Author Topic: Savage 99 dates of manufacture  (Read 109159 times)

Offline Texgun

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Savage 99 dates of manufacture
« on: September 26, 2004, 06:09:52 PM »
Can anyone tell me when my Savage 99 was manufactured? The ser. # is 1027144.
Thanks.

Offline Ron T.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 09:43:03 AM »
Sorry, Texgun...

I must have missed your question on my previous visit to this forum.  I posted information on the "lever boss code" in this forum on another question of the age of a Model 99... here is my previous post, I hope it helps you:

In 1949, Savage began stamping a tiny, lightly impressed oval on the lower, front side of the "lever boss".

The “lever boss” is the extension of the lower part of the receiver into which the lever fits and rotates.  Inside the oval, Savage stamped the letter "A" together with other numbers which are apparently inspector’s numbers.

On many Model 99 rifles, this “oval” is indistinct or difficult to read as are the letters and numbers inside the oval. On my own late model “EG”, serial #709XXX, made in 1953, only the upper case letter “E” and the rear half of the oval’s circumference (which looks like a large, faint, backwards letter "C") barely show on the lever boss. The front half of the oval’s circumference and whatever is inside the oval in front of the letter “E” are indistinguishable.

The letters “O” and “Q” were skipped and not used due to their similar appearance.

Here is a complete list of the Lever Boss Codes and their corresponding year of manufacture:
A= 1949
B= 1950
C= 1951
D= 1952
E= 1953
F= 1954
G= 1955
H= 1956
I= 1957
J= 1958
K= 1959
L= 1960
M= 1961
N= 1962
O= SKIPPED
P=1963
Q= SKIPPED
R= 1964
S= 1965
T= 1966
U= 1967
V= 1968
W= 1969
X= 1970

Strength & Honor…

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline leverfan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2004, 08:11:40 PM »
Ron-

Many thanks for doing my job for me.  I should have spotted that and steered him over to that earlier post.  Thanks also for tracking down the info and posting it here.
NRA life member

Offline Ric

Mine is different?
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2004, 03:50:07 AM »
Thanks for listing this info. When I looked at my 99 in 250-3000 the small stamping you mention is there however, it looks like two small "o" side by side, no letters. Used a site glass for better look see too. Serial number is in the 630,000 range, open sites only with checkering making me think its an EG of late 1940's or early 50's perhaps. Wood is upgraded or just plain gorgous! Also, my friend has on with very clear letter "Q" which you say is not used? Help!

RIC

Offline leverfan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2004, 10:16:13 AM »
Ric-

According to a site I just checked, your rifle was made after 1950, but I couldn't find the exact date.  It's still a fun site to browse, and it might help folks pin down manufacture dates for their older rifles.

www.savage99.com/dates.htm
NRA life member

Offline Ric

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2004, 10:41:23 AM »
Yep, typed in the number andthere she was! Very cool and much apprciated. Thedouble zero's had me confused.

Ric

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 03:46:24 AM »
I could use a little help guys. I checked the lettering on the lever boss, the circle is evident and the embossing in that circle is "10R". My 99 is in great shape, has a metal buttplate and wonderful wood in perfect condition with what appears to be cut checkering with 2 diamond patterns at the pistol grip section and a gold plated trigger. The gun is in .308 and has the indicator visible on the left side of the receiver that shows how hany rounds are loaded. The serial number is 1070xxx and I have had it at least 35 years years and think I only fired it about 10 times. I bought it used. It is a Model 99M. Any idea what year it was made with that serial number and "10P" on the lever boss? Any idea what it might be worth? I don't want to sell it just want to know about it...Thanks for any help....<><.... :grin:

I ran the number on the above link and I got it was made after 1951. Is it possible to date the year of manufacture a bit closer?......Thanks....

OK, putting 2 and 2 together the R indicates 1964, which is after 1951, could it be that the gun was made in 1964? What does the "10" in front of the "R" indicate? Did they have the rotary magazine w/indicator in 1964? How is the rotary magazine compared to a stacked magazine? Any pro's and con's......Thanks for any info.....
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline savageT

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2004, 05:27:44 AM »
MSP Ret,
Well.......I hope I can furnish you a better idea of the model and date of mfg.
* Because the s/n is post 1 million it can be safely said your rifle was made after 1960.  
1) In 1960, Savage Arms Corp. factory moved frpm Chicopee Falls, MA to Westfield MA.
New models of the 99 were added:  99E economy carbine, and 99DL deluxe rifle (99DL with new improved trigger sear, and sliding thumb safety on top tang).
2) In 1963, Savage Arms Corp. becomes a division of the Emhart Corp., involved in hardware, glass making machinery, packaging machinery, and refrigeration equipment.
3) In 1965, new models 99 added.  99C - the first major change to the original 1899 design; added a detachable box magazine with a push-release button on receiver right-hand side.
99DE and 99PE - deluxe engraved presentation models.
Impressed checkering added to all models at this time (except PE).

