Author Topic: old style weaver  (Read 395 times)

Offline robin-hood-90

• Trade Count: (0)
old style weaver
« on: September 26, 2004, 05:28:42 AM »
I recently purchased a remington 788 in .243, it was manufactured in 1975, it came with an older model all steel weaver V9, the scope seems to hold zero very well. What I was wondering was if I should put my trust in this scope or upgrade? Also is there any way to tell the manufacture dates on the old weavers?

Offline Carl l.

• Avid Poster
  • Hunting,Fishing,Camping and Woodworking
old style weaver
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2004, 06:07:08 AM »
robin-hood-90. If the scope has El-paso Texas on it try this- the addresse is Weaver Scope Repair Service
                  1121 Larry Mahan Drive, SuiteB
                  El-Paso, Texas-79925

Phone, 915-593-1003
I hope this helps Carl L.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
old style weaver
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2004, 06:22:49 AM »
I was never really that enamored with the old Weaver scopes (not with the new ones now either by the way) but I sure used them for many years. They were about all any of us used way back when. They did seem mechanically sound but optically left a lot to be desired even then. By today's standards you might say they "suck". Even the lower priced scopes of today are superior optically but maybe not mechanically.

You can probably trust the soundness of it from a mechanical stand point. But you'll find in low light it sure lacks a lot. Most of the older Weaver scopes used lower quality glass that was not fully polished at the outer edges. Coatings were not always on all glass to air surfaces either. Not sure about yours.

If it were me I'd retire it and buy a new scope.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline robin-hood-90

old style weaver
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2004, 06:52:49 AM »
thanks graybeard, upgraded to leupold M8 6 power and there is no comparison, 788 with a leupold is the ultimate deer rifle IMHO