Author Topic: Something new  (Read 688 times)

Offline TOMMYY01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Something new
« on: October 04, 2004, 11:36:41 AM »
I found a spot (new) to hunt. Theonly problem, is that it's a booger to get to. There is a creek real close. Now I have some knee boots, but I'm not sure how deep the creek is. Well, I was looking on the BPS website. I found a deal on some hip boots. (50.00) They are insulated somewhat with 200 thinsulate.  :grin:  Now, I need for the mornings to get a little cooler. Have any of you used hip boots to get to a spot, and do you take another pair of boots once you get to your spot?
                                                                             tommy
I like my trophies on my wall and in my belly

Offline JPSaxMan

Something new
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004, 11:41:44 AM »
Well Tommy, I'm not sure how deep this creek is, but why don't you try to see how deep it is before you blow $50 on hip boots you might not need? Aw come on, don't be afraid to get your feet wet (it could save you $$$ :)  :-D ). And no, I can't say I've ever had to wear hip boots to get to a stand. Although my new LaCrosse AlphaBurly's (18" tall :eek: ) help getting me to my stand because there is a small brook en route, I've never had to wear hip boots. Good luck, whatever your decision is (you better be posting a story on here about gettin a 10 point out of this new stand) :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
Something new
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004, 12:01:38 PM »
Better buy a giant float tube to get the buck you plan to take at this stand back across also! :)  :)
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline JPSaxMan

Something new
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2004, 12:39:39 PM »
Yeppers, might just wanna get a jet boat; like the ones they use out in Hells Canyon :)
JP

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline TOMMYY01

• Contributor
Something new
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2004, 12:59:08 PM »
Believe me, I'll do my best. :)  It's just that there are so many poachers around and the rangers don't give a flip. They're probably all related anyway. :eek: Maybe the guy upstairs will give me a break. :wink:  When i lived in Tenn. I was getting at least 9 to 10 deer a year. Hopefully, when Emily finishes N C state I 'll be back in Tn.  :D  :D NC deer hunting program isn't to my liking. Should have never moved here :evil:
                                                                     tommy

Offline rockbilly

Something new
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2004, 02:52:50 PM »
Gotta be just a little crazy to jump in any stream ya don't know with hip boots or waders.  It's kinda hard to swim with them suckers on, and ya may have to go back and dive for your gun.

Check the place out before hunting season.  Don't go wading in any stream and take a chance of getting wet in cold weather........If ya don't wanna take this advice, is ya got a pretty young wife and a big insurance policy?

Hows ya gonna get the deer back across?

Offline JPSaxMan

Something new
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2004, 04:18:20 PM »
That's right, just a lil crazy  :P  :roll: . I meant just kinda test the waters; BEFORE SEASON. You're right, any man would be crazy to jump in that creek with a gun (or bow).
JP

Offline TOMMYY01

• Contributor
Something new
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2004, 08:15:16 AM »
I tried the new spot this morning. I didn't use my hip boots. I just used a trail beside the creek. I did wear my snake boots though.  :eek:  They come up to my knees, and I looked at the creek. There are 2 or 3 places that are deep. About 8:30 I heard somthing crossing the creek at a shallow poiint. I looked and there was 2 does. So I went to full draw, and just as I was getting to full draw, I heard a blow.  :shock:  There was 3 does instead of 2., but I hadn't seen the third doe.The first doe walked away but there was too much brush. I thought to myself ,ok I just wait for the second doe. Something alerted her and she started running toward me . So I said I'll on ein her spine . Well, as I was about at full draw, I heard a blow again. I looked without moving my head and there was 2 doe looking right at me. Needless to say, I din't get a shot, but next thursday, I got a plan of attack. I'm definitely doing some trim work before I settle in.  :)  And a couple of small jars of peanut butter. Hope that will work. I've been deer hunting quite a while , but this is the first time I just about started to get the shakes. What's up with this?
                                                                     tommy

Offline JPSaxMan

Something new
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2004, 09:22:56 AM »
What's up with the peanut butter? Enlighten me on this new zen technique, please. And if you're just bringing it along to eat it...hmm...don't sound too bad. Ate a CLIF bar this morning squirrel hunting. Tasted kinda weird...and it didn't seem to do much :roll: . Oh well...next time I'll get sumtin else.  :D
JP

Offline 7mm MAGNUM

Something new
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2004, 10:14:40 AM »
Fishman029, I know a few "old time hunters" (yes, older than me!) who have told me for years about deer liking the smell of  peanut butter!! :shock:

There were 2 older hunters who used to hunt with us that would consume 4 pieces of toast & peanut butter just before departing to go hunt,.. they would even take a couple along with them wrapped up in paper towel to eat in their spot.

Every now and then,... I'll do the same. But ya know,.. I do see deer on those days.

Coincidence??  I just don't know for sure! :wink:
Shoot Straight & Stay Safe!   :D

Terry Webster

Life Member NAHC
Life Member NAFC
Life Member NRA
Michigan Steelheaders Assn
MUCC
Michigan Bow Hunters Assn

Offline JPSaxMan

Something new
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2004, 11:34:52 AM »
Hmm...muzzleloader is almost less than a week away...gonna have to try that  :)  :wink: Thanks MAGNUM!  :D
JP

Offline TOMMYY01

• Contributor
Something new
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2004, 03:16:27 PM »
Deer love peanut butter! I've got to do some trim work where they cross the creek.  :oops:  I'll put one jar afew yds from the creek and jam the jar into a rotten stump. put another one about ten yds up from that one. As I was leaving the site I noticed a few twigs and branches that will leave the premises.  :grin: I'll use the hip boots next time. Thought for sure I would have one this morning :?  And yes, :grin:  the new stand didn't make a sound. I also used the l'il can this morning and I think that 's what brought them in. I liked using it also. Should be around 39-41 degrees next thurs. morning :-D  Perfect :D
                                                                    tommy