Author Topic: Savage 99 dates of manufacture  (Read 109156 times)

Offline savageT

• Trade Count: (0)
Savage 99 dates of manufacture
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2005, 06:15:54 AM »
Piney,
Excellent work!  Glad you were able to ID your treasure, and Thank You Ron T. for your important pointers.

About the 99's sights........If yours is shooting high, remember that everything works in reverse for a front sight...the higher the front sight the LOWER the point of impact.  Is there a series of photos on www.Savage99.com of factory sights on your model99?  I'd bet you have at one time replaced the rear sight and elevator rather than the front.......

Jim
savageT........Have you hugged a '99 lately?

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most.

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2005, 07:11:38 PM »
Thank You Ron T. for your important pointers.

You are surely welcome, Sir.  :-)

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Texgun

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2005, 06:49:36 AM »
How about a date and model on an old (( in 252-3000/ Just says 99, no letters. it's hard to tell to tell what's on the lever boss,may be a E or F.
A great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
-- Walter Bagehot

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2005, 04:23:18 PM »
I need more information in order to be able to help you determine the age and model of your .250-3000 caliber rifle (aka ".250 Savage").

A Lever Boss Code of "E" would indicate a 1953 Model.  A Code of "F" would mean it was made in 1954.  Use a magnifying glass and take a "hard" look at the lever boss.  It may not have an oval on the lever boss.

Look on the top of the barrel near the rear sight, does it say, "Savage Arms Corporation, Chicopee Falls, Mass USA"?  Savage moved their manufacturing to Chicopee Falls in 1946 and remained there until 1960 when they moved to their present facilities in Westfield, MA.

What's the serial number?

Does it have a schnoble forearm?

What's the barrel length?

Answer the above questions and I'll try to help you.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Texgun

• Avid Poster
Mfg Date
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2005, 04:40:17 PM »
Ron T.,

Sorry I took so long to get back with you.
Here are the answers to your questions:
1. There is a scratch on the lever boss but I think the letter is an E.
2. It was made in Chicopee Falls.
3. Serial number is 677133.
4. The forearm is not a schnoble. It is rather blunt and slightly rounded.
5. The barrel is 24" long.
6. Calibre is 250-3000.
-- Walter Bagehot

Offline Texgun

• Avid Poster
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2005, 06:59:19 PM »
Ron T.,
I was wondering why so many guys in this group only tell part of the serial numbers ie; 416XXX.
Is there some reason to be careful about using the whole serial number?
-- Walter Bagehot

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2005, 06:17:16 PM »
Texgun...

Sounds like you might have a later model "R" with a semi-beavertail forearm with a blunt tip and checkered side panels.  The Model Rs  were made from 1932-1960.

Your serial number puts the date of manufacturer in either 1952 or 1953.  However, the surest method of identifying the year of manufacture is by correctly identifying the Lever Boss Code.

The Lever Boss Code "letter" should be inside an small OVAL together with one or two inspector's numbers in front of the Lever Boss Code's letter on the front side of the lever boss.  If it is, in fact, a letter "E", then 1953 is the year your rifle was made.  Unfortunately, this "Code" letter was stamped very light... and it may not be possible to read.

There are a few other ways you might identify the Model "R".  The R-model had a larger stock than other Model 99's, heavier through the comb.  Measure the checkering on the rifle's forearm, a Model R's  checkering was 10-5/8ths inches long and only the forearm's side panels are checkered.

As to why most people write only the first three or four numbers of their rifle's serial number, I have no idea.  I always assumed it was because they didn't wish to give the rifle's full serial number because someone might claim the rifle was their's... and they'd have the full serial number to PROVE it!

However, with only about HALF of the rifle's serial number, claiming ownership would be pretty hard to do.

Other than that, your guess is as good as mine.

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Offline tanoose

• A Real Regular
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2005, 08:41:58 AM »
Hi guys i just got a savage 99 and i do not have it in hand yet , my friend is holding it for me i will pick it up next month. It  is a savage 99 in 308 winchester with a monte carlo stock with checkpiece and an old weaver 4x scope  It is marked 99M   westfield Mass. the serial # is 1144xxx in the oval by the lever boss its stamped 9 j  So according to the lever boss code info above i beleive it was manufactured in 1958. Is this correct and where does that lever boss code info come from . I called savage today by they no longer give manufacturer dates before 1995 Later Tanoose

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2005, 03:23:10 PM »
Tanoose...

Yes, your rifle was manufactured in 1958.  The "9" is the inspector's number and the "J" indicates the year of manufacture.

The Lever Boss Code was stamped on the rifle by Savage inspectors at the time of manufacture and final inspection.

It is unfortuate that the current owners of the Savage Arms Company steadfastly refuse to offer any information to the owners of the Savage rifles made prior to their take-over of Savage Arms.  You'd think they'd realize the VALUE of the positive effect of "product support" to the owners of rifles the Savage Arms Company formally manufactured.  I guess Savage management must think these same owners won't be prime candidates to buy more rifles in the near future.

This is yet another case of short-sighted Corporate America's "attitude" of "What did you do for ME in the past 24 hours?", eh?

And they wonder why "product loyality" is not what it use to be...   :roll:

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2005, 07:26:26 PM »
Texgun...

It's been several months since we talked about the date your Model 99 was manufactured, but I have just obtained some new serial number information concerning the Model 99's... and, according to the serial number, your rifle was DEFINITELY made in 1953... no doubt about it.

I just thought you'd like to know...    :-)

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Offline Micahn

• Avid Poster
Re: Savage 99 dates of manufacture
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2006, 07:51:17 PM »
Does anyone know what years the Model 99 was made with the Brass rotary ?
I have seen the rotary made from both brass and what I guess was steal. My modal 99 has the brass and is 300 savage.

Offline Rachel

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2006, 05:35:02 PM »
I read all the post about the 99F, and have to ask, since I just purchased on, why is the .358 Winchester so supposedly rare? I went to a local gun shop, and they had about 6 Model 99's in various calibers, and poor shape. I hated to see such fine rifles treated so badly. Rachel

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2006, 03:59:11 PM »
The .358 Winchester caliber is fairly rare because not very many Model 99s were chambered for that caliber.  I suppose it has something to do with "demand" for that caliber.

I'll frankly never understand why the .358 Win. never gained the acceptance level I have always felt it should have gained.  It is a great caliber which is fully capable of taking a wide range of game with relative ease.

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2006, 01:25:20 PM »
Rachel and/or Ron, if either of you, or anyone else here knows of a used and even abused M99 in .358 please let me know, I would rather not have it in pristine shape, a woods gun would be prefferred since I would really love to have one to hunt maine with...Thanks to anyone who give me any leads....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2006, 04:49:16 PM »
Look on www.gunsamerica.com or the other net site that sells only firearms... can't think of it's name right now.  You'll find all kinds of guns for sale there... including Model 99 Savage rifles.

Offline FourBee

« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2007, 01:02:18 PM »
Hey Men:
  Just got a letter from Mr. J.T. Callahan, Westfield, MA.
The Research on all the information on a Savage Arms Model 99 is $30.00 per gun.    He needs the Serial # and Model.
After frustrated attempts to find info on my Fox B I wrote him some weeks back.   Just mailed out a check to him today.  It'll take 6 weeks to get the results.
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline neald

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2008, 04:35:55 AM »
my m-99 250-3000 has no stamping on the lever
 I found this place to date savages and some others  older Winchesters and Henerys
http://www.savage99.com/dates.htm
 mine was made 1916
Neal

Offline galaxie

Trashed Savage 99
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2008, 06:27:39 AM »
Hey guys - how can I date my 99C action (which is all I have at this time) if it has had the mark on the boss removed?  It was a burn job, and it was ROUGH.  The serial is C918XXX, and it is stamped UD4 in large characters above the lever where the stock would cover, and a small 8 above that.  Any help would be appreciated!

Offline halfacop

« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2008, 08:34:08 AM »
Allright - after researching and researching I cannot figure out exactly what model 99 I have.....

The serial number puts it at a mgf date of 1936......

Here's a few pics - perhaps you guys can land a "model #" me.

Its got a case hardened lever.
An adjustable elevator style rear site.
The brass round counter.
Regular Forearm with checkering and checkered pistol grip stock.
24 inch barrel.
The marking in front of the lever on the bottom appears to be a " Q " but its a 1936 so its not in an oval. (not sure if this marking is anything at all)

Would appreciate any help. I inherited this rifle from my grandfather. Not sure where he got it (prolly bought it off some guy in the shop) He mounted the scope on flip to the side rings around 1993 according to a peice of paper with the gun. As you can see its in great shape and no rust to speak off except some surface stuff on the butt plate.....

The things in awesome shape for a 1936 mfg'd gun - just wondering what model it may be.

Thanks guy's

Offline ltlbear

« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2009, 09:16:15 AM »
I have a model 1899G ser#257XXX that has a S stamp that is not encircled, hand checkered, and brass rotary clip. I have two questions to ask. is The S mark an inspector mark? or date mark. secondly did this particular model have lenmar sights as an option. I would like to add that this is one of the best hunting rifles I've had the pleasure of using. I don't have a scope mounted on it because it doesn't need it. first shot at 100 yds. is always a bull, and that ain't no bull

Offline ltlbear

« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2009, 09:36:25 AM »
99C manufactured from 1965 till at least 1994, and came in 243, 284, and 308. Magazine for 284 holds 1 less round. Can't help on the boss markings

Offline glennjw

« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2009, 05:02:46 PM »
Hi - I was just reading all this information and I was unable to zero in on a date of manufacture or model number from what I read.  So, I wanted to throw up some info and see what came down.  I have a Savage 99 in 300 Savage with a steal (not brass) counter.  It looks like the oval on the lever boss has a "J" for the first of 3 letters.  I cannot make out the other two letters.  The serial number is 6 digits starting with 699XXX.  I have some pictures:

Your help will be greatly appreaciated.
-Jim Glenn-

Offline olzabato

« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2009, 08:56:23 AM »
I have 300 savage ser # 359074  there is no circle just a Q on the lever boss ??

Here is a complete list of the Lever Boss Codes and their corresponding year of manufacture:
A= 1949
B= 1950
C= 1951
D= 1952
E= 1953
F= 1954
G= 1955
H= 1956
I= 1957
J= 1958
K= 1959
L= 1960
M= 1961
N= 1962
O= SKIPPED
P=1963
Q= SKIPPED
R= 1964
S= 1965
T= 1966
U= 1967
V= 1968
W= 1969
X= 1970

Strength & HonorÂ…

Ron T.
[/quote]

Offline dstrickl

« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2009, 05:26:43 AM »
Made a post Savage Enthusiast then noticed this thread.

New here, patience please.

Not interested in selling, just curious about it's age and value. 

After researching the web site given in this post I can give a better description of my 99.  Still unsure of the date of manufacture.

1. Barrel - 22" round tapered.
2. Butt stock - steele classic rifle (graceful crescent)
3. Forearm stock - delicate schnoble
4. Front sight - Raised ramp, metal bead, Marble #5
5. Rear sight - Marble sight
6. Savage Arms Corporation Utica, NY
7. Caliber - .30 .30
8. Serial # - 350046

The only other information I could come up with is that it looks very similar to the ones shown in the 1909 posters on that sight.  Can't find any identification markings/stamps on the lever boss.  I entered the serial number and it stated 1918 or later.  The gun is still in great condition, would like to close in on a more precise date and possible value.

Offline cowboy_97

« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2009, 01:36:34 PM »
Can anyone tell me when my Savage 99 was manufactured? The ser. # is 1027144.
Thanks.
I would also like to know what year my 99f in 300 savage is #1019988

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2011, 11:32:32 AM »
Can anyone tell me when my Savage 99 was manufactured? The ser. # is 1027144.
Thanks.
I would also like to know what year my 99f in 300 savage is #1019988

Texgun & cowboy_97: (better late than never, aka zombie response ;) ) IMO, most likely 1961 or 1962 - check the lever boss date code for an "M" (1961) or an "N" (1962)

FWIW - As earlier posted by SavageT :

Because both the SN's are post 1 million it can be safely said your rifles were made after 1960.

1) In 1960, Savage Arms Corp. factory moved from Chicopee Falls, MA to Westfield MA.

New models of the 99 were added:  99E economy carbine, and 99DL deluxe rifle (99DL with new improved trigger sear, and sliding thumb safety on top tang).

2) In 1963, Savage Arms Corp. becomes a division of the Emhart Corp.

3) In 1965, new models 99 added. 
99C - the first major change to the original 1899 design; added a detachable box magazine with a push-release button on receiver right-hand side.
99DE and 99PE - deluxe engraved presentation models.

Impressed checkering was added to all models at this time (except PE)
There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline DaveW

« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2011, 06:29:00 AM »
I picked up a 99e in 308 winchester last year and have been trying to figure out when it was made. Used the handy link that was posted, typed in the serial # and found out is was made in 1935. How cool is that! It's such a nice gun, light weight and small, and fits my petite wife perfectly. She's going to try to kill an elk with it this year. Be pretty cool to put an elk down with a seventy five year old gun! I can't wait.

Offline DaveW

« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2011, 07:49:51 AM »
Now I'm confused! The serial # gave me a DOM of 1935, but the cartridge wasn't invented until 1952. Any ideas? It was made in Westfield Mass. so that puts it after 1960. Oh well, still a great gun, just don't get the serial number thing.

Offline glink

« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2011, 05:44:58 AM »
Hi Guy

Have been scanning the web trying to get a line on the ID of a 99 I just picked up. 

On the Barrell, which is 21 inches long;
Savage Model  99E Series A CAL. 308 Win
    Westfield Mass. USA

Serial Number on Left Side of Receiver near bottom D976XXX

Can't seem to find a lever boss code. Do I need to remove stock?
Removed forearm; looks like a letter S stamped on bottom of barrel near receiver.

Stock is Pistol grip with no endcap Monte Carlo. Stock is checkered on sides of pistol grip.
Forearm is checkered on bottom.

Offline artie61

« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2011, 11:21:35 AM »
have a model 99 serial# 1053048    lever boss code of 12n any idea of year it was made