Generally speaking the post 1 million numbers are considered an indication of a down-turn in quality, but you say you have a rotary magazine (which are considered to be a BIG plus over the clip model), and cut checkering as well.  You have a .308 caliber which Savage offered in twelve models: 99R, RS, EG, F, DL, E, C, DE, PE, 95, A, CD.....later only in the 99-C.
Hint....you might find a model stamped on the barrel, under the forearm wood.
One last thing: The address on the STYLE 9 made from 1946- 1960 were 438,000 - 1,094,000  "SAVAGE ARMS CORPORATION
                                CHICOPEE FALLS, MASS. U.S.A."
 STYLE 10
1,094,000 - 1960     " SAVAGE ARMS
                            WESTFIELD MASS. U.S.A."

Jim
savageT........Have you hugged a '99 lately?

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2004, 06:20:21 AM »
Thanks for that info SavageT, My 99 says Westfield Mass on the barrel, has the top tang sliding safety and is according to the markings on the upper left forward part of the receiver it is a 99M. As I said it is serial number 10708xx, which would indicate a model 10 but it has the wrong address for that. Do I have a "transition" gun here since the serial number would indicate that it was made in Chicopee but the barrel says Westfield? I am a bit confused. Also I did not see the model 99M listed in your post, and .308 was listed as made in that model? What is it? Thanks....<><.... :grin:

It is in wonderful condition, has fine high gloss bluing, beautiful color case hardened lever in addition to the gold trigger but perhaps they all do, I am not familiar with these fine guns....

(edited for spelling...)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline savageT

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2004, 09:44:20 AM »
MSP Ret,
Now we're getting into the detectve work......we'll need for you to start noting some important features on your model as follows:
First though, as you noted from my first response, there was no model 99M made....however it was marked.  You have a model 99DL.

Now lets start at the muzzle and work back:
1) Barrel style and length 24"(lightweight taper)
2) Sights: front and ramp....gold bead on raised ramp
    rear: folding semi-buckhorn rear w/ sliding elevator
3) TAPPED or not for scope mounts?
4) Forearm: Straight tapered with checkering and rounded tip
5) ButtStock: Capped, checkered pistol grip, Monte-Carlo comb., sling swivels.
6)  ButtPlate: Aluminum alloy
7)  SAVAGE MODEL 99 (on frame ring top)
8)  Model Designation-  Most marked MODEL 99-M (barrel RHS or frame ring)
9) Barrel Address: Reference earlier address data
10) SERIAL NUMBER: 1,000,000 - Late model serial # located on left side of frame on lower edge, in newer "A" series"
11) FEATURES: Improved trigger - sear mech. for crisp pull.  Damascened Bolt Finish. Sliding Safety on Tang top. Drilled for scope mounts. GOLD-Plated Trigger.  Most model DL's seen are marked "Model 99-M.", on either right or left sides of frame, or barrel right side.  This marking was for production reasons, and is not cataloged.

Jim

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2004, 10:47:06 AM »
OK and thanks for the continuing help, here goes...

1) barrel style and length 22" tapered

2) sights, front ramp (2" x .25") both front and rear sights have been removed and replaced with sight blanks.

3) The reciever is drilled and tapped (from the factory but just a guess) and Redfield scope blocks attached and a scope mounted...

4) forearm as described

5) yes

6) yes

7) forward scope block covers top of frame ring

8) "SAVAGE  MODEL 99M" on left side of barrel frame ring

9) barrel address - "Savage Arms Corporation, Westfield , Mass.  USA"

10) serial number 10708xx on bottom rear of reciever just forward of   lever boss.

11) Bolt finish non damascased, sliding safety on tang top, gold plated trigger and case hardened lever. High gloss deep blue on all other surcases. steel cap on stock pistol grip and alluminum alloy buttplate.

