Author Topic: Just curious.... Where everyone is located?  (Read 117097 times)

Offline MikeR C

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Just curious.... Where everyone is located?
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2008, 05:32:46 PM »
Somers, North end of Flathead lake, Flathead Valley, Northwest Montana.

Small Stirling, vacumn, and steam engines. Hit&miss engines. Cannons, IPSC, bowling pins, and IDPA. Recreational mining (Quartz, garnets, saphires, and gold)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2008, 02:22:23 AM »
Hey, MikeR C we are neighbors, well right now we are neigbors.  I am just over the hill from you in Cut  Bank.

Offline MikeR C

• Avid Poster
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2008, 11:26:46 AM »
Used to gas up in Cut Bank then go east thru Oilmont to go varmint huntin between Sweetgrass and Whitlash. Been thru there many a time. Don't varmint hunt much any more, the new wife wants to put them on a little stretcher and take em to the vet :)

Are you thinking of movin? I was kinda looking forward to a cannon shoot in your neck of the woods...

Thx
MikeR C

Offline benjamaniac

« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2008, 01:41:28 AM »
Miles City Montana. Just getting started helping my youngest son (he's 21) with his first cannon. We're taking it slow and doing it right...and safely.
      Ben

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2008, 01:53:01 AM »
Ben -

WELCOME to the board!
I can't think of a cooler father-son project!

Tim K
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline quackgr

« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2008, 12:51:03 PM »
  I'm in southwest Nebraska, just finished 2nd mortar and just got back from the annual Caspar Wyo  cannon and mortar shoot, placed 3rd in iron ball comp. here is pic of first shot and side view, 16# shot putts.

Gerald  ps the pic is of the very first test shots!

Offline rmagill

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2008, 06:40:09 AM »
I'm a little late to the thread but I'm in  Coos County Oregon area, mainly North Bend

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2008, 05:30:38 AM »
I'm a little late to the thread but I'm in  Coos County Oregon area, mainly North Bend

RMAGIL -  WELCOME!  Let us know what you like to shoot!

This WEEK we're (Darlene and I) are in BUDAPEST!

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline rmagill

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2008, 04:16:43 PM »
   Actually I have quite a few smaller cannon up to a 1/2 scale Napoleon and a Lyle gun.  I like them all, but the smaller ones are definitely more convenient to shoot and clean
Bob 

Offline Double D

« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2008, 12:07:47 PM »
Bob,

Welcome to the board. Sounds like we Use to be neighbors, I use to l ive in Sixes.

25-30 years ago the material to build my first three cannons came for a boat yeard the in Coos Bay that built thise little Lumber tugs. 

Offline rmagill

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2008, 03:02:07 PM »
DD 
 little tugs were probably Nelson log broncs.  Grew up in Powers, spent last 6 years in Gold Beach , I know Sixes.  Been collecting and shooting cannons since the 70's
Bob

Offline Double D

« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2008, 09:10:35 AM »
Nelson Log Broncs it was.  The day I went there to pick up a piece on weldable monel for my first beer can mortar.  I got to watch them "weld" wearalloy plate to aluminum plate...Very interesting.

So why don't you open a new post and show some pictures of your guns.. We especially like pictures of smoke and fire.

Offline rmagill

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2008, 02:53:03 PM »
DD
sent you an email
Bob

Offline waynef

« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2008, 05:38:01 AM »
I'm new to the thread and find it very interesting and would like to learn more. I plan on attending the NRV in Oct.
I'm Located in Lexington, SC. We spent the last 20 yrs shooting BP Silhouette.

Wayne

Offline IvarForkbeard

• Avid Poster
  • Former US Navy BB stacker
« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2008, 03:31:55 AM »
Another new guy here.
Grant Mi is where I call home now.
Here is a link to a Youtube video of my test of my gun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdg4PuT1CZk

Thanks
Ivar
Former US Navy, living in West Michigan

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #75 on: August 31, 2008, 03:07:54 PM »
I'm a newb here . Longmont Colo. is home for me .
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2008, 07:19:38 AM »
I'm new to this forum.  There is some GREAT information on it. 

I just moved from Sonoma Co. CA. to Lake Co. CA.  I store a 3" rifle for a guy, and am working out trading storage against ownership (after a certain amout of time, in lieu of him paying me for storing it, it will become mine just so I keep it in the reenacting unit).  The gun was made by Steen, fully rifled, been to one live fire, hope to get to more once I figure out how to make projectiles. 

Can anyone give me hints on how to use a pendulum hausse?  More specifically, how much should I move the slide up for 200 yards, 400 yards, etc.  And, yes, I know it depends a lot on projectile weight and powder charge.  Just assume standard service charge and 9.2 pound bolt.  That will give me the general idea and I can fake it from there.  Heck, it is just a big peep sight on a big muzzle loading rifle  ;D
(little story about peep sights - I bought an H&R target rifle in 38-55 a few years ago.  When I went to the range I moved the sight down to the lowest (first) stadia mark, shot at 25 yards to see what it would do, hit about 5 inches high but centered left/right.  Shot at 100 yards - 5" shoot n see on a 20 x 40 sheet of paper.  Didn't hit the paper.  Tried again.  Didn't hit the paper.  Guy next to me said I was hitting high.  I had to drop the sight even more, about 2 stadia marks worth below the lowest mark, and aim about 5 inches below the center of the Shoot n see to hit it.  It grouped fine, just shot high as hell.  And that was with my tallest sight insert)
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline and7barton

• Avid Poster
« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2008, 10:12:25 PM »
I'm in the UK - Where you need a licence to breathe. Just finishing my 12th cannon !
Founder in 1986 of Historical Artillery Corps, later changed to Historical Artillery UK.
Builder of Cannons and models for South-Western Artillery, Fort Amhurst, Coalhouse Fort and private commissions.
Technical Consultant for two episodes of Scrapheap Challenge. Ex Pyrotechnic Safety Officer at Coalhouse Fort. I go trekking and survivalist camping - build experimental tents and survival equipment - caving.

