Author Topic: Just curious.... Where everyone is located?  (Read 117075 times)

Offline loneoak

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Just curious.... Where everyone is located?
« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2008, 08:38:02 AM »
Cat Whisperer - I have a one pounder (1 5/16 bore) about 24" long. I understand it was fabricated from a hydroelectric dam turbine bolt by Mr Mike Moore in Oregon. I usually shoot a cast lead ball pushed out by 16 drams(one ounce) of 1f GOEX, or blanks made from 32 drams of Pyrodex with a green grass wad on top.  My stepson built the 42% scale model of a 1841 field carriage as a high school project.  He taught himself how to weld, built the wheels and tailstock, and learned to use an autocad program to get the dimensions right. OK, I am proud of him, and he got an 'A'.   

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #91 on: October 15, 2008, 10:16:59 AM »
It's the lad's piece that I want to see. Let's have a look at it. Sign him up with GB.
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #92 on: October 23, 2008, 02:15:46 AM »
My "tube" is a lenght of aircraft Hydraulic line picked up from CalAero in Paramount, Ca,

I spent many a happy hour in that place years ago, weighing out all kinds of not-to-be-found-at-Home-Depot fancy nuts & bolts into the paper bags they supplied.

Are they still in business?
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2008, 07:45:48 PM »
Hi, Victor3, I, too, have spent many hours in CalAero, and remember some geat stuff that I worked with! The last time I was in there was three years ago, I'm up on the Oregon coast now. I'll try to find out if they are still in business. The metal "parts" they stocked were really some out of this world stuff, and sold by the pound, remember? They are a true piece of Americana that needs to be experienced to be believed! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline navygunner

• Avid Poster
« Reply #94 on: December 31, 2008, 06:14:56 AM »
Guess i'm the "newbie" just ordered a mortar from Dominick(my first) I'm in mid-Michigan flint, belong to Battery D 1st Michigan light artillery (3) 10 pound parrots, mtn howitzer and a meembers 12 pounder bronze napoleon. Also a member of the U S Naval landing Party should have 2 mtn howitzers in the field this summer.
 :)
geo

Offline Pvt Bill

« Reply #95 on: January 04, 2009, 04:24:17 PM »
Pvtbill here,  out of Fort Phil Kearny, Dakota Territory Actually Story Wyoming built a golfball caliber cannon and carriage. Work at Ft Phil and we have a full scale Mtn howitzer and a full scale Bronze 1857 Field Howitzer (reduced bore 3.5). shoot these during the summer.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #96 on: January 04, 2009, 04:53:01 PM »
Welcome Bill, glad ot have you.  We have several fellows here who shoot the real deal and bunch of who wish we could, as long as ome one else pays the powder bill.

Offline Santa Dave

• RBS
  • GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #97 on: January 05, 2009, 08:40:09 PM »
I  guess I should send an update, I think only Jeeper1 and DD know I'm in Boise NOW! Theres 4 inches of this strange white  stuff outside & I can tell ya, we ain't got it in southern Cal!
I'm messin' with kite Aerial Photography  now . Might get some real strange pictures on the firing line now!
Nobody served me THIS Christmas! they waited two days  :'(

Merry Christmas And Happy New Year to all :)
Dave "Santa" Davis
Wear Something RED on fridayTo show YOUR support for our troops! Even if YOU don't support the war!

Offline Cornbelt

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #98 on: January 07, 2009, 02:08:38 AM »
In the cornbelt. DUH  (hoosier)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #99 on: January 07, 2009, 03:29:35 AM »
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline ratpatrol

« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2009, 03:58:25 PM »
  I am from central California, bay area , Fremont. Retired caterpillar mechanic. First cannon was with firecrackers green wallnuts and a 2 inch pipe about 1948. Lots of toys now, two  half scale field guns, bowlling ball mortar. Just finished a new field carrage. I am involved with buck skin mountain men, Several clubs have cannon shoots and have 10 to 15 cannons and mortars in competition

Hobbies,  Ratpatrol is from shooting ground squirrels from a jeep with windshield down.Reload for lots of guns,  Black powder cartridge ,cast bullets,  Gold prospecting, Metal work,got a lathe and a mill , Do a little gun smiting. As you can I fit in with Graybeard Outdoors real well ;D ;D

Offline Div Arty

• Avid Poster
« Reply #101 on: January 08, 2009, 04:38:51 PM »

Greetings neighbor.  Keep us informed on the shoots.  I'm dead east of you in Arnold, right above the gold country.  And maybe some pictures, I have just started a 1/2 scale field carraige myself. 

Good health to you in the New Year.    Div Arty

Offline PM Fourie

« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2009, 07:01:04 AM »
Hallo everyone

I am new to this Board / Forum.
I live in Edenvale just outside Johannesburg South Africa. I am an dedicated hunter using center fire rimfire and black powder rifles. The bug bit me when I saw a couple of gays shooting cannon at our shooting range. So I am new to the game and need all the help I can get and I see there is plenty of good help available on this forum.

Offline Double D

« Reply #103 on: January 12, 2009, 07:42:20 AM »
Welcome to our forum always glad to have a South African aboard.  Doyou get down to Durban?  The south African Miniature Cannon Club shoots the first Sunday of every month.

If you are looking for a good cannon to shoot, Pretty Ancient Antiques in Durban had a cannon for sale  built by the late Mike Pilgram.  I am still kicking my self for not getting that gun.  Mike built some very good shooting cannons.

Offline Ponydog

• Avid Poster
« Reply #104 on: January 12, 2009, 08:03:24 AM »
SwampEast Missouri............( southeast)   Where the snowgeese come to drive us nuts all winter
“when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government.”

