Author Topic: .32 Magnum for self defense?  (Read 1470 times)

Offline Mrserenity

• Trade Count: (0)
.32 Magnum for self defense?
« on: September 27, 2004, 09:39:17 AM »
How do you feel about the .32 magnum revolver for self defense?  And snub nose versus 4 inch barrel?

Offline Savage

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2004, 10:28:58 AM »
I wouldn't to out and buy one for a defensive handgun. It's about the same size/weight as a good 38/357 snubbie. I personally would much prefer the 38spl over the 32 mag. If it was the only handgun I had, you bet I'd carry it! Of course, I would feel the same way about a 22.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Mrserenity

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2004, 10:14:13 AM »
Ok, i'm convinced.  I will go to the range and try the .38 revolver.  Hopefully, I can handle the recoil.  I'm a small male 5'2, 130lbs with small hands (smaller than some women's hands)  :) .  I was told by the gun dealer that the .38 snub nose would probably fit my hands better.  But, also that the .38 four inch barrel would have less recoil.  I will be using the revolver for home defense, so which do you suggest snub or 4 inch?  I was told the .32 magum has much less recoil but more muzzle flash and it's much louder when shot.  I remember going to the gun range recently and this cop next to me was shooting.  I had on ear protection but every time he shot I could hear it loud and clear.  So, I went over and asked him what are you shooting, a canon!  I think it was a .40 caliber semi-auto.  So, I want something that's not too loud and doesn't have a lot of recoil but powerful enough to get the job done.

Offline michbob

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2004, 11:29:22 AM »
The biggest aspect of self defense is knowing your gun and being able to hit your target.  If you are comfortable with, say, a 2" barrel .32 Mag, go for it.  And PRACTICE, that's the important part.

As for the .32 Mag being loud...I'm not sure I agree with that.  All guns are loud, but factory loads in .32 don't seem overly loud to me.  I think people might be recalling the blast of the old .32-20, which was reportedly fierce in a revolver.

For self defense, I'd go with Federal's 85 gr.  JHP.  In my .32, it's terrifically accurate.  And I'd get a speedloader or two.

Sincerely,
Michbob

Offline Savage

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2004, 12:27:51 PM »
Mrserenity,
For home defence, I go with a 4" barrel. It's easier to shoot than a snubbie. A "K" frame Smith or the like size Taurus should do just fine!
If you can handle a 32 mag, you can handle a 38. The initial purchase price of a good new/used 38 is quite reasonable. The 38 ammo is much, much cheaper than the 32 mag fodder, and there are many more ammo choices available. Still, you should go with your preferences.
Savage

Offline Savage

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2004, 07:37:14 AM »
Right Chris! How could I forget about the Ruger revolvers!!! I have a sweet 6" SS Security Six.
Savage

Offline Savage

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2004, 02:57:07 PM »
Chris,
Don't have but five Ruger handguns:
(2) 22/45s
(1) Security Six
(1) Blackhawk 45/45LC
(1) Mk l
I shoot the Security Six and the two 22/45s in falling plate matches.  All and all, the Rugers don't make it out of the safe too often. Wait!!! I forgot I have a KP95-DC in the safe somewhere! Make that six Rugers!
Savage

Offline Greeenriver

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2004, 03:49:58 PM »
Personaly, I favor the 32H&R mag over the 38spc, but only 'cause I shoot 32mag's for Cowboy Action Shooting.

The .32mag will be a good defensive round using jacketed holow points and the bigest advantage I can see about the 32 is in the small pistols, the 32 is usualy a 6 shot and the 38 is a 5 shot in the same size frame.

for home defense, a pump or side by side shotgun is the best gun.

Greeenriver(What ever you decide on, shoot it a LOT and get to know it well)
Most of life's problems can be handled by a sutiable application of high explosives

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2004, 03:55:09 AM »
For a house gun, a snubbie makes good sense as it's a lot harder for someone to take it away from you without losing fingers.  A four inch is just long enough for a bad guy to get a hold of and either tie it up or wrest it away from you.  My choice was a 3" Smith M-65, enough barrel for decent ballistics, but not too long.  Whatever you buy make sure your hand likes it, or you'll have a hard time shooting it well.  And as for the 38 vs 32 debate, no contest.  The 32 ain't no magnum, no matter what the marketing people called it!

PJ
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline Paul Barnard

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2004, 02:43:08 AM »
I think your decision is easy.  Go with a 38 or 357 that fits your hands well.  Ammo is very cheap and easy to find.  Practice with low power loads until you become proficient.  The 4" barrel is the way to go.  Good quality used 38/357's can be found anywhere and for a good price.

Paul