Offline Double D

« Reply #78 on: October 04, 2008, 02:01:15 AM »
Welcome to the board, glad to have another Brit on the board. Give us a chance to learn about other cannons and mortars.

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2008, 03:36:24 AM »
I'm in the UK - Where you need a licence to breathe. Just finishing my 12th cannon !

Don't you need two?  One for inhale, one for exhale?   :o

Welcome.  Now I'm not the new guy! 

How do you manage to have cannon when you can almost be thrown in gaol for having a picture of a handgun?  Are you able to shoot them? 
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #80 on: October 04, 2008, 02:28:30 PM »
Hi, Folks, guess I'm the "newbie" this time, used to be almost neighbors to DD, and rmagill is just up the road! I call Port Orford home, last three years, and have been interested in BP about 20 yrs, building my first "open ended pipe bomb" (LOL) now, kind of a 1841 Mt. Howitzer on a Dalgren Boat Cannon Mount. It's a real work in progress, as progress is slow, collecting the necessary parts and supplies. It's a 2.25in bore, 25in long little boomer, with a 2in chamber, but I'm suspending work until I get more of the mount made, need to work on my woodworking skills. This is a great forum, and I have really enjoyed reading all the hints and tips from the "pro's", plus all the pics!
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Double D

« Reply #81 on: October 04, 2008, 03:48:37 PM »
Port Orford!!! Back in the late 70's early 80's during the Fouth of July Jubilee Celebration, I use to fire my cannon to protect "Captain Tichenor's" men from the Indians during the reenactment held on Battle Rock.

Now that cannon, there was a pipe bomb.  Schedule 80 pipe.   When rust started bubbling up around trhe seams we tossed it away and built another...I am a survivor and there is no real reason why.

Offline and7barton

• Avid Poster
« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2008, 12:06:56 PM »

How do you manage to have cannon when you can almost be thrown in gaol for having a picture of a handgun?  Are you able to shoot them? 
[/quote]

We have to be very careful !
Founder in 1986 of Historical Artillery Corps, later changed to Historical Artillery UK.
Builder of Cannons and models for South-Western Artillery, Fort Amhurst, Coalhouse Fort and private commissions.
Technical Consultant for two episodes of Scrapheap Challenge. Ex Pyrotechnic Safety Officer at Coalhouse Fort. I go trekking and survivalist camping - build experimental tents and survival equipment - caving.

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2008, 03:13:42 PM »
Yep, DD, those were the good old days, they don't do the reenactments any more! Sounds like you lived on the edge back then, that was a bit of a dangerous one you built there! Mine is built to the specs from BuckSticks, 12pound Mt. Howitzer, except everything in half. My "tube" is a lenght of aircraft Hydraulic line picked up from CalAero in Paramount, Ca, (80,000psi), so, no worries there! Like him, I had professional welding done on all necessary areas, worth the extra effort. Hydrafluxed clean, no voids, and ready to mount, except...the mount. I like the Steens Dalgren Boat Howitzer deck mount, with the added mobility of wheels. Talk about Hybrid! I'll keep you posted! Great site!
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #84 on: October 07, 2008, 04:40:53 AM »
Re: My last post....sorry, don't know where that "hydraflux" came from, I meant to say Hydro Static, I think! Anyway, I was corrected by the guy who did it, and I belive after he stopped laughing over the landline, he said "Hydro Static"! If not, I'll get another earful! Ya'll know, water pressure test on the welds...thats why I had it professionally done, 'cause I didn't even know the correct terminology! (or even how they do it!) But, the main thing is, "Safety first, Always!" No Boo-Boo's allowed in this "Sport"!

Offline and7barton

• Avid Poster
« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2008, 11:50:13 AM »
If there are any other cannoneers in the UK, perhaps they could PM me - if they are local to me we could perhaps get together. I'm currently building a GB calibre Carronade, with two alternative carriages so it can be swapped over.

Offline Double D

« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2008, 12:34:03 PM »
We have several Brits who drop in and out all the time.   Just post up you activities in a new post and I'm sure they will see them.

Offline loneoak

« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2008, 07:24:00 AM »
Just west of Missoula, Montana.  Any other Montanans out there?

Offline Double D

« Reply #88 on: October 13, 2008, 09:51:07 AM »
Benjamaniac is form Miles City and Mike Rc from Somer and I am in Cut Bank.  Might be one or two more lurkers

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #89 on: October 13, 2008, 11:45:33 AM »
Just west of Missoula, Montana.  Any other Montanans out there?

LoneOak -
WELCOME to the board!  What do you like to shoot?
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired