Author Topic: RANGE REPORT - KELTEC P-32  (Read 535 times)

Offline RVER

• Trade Count: (0)
RANGE REPORT - KELTEC P-32
« on: September 25, 2004, 03:18:34 PM »
Greetings, I'm new to the forum and wanted to share this. I originally posted this elsewhere in the forum, but thought that it wouls be most appropriate here.

My wife and I recently decided to purchase two new P-32's, and we wanted to pass along our impressions as we are very pleased.

Along with the guns we got two spare magazines (for the purpose of rotating the loaded magazine on a monthly basis), two Uncle Mikes Pocket holsters, one case of .32 FMJ Winchester. Two Keltec “inside the waistband clips” are on the way from the factory, for a total layout of about $600.00. Cheap life insurance by any standard….  

The initial inspection of the guns found them to be in working order, well finished (both are blued), and fitted. Each gun came in a sturdy factory sealed cardboard box with one magazine, gun rug, lock and instruction manual. The guns are serial numbered "123XXX" and "C1YXX".

While taking the guns apart I noticed a difference in the take down pins between them, in that C1XXX has the newer grooved pin where 123XXX has the older design. I prefer the older design as it's much easier to remove the pin fro cleaning, although I understand the reason for the new pin style.

A call to Keltec confirmed that both guns were of recent manufacture, 123XXX was manufactured in early 04, and that C1XXX was manufactured around 06/04. I was advised that 123XXX was not in need of a parts upgrade.  

Following initial inspection, the first thing that I did was to de-grease the guns with alcohol, and complete a basic “Fluff & Buff” on each. I then re-greased them, and set off to the range.

Firing was done at a private 24/7 indoor range (4 Mi from home), I was the only one there and was able to take my time. A total of 150 Rounds of FMJ were fired through each gun, with each gun being cleaned, inspected and re-greased every 50 rounds.

Firing was done strong hand, weak hand, limp wrist, rapid fire, slow fire... with 100% function. Sights were dead on out to 15 yards (Max distance of my range). Accuracy was excellent, keeping every round within the nine ring of a standard “B-27” target at 15 yards.

A design feature of the P-32 which I really like, and one which sets it apart from most other “pocket” sized pistols such as the NAA G-32, Sig Sauer .380, and Walther PPK (just to name a few), is how high the slide rests over the hand.

Not only is there absolutely no slide bite, my wife was able to grip the P-32 in the same manner as she would a revolver (by wrapping her off hand thumb around the back of her strong hand), without any fear of getting “bit”. This gave her a very firm two hand grip, and she was able to shoot the P-32 with minimal fatigue and maximum control.

Although the .32 isn’t a power house, we’re willing to bet that delivering multiple .32 FMJ shots into a bad guy’s “magic CNS box” will do more to get us safely home at the end of the day than will strong words, finger nails, .22’s or .25’s…  or the .40 Glock that was either left at home or in the car.

I choose to stick with mild FMJ for it's penetration (particularly considering our target area), reliability, and controllability for rapid accurate shots. There are some "hot" JHP and Pre-Frag loads out there for the .32 Auto, however I don't feel that the P-32, due to it's short barrel, would benefit from these loads due to a lack of velocity.

We were looking for the smallest, lightest, reliable pistol for 24/7 pocket carry. The P-32 fulfills this need better than any other pistol. Yea, our Glock’s shoot bigger holes, but their soooo much harder to carry in a pocket.

Thanks Keltec, we’re very pleased!