Author Topic: AR-10  (Read 759 times)

Offline Elwood

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
AR-10
« on: September 30, 2004, 05:39:07 PM »
My nephew is going to come out to Arizona at the tail of October for deer hunting he does not have a rifle yet. He is ready to pick up a AR-10. I know there are variations made by Armalite/Eagle, Bushmaster, and DPMS. I like the Armalite AR-10A4 :blaster:  Who or what do you recommend?
Elwood P. Dowd
Vae Victis

Offline aimless

• Trade Count: (0)
AR-10
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2004, 09:43:04 AM »
The DPMS is very accurate, but too heavy, it's a benchrest gun. There have been some problems with the magazines in the DPMS guns. I do hear there is a shorter barrel version out, but have not seen it.

The Bushmasters are still pretty new. I cannot see any reason for the much higher price on the Bushmaster v. Armalite, and I certainly like Bushmaster's AR-15s, but for a .308 I'd get the Armalite (and I did :grin: )

Offline Sandhills Writer

AR-10
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 04:40:38 PM »
I too have heard that the DPMS is very accurate. Also, what are the problems with the magazines. I have heard that you can use a modified M-14 20 rounder. Is that true?

Offline hoser

AR-10
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2004, 07:29:18 AM »
Just bought a Bushmaster and am very pleased with it.  I chose it over the others for several reasons: uses cheap (like $5.00 each) and available stock FAL mags,  has ambidexterous safety, mag release, and bolt release, no latch on bolt handle, very accurate, and Bushmaster quality.  Got the 20" barrel and the Ace stock and haven't had a single problem yet.  I have a couple Bushmaster AR-15's and have never had a single problem on either so I anticipate the same quality on the 308.  Liked the Armalite but the mag issue is a hassle and expense.  Same with the DPMS.