Offline PM Fourie

« Reply #105 on: January 13, 2009, 02:07:19 AM »
Thanks Double D

I will definitely plan my next trip to Durban around the first Sunday of the month. I do go down there about three to four times a year, me being a fisherman as well.
I will try and contact Pretty Ancient Antiques and find out if they still got the gun.

Offline Double D

« Reply #106 on: January 13, 2009, 03:01:16 AM »
Let me know when you are headed to Durb's and I will get you the contact information.

Offline PM Fourie

« Reply #107 on: January 15, 2009, 02:14:09 AM »
Thanks Double D I will do that.

Offline Samurai5

« Reply #108 on: January 15, 2009, 04:54:34 PM »
Im also a Cannon "Newb"  (Dom Golfball Swivel gun)

Glad to have found this forum....I have lots of questions!  (I registered in another forum but this forum seems MUCH more active!)  ;D

I live in Las Vegas, NV  & would be interested in any shoots nearby!!!!!
Who is John Galt?

Offline Double D

« Reply #109 on: January 15, 2009, 05:03:40 PM »
We have a shoot for you Samuri. August 8th get on I-15 and go North until you get to the Shelby, MT exit.  Exit and go west to Cut Bank. only 1100 miles and freeway all the way. Hum, maybe you better leave a little early.

Offline Don Krag

• Contributor
    • KragAxe Armoury
« Reply #110 on: January 15, 2009, 07:22:24 PM »
I moved from Bryan, TX down to Katy, TX. Kind of put a damper on shooting fun, although my buds up in Bryan aren't but an hour away!

I get out to Las Vegas about once per year. Next trip I'll probably bring some ordinance. If not, I've already supplied a good portion of friends out there with a variety of medieval gonnes.

Just up the road, there's a "deep hole drilling specialty" industrial facility. My wife complains that every time we drive by I almost go off the road looking at the stuff on their loading docks. I really need to stop by and see what kind of drops they have!
Don "Krag" Halter
www.kragaxe.com

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #111 on: January 17, 2009, 07:27:29 PM »
Hello, Don "Krag", been to your web site, nice stuff, but then to find out u make "gonnes", too! Another multi-talented craftsman on the forum! Texas is blessed with another one of it's "Star's" (Lone Star State) keeping the BP sport alive! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline barefiel76

« Reply #112 on: January 20, 2009, 11:39:34 AM »
I am new to the site and cannons. I live in Brighton, MI. First couple cannons were Potato Launchers or various sizes and types. I started reloading this past summer and I'm looking into expanding into cannons.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #113 on: January 20, 2009, 11:47:39 AM »
barefiel76 -
WELCOME to the board.  You'll find several folks here from MI.

What would you like to shoot?  (Vintage, caliber, style)

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline 44-40

« Reply #114 on: January 29, 2009, 02:49:38 AM »
Gillette ,Wyoming , 75 miles to montana-75 miles to South Dakota ,born several years ago in Coos Bay, Oregon, still have relatives out there and try to make it once a year.Three grown kids, my daughter was 5 monthes along and shot her deer at 200 yds this year, the whole family including mom likes shooting sports and the outdoors . Own 10 acres, shooting bench is 20 ft from the back door, been collecting firearms, reloading and casting bullets for over 35 years and my wife says she still loves me ????

Offline Double D

« Reply #115 on: January 29, 2009, 03:59:02 AM »
Hey another S.N.O.B.!!!  I poked my head into this world in another century at Mercy Hospital in Roseburg...
graduated for Medford High School---when there was only one...did some Deputy Sheriffing south of you in Northern Curry County.

Welcome to the board!!!

Offline 44-40

« Reply #116 on: January 29, 2009, 07:53:25 AM »
My cousin loads ships in North Bend with Roseburg wood products, great grandma had a grocery and is buried in medford.I believe it was called Matlacks.I've been called an s.o.b. , Is a s.n.o.b. a good thing?

Offline Double D

« Reply #117 on: January 29, 2009, 08:16:05 AM »
You must be a child if you don't remeber S.N.O.B...do you remember Gov. Tom McCall.  He tried to save Oregon from becoming the northern most county in California.  The was a group called the Society of Native Oregon Born-SNOB.  The motto was welcome to Oregon, enjoy your visit and then go home!

If you want to read another piece of trivias about the region http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Jefferson.

Offline 44-40

« Reply #118 on: January 29, 2009, 08:35:48 AM »
Seems like when I was a kid there was a sign on the Ca. , Or. boarder that did say welcome to Oregon enjoy your visit. I'm a 58 baby, didn't have to register.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #119 on: January 30, 2009, 09:18:51 PM »
      Welcome 44-40.  You aren't really too far from us in Broomfield, CO.  We are about 20 miles Northwest of Denver.  Maybe we will see you at the Montana Model Cannon Shoot this year or at a Casper shoot sometime.  For the reason why the "State of Jefferson" was put on hold by WWII, see this:

Why “Jefferson” Armory?

Over the years, there have been several attempts to form a new state consisting of parts of southern Oregon and northern California; the most recent and best known occurred in the fall of 1941. This included a constitutional assembly, selection of Yreka, California, as temporary state capital, and the election and inauguration of a Governor. A contest was held to come up with a state name and Jefferson was selected; the winner received two dollars. Travelers were stopped on Highway 99 and given copies of a “Proclamation of Independence”. Newsreels were filmed of all these proceedings and were to be released nationally on Monday, December 8th, 1941. Needless to say, the attack on Pearl Harbor put the rebellion on hold for the duration of the war.

Although officially shelved, the Idea still fires the imagination of local residents and the mythical State of Jefferson exists for many of us, at least as a state of mind. To honor this local historic oddity I have decided to title this enterprise the Jefferson Armory.

Also to learn lots of interesting stuff visit this link:  www.jeffersonarmory.com/

Regards,

Mike and Tracy

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling