line of products, and a subsidiary of my parent company will be called the "Ammunition Series".
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline victorcharlie

Lunch in the field
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2004, 02:07:10 PM »
Ok, you talked me in to it!  I'll field test them for you, just send them this way and I'll be happy to tell you what I think!
Barry Goldwater

Offline JPSaxMan

Lunch in the field
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2004, 02:18:13 PM »
Send me some .30-.30!!  :-D  :D
JP

Offline rockbilly

Lunch in the field
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2004, 05:09:45 PM »
I usually take a couple of MREs out to my stand on opening day, if I eat............I get all the fat and carbs I'm allowed for a week.  I usually take one with me if I'm walking, just in case.  I also take a couple of bottles of water.

If the MREs are good enough for our troops, they are good enough for me.  Besides, makes me feel like I'm still in the war and not an old retired mule........24 years, eight months and 13 days, I almost made a career out of it.

Offline jhm

Lunch in the field
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2004, 08:11:48 AM »
Give me a Landers onion beagle a chunk of sharp chedder cheeze, a few of the grenola bars, a bottle of water and some coffee, and you will never hear me complain, I adjust the types of food I carry depending on the type of hunt and the time I am expecting to be away, but for the most part most of what I carry is in the form of already avail. over the counter foods I enjoy rather that what someone else thinks I need, after all we hunt for the enjoyment of it so the food should be as much a pleasure to you as the hunt. :D    JIM

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
Lunch in the field
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2004, 08:43:42 AM »
JHM,

You are eating Beagles?

I have one Red and one Tri-Color, but never heard of a Landers Onion Beagle. Is that the Sires name?

Remind me not to take my rabbit hounds out in your neck of the woods :)  :)  :)

Offline jhm

Lunch in the field
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2004, 08:58:43 AM »
I always knew I would get caught :-D  and yes they are vary good toasted with butter or peanut butter on them. :D    JIM

Offline snowdog

Lunch in the field
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2004, 05:29:29 PM »
Just love them damn Kudo's snack bars.
30-30....45/70...... does anything else matter?

Offline TXSURVEYOR

Lunch in the field
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2004, 09:48:55 AM »
Beagles, I am six days behind that one and still found it hilarious.

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Lunch in the field
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2004, 10:51:37 AM »
I guess I am pretty locked in when it comes to food while deer hunting. For years I have carried a pb&j sandwich, apple, snickers, and hard candy.  This along with a bottle of water and a bottle of Mountain Dew and I am good for the entire day of hunting. :grin:

Offline JPSaxMan

Lunch in the field
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2004, 12:40:35 PM »
Sounds good to me. I usually either take crackers or sumtin else to munch on for the morning...head in for lunch...then I'm good till shootin light is over.  :D
JP

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
Lunch in the field
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2004, 08:13:03 PM »
Quote from: snowdog
Just love them damn Kudo's snack bars.

Hey me to..I like the reecese ones..If you can makes somthing like that, that would be the ticket :)
Good Luck, Be Safe, and God Bless  :D

Ephesians 2:8
--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--

Offline grizzy57

• Avid Poster
Lunch in the field
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2004, 10:49:55 PM »
:D
Lunch in the Field!! You see the remains of lots of lunches in the Field
Soda cans,Vienna sausage cans,cake wrappers, candy bar wrappers,
sandwich bags,Water bottles,Orange peels,Stuff they carry in BUT don't want to carry out!!!
                            :cry: Grizzy57

Offline BRL

• A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
Lunch in the field
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2004, 10:11:34 AM »
I agree grizz, that's unfortunate. Thanks for everyone's reply and opinion.
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist