Author Topic: Which Book Would You Suggest and Why?  (Read 651 times)

Offline Fred McIntire

• Trade Count: (31)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.FredMcIntire.Com
Which Book Would You Suggest and Why?
« on: October 03, 2004, 06:19:30 PM »
If you could suggest only one book to read on hunting Whitetail deer, which one would you suggest and why?

Thanks for your input.

Fred

Offline sgtt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004, 01:37:44 AM »
"The Still Hunter"  by Van Dyke

It goes beyond theory.
"Freedom, for some, is problematic.  It does not grant emancipation from responsibility."

Offline snowdog

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004, 05:37:22 PM »
Years  ago I read a book by  I think his name was Larry Benoit or
  something like that from the North east.   really good, book  he has
  a couple of sons that  also made names  hunting deer I think they were
   in Maine.
30-30....45/70...... does anything else matter?

Offline papellet

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2004, 12:55:42 AM »
Fred,

Well I know you said hunting whitetail and I have read the Benoit book as mentioned and its very good. I would also suggest "Whitetail Country" by John Ozoga. He is one of the countrys top deer biologists. The book is broken down into the habits of the deer through the four seasons. The reason I would recommend this book, if one understands the whitetail habits, makes one a better hunter. Plus the pictures are superb.

Offline bigbore442001

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
    • Bigbore's Outdoors.
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2004, 02:27:15 PM »
Hmm. This answer isn't a smart one but the more I think about it the more it makes sense.

My dad commented that he was a better hunter when he didn't read a lot of books on deer hunting. He honed his skills of being a hunter and took many deer. He said that the more he read, teh less he knew. I think that the observations of some people fit the circumstance they are in. What works for one hunter won't necessarily work for another.

I will comment that Larry Benoit's book is really good to read but their style of hunting isn't for everyone. The Benoit's from Vermont are famous for their big bucks. They have developed a style of hunting that involves tracking down deer in snow. Obviously that ain't happening in South Carolina.  Also, you need a lot of room to track a deer down. So the book is geared to a hunting method that would work well in Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Upstate New York as well as the upper Midwest and Ontario.

Offline Fred McIntire

• Trade Count: (31)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.FredMcIntire.Com
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2004, 04:51:17 PM »
I checked out the information on the classic book "The Still Hunter" by Van Dyke. It seems like a must have for the hunting library. I'm pretty sure I'll get it.

Bigbore, I agree with your Dad; however, it seems like I have forgotten quite a bit here of late. I find myself questioning a lot of things and I can't find the right answers when I try to answer WHY?

Thanks for some really good input.

Fred

Offline snowdog

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2004, 10:21:07 AM »
LOL   last I checked........Indiana can count on snow falling, across the
           state.

Offline bigbore442001

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
    • Bigbore's Outdoors.
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2004, 03:11:33 PM »
I'll agree with the snow in the Hoosier State, but I am not sure if you'ld be able to follow a deer track for miles without running into private property issues.

Teh Benoits as well as others who hunt northern New England do so on the large tracts of unposted paper mill land. So you can find a track and follow it for days if need be. A close friend of mine shot a nice buck in eastern Maine that dressed out at a registered 262 pounds. He hunted it for five days.

Offline snowdog

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2004, 06:26:26 PM »
ya agotta good point there.

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2004, 01:06:11 PM »
Greg Miller's book:  proven whitetail tactics.     It's interesting and seems to have been based on a lot of successful years deer hunting.
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2004, 03:19:47 PM »
Just to put some more perspective on what bigbore442001 said about the land the Benoits hunt.  Here in New Hampshire there are spots you can walk for the better part of 25 miles right into Canada without seeing anything but logging roads.  Vermont is much the same way, if not more so.  So Ill second that the Benoit way is not for everyone.  Ive only glanced the book quickly and they are also fans of jumping and shooting deer on the run.  While Im not saying Im against that, I preferre stationary targets and well placed shots.
Ill also second Greg Miller.  Hes a joe like you and I.  Not some lucky sunuva buck who gets paid to hunt year round.  But in the end I reccomend reading as many books as you can get your hands on.  Every author will have some useful information.  But its good to judge how a wide spectrum of hunters do things so you can pick what is best to start with.
Brian M.
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline Steelhead

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2004, 01:17:37 PM »
Not a hunting book, but I would get "The Deer of North America" author is Leonard Lee Rue III.
Deactivated for behavior in response to a warning from GB.

Offline willysjeep134

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2004, 06:15:02 AM »
The Deer Hunters' Bible

My gradeschool library used to have it. I forget who had written it, but I remember it was very very thick and informative.
If God wanted plastic stocks he would have made plastic trees.