Author Topic: Sighting in cap'n ball  (Read 763 times)

Offline Rum River

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Sighting in cap'n ball
« on: September 29, 2004, 05:07:13 PM »
I have a pair of '58 Pietta Remingtons that shoot 4" low and 2" left at 25 yards. I plan on carefully filing down the front sight to raise point of impact. To adjust the windage, what if I were to carefully file the right side of the front sight?

I also have a pair of Pietta '60 Armys. They both shoot roughly 12" high and 4" left at 25 yards. I'm thinking of cutting the rear sight notch deeper in the hammer, but I'm concerned I would have to remove too much material to compensate for 12". As far as the windage, I'd be concerned about the same thing. Any thoughts?

Oh, and one more thing. Has anyone experienced a significant change in point of impact when switching from the cap'n ball cylinder to one of the cartridge conversions?

Thanks in advance.
Rum River

"It was a FRIENDLY fight".     "Hmph, I've never been in one a them."

Offline Flint

sighting
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2004, 06:33:29 PM »
Answer on the SASS wire....
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Rum River

• Avid Poster
Sighting in cap'n ball
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004, 01:35:55 AM »
Flint,

Got the response.

I believe I will have a replacement front sight dovetailed in, and go from there.

Any comments as to a point of impact change between a cap'n ball cylinder and a cartridge conversion cylinder?
Rum River

"It was a FRIENDLY fight".     "Hmph, I've never been in one a them."

Offline Flint

sighting
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2004, 05:37:59 AM »
Close enough point of impact that I didn't have to change anything, but I use a 200 gr bullet with a light load (5.0 gr Titegroup).  Last weekend I didn't read the label, so I accidently used my reloads of 250 gr bullet with 5.5gr Titegroup and they shot high from recoil.  This was with the 5-1/2 inch Ubertis, and they are pretty light weight guns.

With black powder cartridges, I would still opt for a light bullet and a filler for a lighter load to keep the POA and recoil under control.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life