What is it and what year...Thanks... (P.S. yes the barrel is 22" original)

Offline savageT

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2004, 11:27:38 AM »
My guess.....and it's just that, is 1960 (early) perhaps a barrel made from later inventory from Westfield Mass., but earlier receiver because of the lack of demascased bolt. The model 99M on the left side of frame is an earlier stamping.  Now, how you measure the barrel is tricky......If you measure from where the barrel threads into the receiver ring it will come out shorter than listed????

If I were you I would spend the $15 to ask the Savage Historian to give you an authenticated letter....keep it and I'm sure it will help out in valuation down the line. Include a check and s/n , model 99DL and caliber. I don't believe Mr. Callahan will give you a value though.  That is pretty much up to you and the buyer. but going by your description, I would say probably in the $500-600 range.

Write to JT Callahan
53 Old Quarry Road
Westfield MA 01085.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2004, 02:28:25 PM »
Thanks for all your great help SavageT, I measured the barrel from the crown to where the bolt locks up with the reciever, a true measurement and not just to to outside edge of the reciever ring. It is actually a factory 22" barrel. I am going to go ahead and have it dated, probably won't take it out banging around in the woods though, it is to pretty for that....<><.... :grin:

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2004, 09:50:15 AM »
MSP Ret…

You wrote:  “OK, putting 2 and 2 together the R indicates 1964, which is after 1951, could it be that the gun was made in 1964? What does the "10" in front of the "R" indicate?”

The “10” in the lever boss oval is the inspector’s number, and the “R”, as you surmised, indicates the year (1964) your rifle was manufactured.

The “authority” on Savage Model 99’s is a fella named Doug Murray.  He wrote and published a book called “The Ninety-Nine” which is “THE” authority on Savage Model 99’s.

To get an personally autographed copy of Murray’s book, send a check or money order for $30 (U.S.) together with a note asking him to send you a copy of his book, “The Ninety-Nine”, to:

Doug Murray
20 Polo Lane
Westbury, N.Y. 11590

Delivery, via U.S. Postal Service, will take about 3 weeks.  Doug pays the return mail charges.

Murray’s book is a wealth of information on the various models of the Model 99.  If you are a Model 99 “fan”, this is a “must have” item for your library.

Strength & Honor…

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline savageT

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2004, 10:08:45 AM »
Ron T.,
Thanks for bringing that information to light about Doug Murray's book, Ron T.  I will admit that is how I'm able to furnish this information from Doug's book.  I also conclude that through MSP Ret.'s information on the 22" barrel that inr 1963 they used the 22" barrel.  In 1965 they began to use the cheesy impressed checkering so I think we've got the date of mfg. down pretty close 1964.
Jim

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2004, 03:50:20 PM »
SavageT and Ron T. (2 T's?), thanks for the great information and all the assistance. You two have been a great help....<><.... :grin:

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2004, 11:12:36 AM »
Those of us who admire and use the fine Savage Model 99 lever-action rifle are like a brotherhood... I'm happy to share the "T" with "Savage T".
:toast:

Those of us who go so far as to buy Doug Murray's book are REAL "99 nuts"... we're definitely "hooked". :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Offline Piney

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2005, 06:18:56 AM »
I also have Savage Model 99 that I am having a heck of a time trying to date. Your help would be greatly appreciated:

Savage Model 99 - Ser.#41xxx - 24"barrel - Utica, N.Y.

Steel butt plate with letters SVG - case hardened lever

Checkered forearm and stock

Front side of lever boss stamped .3 - nothing stamped on inside

Thanks!
Disabled Vietnam Vet USN 70-72.

Offline IntrepidWizard

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2005, 07:25:59 AM »
Me too,I have a modern -30 year old with mag in 308 and a old 300 that say 300 Savage and the in  stamp after than on the barrel SP inside a cyrcle,serial # 55___________?
Government is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force! Like fire, it is
a dangerous servant and a fearful master. -- George Washington

Offline Piney

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2005, 07:54:11 AM »
On the barrel of my 99 it has .300 and the sp in a circle also. Wonders me?

Offline IntrepidWizard

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2005, 08:01:01 AM »
Schnable forend,rotary mag.and a lever safety on mine.
Government is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force! Like fire, it is
a dangerous servant and a fearful master. -- George Washington

Offline savageT

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2005, 10:16:37 AM »
Quote from: Piney
I also have Savage Model 99 that I am having a heck of a time trying to date. Your help would be greatly appreciated:

Savage Model 99 - Ser.#41xxx - 24"barrel - Utica, N.Y.

Steel butt plate with letters SVG - case hardened lever

Checkered forearm and stock

Front side of lever boss stamped .3 - nothing stamped on inside

Thanks!

Piney,
According to Murray's book serial numbers 19,000 thru 200,000 were model 1899-F's made from 1899 to 1919.  You don't say what caliber so will list them:
1899- .303 Savage
1900- .30-30 available
1903- .25-35, .32-40, .38-55 added
barrel: 20 inch only
Buttstock- Straight grip carbine-type. P/G available (to 1911).
Buttplate- Steel carbine-type

Offline Piney

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2005, 11:30:09 AM »
Thanks for responding Savage T - it is .300 cal.

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2005, 10:29:20 PM »
Piney...

Savage Arms introduced the .300 Savage cartridge in 1920, but according to the information I have, a rifle with a 41XXX serial number was made in 1904.  So we have a "mystery" here which is NOT at all unusual when it comes to trying to date Savage Model 99 rifles.   :?

Sorry that I could not be of more help to you.   :(

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Offline Piney

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2005, 01:12:56 AM »
Thanks Ron T appreciate the info -  it had me stumped.

Offline savageT

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2005, 01:41:01 PM »
Piney,
Let's see if we can get a little more information and go by other things rather than the serial number........just assuming there is a missing digit in that s/n.....ps. remove forearm for possible stampings.
Now, get out the notebook and start:
barrel length and (contour lightweight or std.)
List all stampings on barrel and receiver and location
Describe Forearm (schnoble or rounded tip)
Finish.....oiled/checkered, or lacquer
Buttstock finish and pistolgrip?
Buttplate: Steel or Aluminum and type of embossing
Sights:  Drilled receiver for scope? Front and rear (and check out Savage99.com  Site to see photos)
Safety: on lever or tang?

OK, go to work!!!!!!!
Jim

Offline Piney

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2005, 03:14:12 PM »
1. First off the serial # is 41xxxx (left off 1 digit)

2. Forearm removed the number 2 bottom of barrel near breech - on forearm wood 416 over 355 on round that fits to breech

3. barrel stamping - top of barrel Savage Arms Corporation under it Utica N.Y. -Right side barrel high pressure steel proof tested - Left side barrel .300 Savage sp in an oval - barrel length 23" to ring 24" to breech

4. receiver stamping -Savage 99 on top of receiver ring - Ser # bottom receiver - and .3 stamped front side barrel lever boss

5. Forearm schnoble - oil/checkered

6. buttstock oil/checkered - pistol grip

7. Buttplate - steel - letters sVg

8. safety on tang? safety locks into lever

9. receiver drilled with 2 holes behind safety indicator

Offline savageT

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2005, 03:07:43 PM »
piney,
The Utica, NY produced style 8 M99's produced  from s/n 332,000 - 438,000 from 1930 - 1946.  From your description of these features (you really have to loosen-up with a few more numbers on the s/n!!).  I tried using Savage99.com's site to get an estimate of the year of mfg. but it wont accept 41,XXXX, or 41X,XXX.....just try substituting the last two digits and try that. I believe you may have a model EG in .300Savage w/ 24" med weight barrel.  Do the forearm and buttstock have serial numbers matching?

Just remember as with all American gun mfgs. that civilian production was shut-down during the WWII war. Then 1946, production was shifted to Chicopee Falls, Mass.  The buttplate  "sVg" was produced from s/n 292,500 in 1926 to 416,000 in 1941.

Jim

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2005, 05:15:51 PM »
Piney...

Ahhhhhhh sooooo... 41X,XXX, now that is a different story.

As SavageT suggested, another number in that serial number would help, but according to my records, 416,000 was made in 1941... and 416000+ was made in 1942.

Savage claims no rifles were made during WW II, but there is proof this claim is inaccurate.  However, production during the WW2 was truly very, very limited.

I'm beginning to think (like SavageT) that you might have what is called a "late model EG".  The early model EG's didn't have any checkering.  However, both models had a schnoble "nose" on their forearms.

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Offline Piney

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2005, 02:15:26 AM »
Savage T - Ron T:  You guys are some pretty good Savage detectives and I think you have pretty well nailed this.  Went back over the gun  looking for more clues and found on the front of the receiver (faintly stamped) the letters E - G. Yes, stock had numbers that matched forearm.

The rifle was inherited from my father-in-law at his passing. I have shot it and it shoots too high (can not adjust with current sights). I believe the front sight is too high (possibly not the right one,however original).

My belief is that this gun is kinda like the old Johnny Cash song (One piece at a time) they used what they had on hand at the time to make the gun.

Thanks for your help and time!