Author Topic: Handguns at Auctions  (Read 590 times)

Offline Win50

• Trade Count: (0)
Handguns at Auctions
« on: October 02, 2004, 08:20:20 PM »
Been to several auction sales the last few months where at least one and sometimes several handguns are presented.  They are bid up and sold with the condition that the buyer goes to the local sheriff's office to get the "papers" filled out and returns to pick up the gun at the auctioneers office.  There is no reference to previously existing "papers"...usually someone's estate.

But, when I called the SO, the dispatcher gives conflicting information.  A nearby deputy gives me different information still.  It would seem that they are providing just enough information for me to feel comfortable in getting the bid and the gun and then get pounced upon when I try to do the right thing.  Some say I don't have to have a permit to own the gun, just a permit to buy it.  Am always getting double talked into confusion  :?  

I live in the Oklahoma-Kansas-Missouri (deliberately vague!!) area and don't want trouble...just the chance to get a good unit when the opportunity comes along...  

And...along the same line...what would be the difference between this scenario and finding a special item at a gun show?

Tried to check this out on the net and not having much luck getting the specifics (in understandable English vs. legalese, that is).  There aren't sections easily recognizable as "non-licensee can (or cannot) purchase handguns at sales or gun shows...or CAN if he does A, B, C etc".  Yet, I see "regular folks" bidding and getting these firearms regularly.  Just wanting something in black and white...as in "how to purchase legally so you don't get busted".  (I KNOW how to do this with a gunshop etc so please don't go there).

Had to let some really nice pieces go way too cheap by being "Too scared to bid"    :?

Win50
Win50
Beretta 96FS .40 w/CTC Laser Grips
Win Mod 50 w/vent rib
Win Mod 94
Rem 700 ADL .270 w/Leupold
Lookin for .357 wheel and Legacy

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
Handguns at Auctions
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2004, 03:27:19 AM »
I'd talk to the other folks who are buying/bidding and ask THEM how they handle it.  Asking cops/dispatchers is nothing but trouble, half of either group don't know what they're talking about.  Go to the station, and talk to the watch commander.  Write down what he says, and have him verify it's right.  Then follow his instructions carefully.  If anything goes south, you've got them to cover your butt.

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline rockbilly

Handguns at Auctions
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004, 04:09:27 PM »
The law will differ from state to state, but here in Texas, even though it's an auction, you are still purchasing the gun from an individual and no permit or waiting period is required.  it's kinda like buying at a yard sale, just pay and go. I've been told that OK. now permits a Texan with a valid concealed permit to purchase firearms there with no waiting period.

If you can't get a straight answer from the local SO, go to your state police, they should be able to guide you in the right direction.

By the way, In my opinion you are looking at a good source for quality firearms at a decent price.  I try to make all the yard sales and auctions that advertise guns.  I have made some great buys over the years.  But by the same token, I have seen guns sell for three-four times what they were actually worth.  I recommend you buy a good gun value book, study it, take it with you and be careful when grading the guns, don't allow yourself to get caught up in the biding and pay more than a gun is worth.

Good luck.......I hope you can fill your safe at auctions/yard sales.

Offline Win50

Handguns at auctions
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2004, 05:35:00 PM »
I know Rockbilly...I've seen some seriouly fine Ruger's and S&W's go for 200-250...I just stood there stunned!

I understand there is a huge show in OK each year (or several times a year) and would like to go take a look but don't want to buy something and then not be able to make it legal without "committing a crime"...end up that I can't carry it, use it, sell it, paper it...just stuck with it.

I used to have good contacts in the HP but they've all retired or been transferred away.  And, I'm afraid that any "theoretical" questions I could ask one of the new guys would only raise their suspicions of what they think I MIGHT have done already and invite a ram through the door at 0200  New guys just love kickin in doors...:shock:

I guess I'll just have to keep "sniffin" around and literally keep my ear to the rail on this one for a while... :wink:

Thanks for the information.

Be safe.
Win50
Win Mod 50 w/vent rib
Win Mod 94

Offline Sekiar

Handguns at Auctions
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2004, 04:08:42 AM »
Just making a guess, I also live in the same three state area, that the state is Mizzori and it the old Jim Crow law that is causing you the problem.

Offline Win50

Handguns at auctions
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2004, 04:17:45 AM »
Regardless of the state or version of the law...what is the solution that these people seem to know that I don't?   I'd really like NOT to have to pay twice the price for the same item if I could get it at one of the sales, shows, or auctions.  And, for that matter...if the sale area is out of my state, what other problems could I create for myself...seems like interstate transport of a firearm etc... so how are all these people doing this.  I'm told some of the shows in OK can take up to several acres and see 200-300 THOUSAND people in 1-2 days...you can't tell me that all these folks came to L@@K  :wink:   Looks like a prime spot for a sting!  :eek:   I don't have anything against the retailers but MAN...they want 2-3 times the price for the same piece!  It doesn't matter to me if theres a little wear on the blue or a little dimple in the hand grip...most of what I'm looking for is for USE...not collection.  Guess it's like a new car.  You hate to pay the extra price for new and then obscess about getting the first little ding in it.  Whereas, getting the one with the dings already in it for considerably less, you just get in and enjoy the ride!!  Too much old school frugality, I guess.  Still don't know how to do this and stay out of trouble.  Any suggestions?
Win50
Win Mod 50 w/vent rib
Win Mod 94

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Handguns at Auctions
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2004, 03:15:13 AM »
You could also talk to a couple of reputable gun dealers (FFL holders) in the area. They are usually as knowledgeable about the laws as the local police and might be able to tell you the requirements for such a private transfer. They may try to sell you their services though.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline rockbilly

Handguns at Auctions
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2004, 11:10:17 AM »
Just a thought...........you know you can pull down all the firearms laws pertaining to the state in question from the web.  The research may cost a little time, but if it puts you at ease it's worth it.  That's state law, when you get into the federal laws (and perhaps Nework and Newersy) you will need several Wall Street Lawyers to figure it out.

Offline Win50

Handguns at auctions
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2004, 05:22:52 PM »
I know, Rockbilly...I've done some of the state law perusal...even they get pretty convoluted.  You think you're keeping up as you read the paragraph or section ... when you get to the end, you couldn't tell someone what you just read in exchange for your own life  :?  

If you can find it buried in the muck, the fed stuff must be even more jagged.  All this probably would explain why the locals have such a difficult time relaying the information in an accurate fashion.  And, this would certainly explain why it is wise NOT to step into such a quagmire knowing that if you throw a couple of power-crazed enforcement types, a few poor attorneys, and a judge who has his own interpretation of these laws...booohwaaaahhhaaa...leave me out of it  :eek:  :eek:  

Hence the reason for my question...
Win50
Win Mod 50 w/vent rib
Win Mod 94