Author Topic: Lunch in the field  (Read 1656 times)

Offline Robert

• Trade Count: (0)
All for it
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2004, 01:21:55 PM »
I usually buy Sunbelt Granola bars from Wallmart, they are cheap 3 boxes for 2 dollars....or is it two boxes for 3 dollars?  either way they are a great deal and they really taste surprisingly good...seem to be pretty healthy too.  I  also stock up on Planters peanuts in small individual bags and any other 'low bulk' snacks I feel a yankering for at the moment.  Apples are really fantastic, I have had deer walk right up to me and challenge me for an apple.  That is something to think about too....eat foods that will attract the animals and get them salivating....granola bars fit right in there...anything with fruit and nuts, peanut butter sandwhiches smothered with Smucker's stawberry preserves....anything that is a pleasant sticky-sweet gooey mess will bring them right in from down-wind as long as you are not a smoker.
....make it count

Offline JPSaxMan

Lunch in the field
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2004, 03:46:17 PM »
Yick, granola bars. Sorry. Can't stand them one bit.  :roll:
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline MF

• Avid Poster
Food in the field
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2004, 04:52:51 AM »
I usually take those Starkist tuna lunchables in my pack. I put them in a ziplock bag to carry out the leftover container so I don't get tuna yuck all over my pack. Mike

Offline Rmouleart

• Contributor
  • Aim small hit small.
Lunch in the field
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2004, 05:12:27 AM »
I don't usually eat in the field during hunting times maybe altoids breath mints, I do bring plenty of water, but I do like a big breakfast before heading in the field for a days hunt, I own a small RV a Toyota Sunraider it sleeps four and has everything I need when I get back from the morning hunt, its really nice after hunting all day just to come back eat and relax before hitting the sack, not having to drive anywhere. I believe when it comes to good nutrition, moderation of fat and salt intake is important, and good regiment of exercise keeps the plumbing clear. I workout five days a week to keep in shape been doing it all my life. I don't believe in low carb diets, they are dangerous, your body needs a certain amount of protean and carbs for your body to function right, low carb means low energy, thats were your energy comes from is your carbs, makes suger for your body, if you need to trim down in size/weight decrease the amount your eating, much better for your body than starving it of carbs, just my opinion being a health freak all my life, if people would exercise more, and just eat three square meals a day, and try not to eat too much junk food, would be better off. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

Offline tscott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Lunch in the field
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2004, 06:43:53 AM »
Amen, There is nothing as important to deer hunting success, particularly
long term than regular workouts... Most days of the week. I've said it before: No deer hunt that I have undertaken, has been as strenous as
an average workout that I am doing at 58!
4 years ago I fell on ice hunting. I was in the hospital 2 days. There is no way I would have been back deer hunting in 10 days, if I was not in great shape. In fact there is no way I could have walked 2 miles, with a blown hamstring to get out of the woods, if I wasn't in the shape I was in.
Weatherby made a pretty expensive crutch!